Why is H3O positively charged?

• Thread starter krackers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charged
In summary, the conversation discusses the charges of molecules and ions based on their electron configurations. It is clarified that H3O+ does not have an extra electron, but rather is missing one electron due to its structure satisfying the octet rule. It is also explained that the "octet rule" is not a strict rule, but rather a mnemonic device. The charge on a system missing an electron is discussed and it is determined that H3O+ is positively charged due to its lack of an extra electron.
krackers
[H3O]+ has an extra electron, so shouldn't it be negatively charged?

Similarly, [NCO]-, with (for simplicity sake) a ressonance structure of N=C=O means N needs an electron, and thus the whole molecule is short of one electron. Doesn't that mean it is positively charged?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No it does not have an extra electron. Do the electron accounting and apply the octet rule.

Do you think that 100 years of PhDs in chemistry and chemical engineering are dumb and missed that H3O was negative?

Is this lewis dot not right?

Oxygen has 9 electrons when it should only have 8 to satisfy octet rule...
That means it has an extra electron than it needs to be stable, and by definition, is an anion. Because oxygen has an extra electron, so does the whole molecule. Here is a picture... is this right?

Attachments

• Test.png
    Test.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 5,869
Oxygen has 9 electrons? Gimme a Break! First find out how many electrons Oxygen ACTUALLY have? How many of them are in valence shell.

Oxygen has 6 atoms in its valence shell. It needs 2 more to be stable and satisfy the octet rule. If it was H2O it forms a covalent bond with hydrogen and both are stable. With H3O, there is an extra hydrogen so if it forms a covalent bond with that too, then the extra hydrogen is satisfied, but oxygen has one more electron than it had in H2O. So it has 9 total. Is this right?

Go read http://www.chem.ucla.edu/harding/tutorials/formalcharge.pdf - in fact, it even works out the hydronium ion for you.

Yes, but in the diagram it shows Oxygen has only 5 electrons (including the lone pair) to itself before bonding. Doesn't oxygen have 6 in the valence shell?

krackers said:
Yes, but in the diagram it shows Oxygen has only 5 electrons (including the lone pair) to itself before bonding. Doesn't oxygen have 6 in the valence shell?

What do you mean "before bonding?" The tutorial presents the structure of the hydronium ion and how to calculate the formal charge on each atom. Are you referring to the formation of hydronium ions due to water dissociation? One has a neutral water molecule and a hydrogen cation (due to some other water molecule dissociating into H+ and OH-) forming the hydronium ion.

krackers said:
Is this lewis dot not right?

Oxygen has 9 electrons when it should only have 8 to satisfy octet rule...
That means it has an extra electron than it needs to be stable, and by definition, is an anion. Because oxygen has an extra electron, so does the whole molecule. Here is a picture... is this right?
As you correctly point out, oxygen should have only 8 electrons (including those it shares with the hydrogen atoms) to satisfy the octet rule of stability. So ... there is no orbital for that extra electron to the lower left of the oxygen. That electron will not be part of this system, and you end up with a missing electron. What is the charge on a system that is missing one electron?

By the way, why do you think including that extra electron in your figure would result in a -1 charge? Count up all the protons and electrons, and see what you really get. Remember to include the 2 inner-shell electrons for oxygen that are not explicitly drawn.

AGNuke said:
Oxygen has 9 electrons? Gimme a Break! First find out how many electrons Oxygen ACTUALLY have? How many of them are in valence shell.
He was counting the electrons being shared with the hydrogens. Counted that way, it should be 8 from the octet rule.

Take an oxygen atom with 6 valence electrons. Remove one to make O+ with 5 valence electrons. Now make covalent bonds with three hydrogen atoms each donating one electron into the bonding, and you have H3O+, with 8 valence electrons around the oxygen, when you count the three that are shared from the hydrogen atoms.

And there you are!

Redbelly98 said:
As you correctly point out, oxygen should have only 8 electrons (including those it shares with the hydrogen atoms) to satisfy the octet rule of stability. So ... there is no orbital for that extra electron to the lower left of the oxygen. That electron will not be part of this system, and you end up with a missing electron. What is the charge on a system that is missing one electron?

By the way, why do you think including that extra electron in your figure would result in a -1 charge? Count up all the protons and electrons, and see what you really get. Remember to include the 2 inner-shell electrons for oxygen that are not explicitly drawn.

He was counting the electrons being shared with the hydrogens. Counted that way, it should be 8 from the octet rule.

Thanks! That makes sense. It is neutral when including the extra electron, but H3O cannot exist with that extra electron because oxygen has one over the octet, so it must give away that electron, resulting in a positive charge, and thus a positive charge on the whole molecule.

krackers said:
Thanks! That makes sense. It is neutral when including the extra electron, but H3O cannot exist with that extra electron because oxygen has one over the octet, so it must give away that electron, resulting in a positive charge, and thus a positive charge on the whole molecule.

Uh, I'm not sure that's exactly the best way to think about it. First off, the "octet rule" isn't really a rule, it's just a sort of mnemonic device to relate some observations for a section of the periodic table. Nothing happens "because of it". Also, I'm not sure if the picture you're having of a neutral hydronium complex forming and then an electron being lost is correct. I'm not sure it's wrong either, but my guess would be the scenario mentioned above of forming the proton and the OH- and then forming hydronium via H+ + H2O --> H3O+ .

chill_factor said:
Do you think that 100 years of PhDs in chemistry and chemical engineering are dumb and missed that H3O was negative?

I hope I am not digressing but often when students ask questions like these, they are trying to find out the reason for something which they don't clearly understand; they are not trying to question the validity of well established facts. (speaking from personal experience)

mishrashubham said:
I hope I am not digressing but often when students ask questions like these, they are trying to find out the reason for something which they don't clearly understand; they are not trying to question the validity of well established facts. (speaking from personal experience)

sorry a few trolls annoyed me off that day.

Einstein Mcfly said:
Uh, I'm not sure that's exactly the best way to think about it.
I think krackers now has a reasonable understanding, given that this looks like introductory level.
First off, the "octet rule" isn't really a rule, it's just a sort of mnemonic device to relate some observations for a section of the periodic table. Nothing happens "because of it".
Yes, but this is true of much that is taught at the introductory level.
Also, I'm not sure if the picture you're having of a neutral hydronium complex forming and then an electron being lost is correct.
krackers did say "but H3O cannot exist with that extra electron" in post #11. I think it's okay to include that electron as an intermediate step toward finding the actual configuration. Of course, one could also simply NOT include that electron in the first place; just fill in shared pairs and lone pairs around the oxygen to get 8 electrons, and do a final count (including hydrogen) to get the net charge.
I'm not sure it's wrong either, but my guess would be the scenario mentioned above of forming the proton and the OH- and then forming hydronium via H+ + H2O --> H3O+ .

1. Why is H3O positively charged?

The positive charge on H3O is due to the presence of three hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Oxygen has a higher electronegativity than hydrogen, meaning it has a stronger pull on shared electrons. This leads to the oxygen atom in H3O having a partial negative charge and the hydrogen atoms having a partial positive charge, resulting in an overall positive charge on the molecule.

2. Is H3O a stable molecule with a positive charge?

Yes, H3O or hydronium ion is a stable molecule with a positive charge. This positive charge is balanced by the negative charge of an anion, which is usually a negatively charged ion such as a chloride or hydroxide ion. The hydronium ion is an important intermediate in many chemical reactions and plays a crucial role in acid-base chemistry.

3. How does H3O form in water?

H3O forms in water when a hydrogen ion (H+) is attached to a water molecule (H2O). This occurs when an acid is dissolved in water, and the hydrogen ion is released from the acid. The hydrogen ion then attaches to a water molecule, forming H3O+. This process is known as hydration and is reversible, meaning H3O can also release a hydrogen ion to reform H2O and an acid.

4. Can H3O exist in a vacuum or in the gas phase?

H3O is a polar molecule with a positive charge, making it highly reactive and unstable in a vacuum or in the gas phase. It requires the presence of water molecules or other polar solvents to stabilize its positive charge. In a vacuum or gas phase, H3O will most likely dissociate into a hydrogen ion and a water molecule.

5. How is H3O related to the pH scale?

H3O concentration is used to measure the acidity of a solution and is directly related to the pH scale. A lower concentration of H3O corresponds to a higher pH value, indicating a more basic solution. On the other hand, a higher concentration of H3O corresponds to a lower pH value, indicating a more acidic solution. The pH scale is logarithmic, meaning each unit change in pH represents a 10-fold change in H3O concentration.