Initial Vertical Velocity of a non - horizontal projectile (trebuchet)

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the initial velocity of a trebuchet launch using given data of distance, time, and height. Various equations are mentioned, including V2 = V1 + a(t), dy = V1(t) + 1/2(ay)(t)^2, V2^2 = V1^2 + 2ad, and viy = dy / t. The speaker is stuck on which equation to use and asks for help. Ultimately, it is determined that the equation viy = dy / t should be used to find the initial vertical velocity, which is calculated to be 1.48m/s.
genericphysic
I need to find the initial velocity of a trebuchet launch. Data I have is a distance traveled of 11.1 m, time of 1.25 seconds, height of the sling straight up at 1.85 m.

Equations I can use are V2 = V1 + a(t) , dy = V1(t) + 1/2(ay)(t)^2 , V2^2 = V1^2 + 2ad and viy = dy / t.

Finding the initial horizontal velocity was simple using vix = dx / t and I ended up with 8.88 m/s.
I know that the acceleration of y is 9.8 m/s^2 and so I think that I'm leaning towards one of the first three equations. Here's where I get stuck; I don't know which one to use because all of them have two variables that are missing. Also I'm not sure whether the maximum height of the sling off the ground will help me at all. I think that I'll be able to solve this problem if I can just figure out this initial y velocity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you need to use here is viy = dy / t.viy = 1.85m / 1.25s = 1.48m/s This is the initial vertical velocity of the trebuchet launch.

1. What is initial vertical velocity?

Initial vertical velocity is the speed at which a projectile is launched in the vertical direction. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How do you calculate initial vertical velocity?

To calculate the initial vertical velocity of a projectile, you can use the equation v₀y = v₀sinθ, where v₀y is the initial vertical velocity, v₀ is the initial velocity (total velocity at launch), and θ is the launch angle.

3. How does the initial vertical velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The initial vertical velocity affects the trajectory of a projectile by determining how high it will go and how long it will stay in the air. A higher initial vertical velocity will result in a higher peak height and a longer flight time.

4. What factors can affect the initial vertical velocity of a projectile from a trebuchet?

The initial vertical velocity of a projectile from a trebuchet can be affected by factors such as the weight of the projectile, the length of the trebuchet arm, and the tension of the sling.

5. How can the initial vertical velocity of a projectile be optimized in a trebuchet?

The initial vertical velocity of a projectile can be optimized in a trebuchet by adjusting the weight and size of the projectile, the length of the trebuchet arm, and the tension of the sling. Other factors such as the launch angle and release mechanism can also affect the initial vertical velocity.