Splitting fractional expression into real/imaginary parts

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with splitting an expression into real and imaginary parts, specifically when trying to find expressions for absorption coefficient and index of refraction. The solution involves multiplying by the complex conjugate to get a real denominator.
Millertron
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble splitting the RHS of the following expression into real and imaginary parts:

[itex](χ'+iχ")/A = \frac{1}{ω-ω_{0}-iγ/2}[/itex]

(It's to find expressions for absorption coefficient and index of refraction, but that's irrelevant).

I've defined a = [itex]ω-ω_{0}[/itex] and b = γ/2 for simplicity, and am looking for the form given by Wolfram under 'Alternate form assuming a and b are real', as this has a clear real and imaginary part. So far I've got to

[itex]= \frac{1}{a-ib}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{a-ib}{(a-ib)^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{a}{(a-ib)^{2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{ib}{(a-ib)^{2}}[/itex]

only when I expand the squared brackets in each denominator I get [itex](a-ib)^{2}=a^{2}-b^{2}-2iab[/itex], which is no good as I need to remove the i's in the denominator.

I know it boils down to a simple algebra/complex nos question but I've been working on this problem for so long that my brain is ceasing to function. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
the trick is to multiply by the complex conjugate to get a real denominator
[tex] \frac{1}{a-ib}= \frac{1}{a-ib}\frac{a+ib}{a+ib}=
\frac{a+ib}{a^2+b^2}
[/tex]

lanedance said:
the trick is to multiply by the complex conjugate to get a real denominator
[tex] \frac{1}{a-ib}= \frac{1}{a-ib}\frac{a+ib}{a+ib}=
\frac{a+ib}{a^2+b^2}
[/tex]
[itex]\displaystyle=\frac{a}{a^2+b^2}+\frac{b}{a^2+b^2}i [/itex]

Of course! Definitely should've known this, thanks a lot guys!

no worries, one way to remember is that mulipllying by a complex congujate gives a you a magnitude, which is always real

1. What is a fractional expression?

A fractional expression is a mathematical expression that contains a fraction, where the numerator and denominator can be any mathematical expression.

2. Why would you need to split a fractional expression into real and imaginary parts?

Splitting a fractional expression into real and imaginary parts can help simplify complex expressions and make them easier to solve. It is also necessary for performing operations on complex numbers.

3. How do you split a fractional expression into real and imaginary parts?

To split a fractional expression, you first need to factor out the imaginary unit, i, if it is present. Then, the real part will be the expression without the imaginary unit, and the imaginary part will be the expression multiplied by i.

4. Can you provide an example of splitting a fractional expression into real and imaginary parts?

Sure, let's take the expression (3+4i)/(2-5i). First, we factor out the imaginary unit, i, from the numerator and denominator, giving us (3i+4)/(2i-5). Then, the real part is (3i+4) and the imaginary part is (2i-5).

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for splitting fractional expressions into real and imaginary parts?

Yes, when splitting a fractional expression, you should keep in mind that the real and imaginary parts should be simplified as much as possible. Also, the imaginary part should always be multiplied by i, and the real part should not contain any imaginary units.