Aromatic Nomenclature: Name This Compound

In summary, aromatic compounds are named based on the number and positions of their substituents on the benzene ring. The parent compound is always named as benzene, and any substituents are added as prefixes or suffixes to indicate their location on the ring. The rules for naming aromatic compounds include: 1) the parent compound is always named as benzene, 2) if there is only one substituent, it is named as a prefix, 3) if there are multiple substituents, they are numbered to give the lowest possible set of numbers, and 4) if there are multiple substituents of the same type, they are indicated by prefixes such as di-, tri-, etc. The location of substit
1/2"

Homework Statement

I have attached the picture of the compound .I can't figure the name , and the aromatic nomenclature is making me dizzy.:cry::cry:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ether is named as alkoxy benzene and 2 benzene ring attached is called naphthalene
But i don't know anything further and i don't if is naphthalene an IUPAC name or not.I tried combining the names but it didn't seem right .How do i name this thing?
Any help would really appreciated !
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot !

1. How are aromatic compounds named?

Aromatic compounds are named based on the number and positions of their substituents on the benzene ring. The parent compound is always named as benzene, and any substituents are added as prefixes or suffixes to indicate their location on the ring.

2. What are the rules for naming aromatic compounds?

The rules for naming aromatic compounds include: 1) the parent compound is always named as benzene, 2) if there is only one substituent, it is named as a prefix, 3) if there are multiple substituents, they are numbered to give the lowest possible set of numbers, and 4) if there are multiple substituents of the same type, they are indicated by prefixes such as di-, tri-, etc.

3. How do you determine the location of substituents on the benzene ring?

The location of substituents on the benzene ring is determined by assigning numbers to each carbon atom on the ring, starting with the carbon atom closest to the substituent. If there are multiple substituents, the numbering should give the lowest possible set of numbers.

4. What is the difference between ortho, meta, and para substituents?

Ortho, meta, and para are terms used to describe the location of substituents on the benzene ring. Ortho refers to substituents located on adjacent carbon atoms, meta refers to substituents located on carbon atoms separated by one carbon atom, and para refers to substituents located on opposite sides of the benzene ring.

5. Can you give an example of naming an aromatic compound?

Yes, for example, the compound with a methyl group and a nitro group attached to the benzene ring would be named as 3-methyl-4-nitrobenzene. The methyl group is located on the third carbon atom on the ring, and the nitro group is located on the fourth carbon atom on the ring.