Probability that determinant has 0 value

In summary, the probability of a 2x2 determinant with entries chosen from the set {-1,1} having a value of 0 is 6/9, or 2/3. This is because out of the 9 possible determinant arrangements, 6 of them yield a value of 0. The remaining 3 arrangements result in a determinant with a non-zero value.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Entries of a 2X2 determinant are chosen from the set {-1,1}. The probability that determinant has zero value is

The Attempt at a Solution

Zero value can occur if all the elements of first row is 0. The remaining 2 places can be filled in 3*3=9 ways. Now other arrangements of -1 and 1 are also possible that will make it 0. I figured out all that arrangements manually and got a total of 7. So total possible arrangements = 7+9=16. the total no of ways by which this determinant can be constructed is 3*3*3*3=81. But the probability is incorrect. It's really tedious to manually figure out all the possibilities of zero and I'm not even sure if other possibilities also exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Entries of a 2X2 determinant are chosen from the set {-1,1}. The probability that determinant has zero value is

Zero value can occur if all the elements of first row is 0. The remaining 2 places can be filled in 3*3=9 ways. Now other arrangements of -1 and 1 are also possible that will make it 0. I figured out all that arrangements manually and got a total of 7. So total possible arrangements = 7+9=16. the total no of ways by which this determinant can be constructed is 3*3*3*3=81. But the probability is incorrect. It's really tedious to manually figure out all the possibilities of zero and I'm not even sure if other possibilities also exist.

The elements of the first row are not allowed to be 0, since all elements are either +1 or -1. Just write out the value of the determinant in terms of the four elements; you should be able to quickly list all the possibilities---there are not very many, and it is not tedious.

Ray Vickson said:
The elements of the first row are not allowed to be 0, since all elements are either +1 or -1. Just write out the value of the determinant in terms of the four elements; you should be able to quickly list all the possibilities---there are not very many, and it is not tedious.

But the question says "from the set {-1,1}" This means 0 is also included.

utkarshakash said:
But the question says "from the set {-1,1}" This means 0 is also included.

No, it doesn't. {a,b} is the set consisting of two elements a and b.

You may be confusing the set notation {-1, 1} which, as Dick says, means "the set containing only -1 and 1", with the interval notation, (-1, 1), [-1, 1], (-1, 1], and [-1, 1].

HallsofIvy said:
You may be confusing the set notation {-1, 1} which, as Dick says, means "the set containing only -1 and 1", with the interval notation, (-1, 1), [-1, 1], (-1, 1], and [-1, 1].

Yes. I confused it with the interval notation. Thanks for pointing out.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Hey,even i am trying to solve this very same question...
but i m struggling with cases.?
were u able to crack it..?? if yes then please tell me the cases and the solution

iaditya said:
Hey,even i am trying to solve this very same question...
but i m struggling with cases.?
were u able to crack it..?? if yes then please tell me the cases and the solution

He is not allowed to do that; it violates PF Rules. Also, do not use text-speak here; take the trouble to write things out properly. (You instead of u, I insted of i---i = sqrt(-1) here---please instead of please, etc.)

I figured out all possible determinants which comes out to be 9. Out of them 6 determinants yield 0. But the probability 6/9 is incorrect.

You might want to check the total number of different determinant arrangements. I got a total which was greater than nine

utkarshakash said:
I figured out all possible determinants which comes out to be 9. Out of them 6 determinants yield 0. But the probability 6/9 is incorrect.

How do you get 9? There are obviously ##2^4## possible determinants.

Pranav-Arora said:
How do you get 9? There are obviously ##2^4## possible determinants.

No. Some of them will be repeated twice if you interchange rows and columns. So effectively only 9 are possible.

utkarshakash said:
No. Some of them will be repeated twice if you interchange rows and columns. So effectively only 9 are possible.

So for example, [1, -1; 1, 1] is considered the same as [1, 1; -1, 1]?

Mentallic said:
So for example, [1, -1; 1, 1] is considered the same as [1, 1; -1, 1]?

That is what I know. Interchanging rows and columns changes the matrix but not the determinant.

utkarshakash said:
That is what I know. Interchanging rows and columns changes the matrix but not the determinant.

Yes, but the OP wanted to know what the probability was of getting a zero determinant. Although row interchange may not alter the value of the determinant, these are still valid matrices which have determinants, although coincidentally, their determinants are the same.

utkarshakash said:

I m getting 8 possible cases,so can you please list your 9 cases.?

From what I understand in the assignment we have 4 spots to fill with either -1 or 1. There could be:
a)four 1s
b)four -1s
c)one 1 and three -1s
d)two 1s and two -1s
e)one -1 and three 1s.
How many different variations would we have with any of the given choices?
a)1 also = 0
b)1 also = 0
c)4 , none can be 0
d)6 , all are 0
e)4 , none can be 0
Total of 8 out of 16.

I am not too sure about the probability though. If we have a pool of balls each marked either as -1 or 1 and there are an equal number of both balls and reshuffled after the completion of a determinant what is the probability of any of those possible sets occurring?

so we see that we have to hit 3 out of 5 possible sets. What makes it simpler is that any variation within the 3 sets gives us a determinant of 0.

Let us say we have a jar with 8 balls, 4 white and 4 black. We pick 4 balls randomly and what we would like is to have: all blacks, all whites or 2 of either after a draw.
What is the probability of picking 3 whites and 1 black or 3 blacks and 1 white?

We have to pick 3 whites/blacks - 4/8 * 3/7 * 2/6, now we're left with 5 balls. To complete the set we have to pick an opposite coloured ball, but also we have 4 possible times when the opposite coloured ball could come out so:
2(either coloured set)* 4(order of picking) * 4/8 * 3/7 * 2/6 * 4/5(picking a set) = 0.4571 ~ 46% chance,

The probability of our desired sets occurring hence would be ~54%

I am not saying this is correct, but it is, atleast, how I would do it.

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:

Wrong: interchanging rows (or columns) changes the sign of the determinant, but leaves its absolute value unchanged. (Of course, 0 = -0, so if the determinant = 0 it will remain unchanged.)

There are 16 independent matrices. One way to solve the problem is to list all the matrices and compute their determinants. There are 5 possible values of the determinant: -2, -1, 0, 1, 2.

As a way of rechecking I would say there are an N number of either coloured balls and N >= 4

To complete our 3:1 set the probability would be:
2*4 * (N/2N) * [ (N-1) / (2N -1) ] * [ (N-2) / (2N - 2) ] * [ N / (2N - 3) ]

after all that I get:
2( N³ - 3N² + 2N)
/
4N³ - 12N² + 11N - 3

think of the / as a division sign between the numerator and the demoninator.
With, say 10 balls of either the chance of our 3:1 set occurring is 49.5356%, but this is interesting, what happens if I increase the amount of either balls to, say, 50 -> The probability is now ALMOST 50%. What I can deduce is that the higher the N goes the more equal the chance of the determinant being 0 or not 0 becomes, however the chance of getting the 0 determinant set is always greater, if by a very small margin.

As N approaches infinity, the limit of that function would be 1/2 which is 50%, I don't know, why that is, though.

Last edited:
Suppose we write the general 2x2 matrix as
$$\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d\\
\end{array}
\right]$$
The determinant of this matrix will be zero if and only if ##[c \, d]## is a multiple of ##[a \, b]##. Consequently, I claim that I can choose ##a,b,c## however I like, and given this choice, there is exactly one value of ##d## which will result in a zero determinant. This should allow you to easily calculate the probability of a zero determinant.

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
$$\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d\\
\end{array}
\right]$$
The determinant of this matrix will be zero if and only if ##[c \, d]## is a multiple of ##[a \, b]##. Consequently, I claim that I can choose ##a,b,c## however I like, and given this choice, there is exactly one value of ##d## which will result in a zero determinant. This should allow you to easily calculate the probability of a zero determinant.

No: sometimes both values of d will result in a zero determinant. The determinant is
[tex] D = a d - b c[/tex]
so if ##a = 0## and ##bc = 0##, ##d## can be anything.

Ray Vickson said:
No: sometimes both values of d will result in a zero determinant. The determinant is
[tex] D = a d - b c[/tex]
so if ##a = 0## and ##bc = 0##, ##d## can be anything.
But in this problem, ##a,b,c,d \in \{-1, 1\}##.

jbunniii said:
But in this problem, ##a,b,c,d \in \{-1, 1\}##.

Oh, right.

jbunniii said:
$$\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d\\
\end{array}
\right]$$

The best method! Thank you!

The determinant (a b; c d) is zero iff ad=bc. The value of ad is either +1 (when a and d have the same sign), or -1 (when they have opposite sign). Each has a 50% probability. Likewise, bc is +1 with 50% probability or -1 with 50% probability, independently of what ad is. With similar reasoning, ad has a 50% chance of having the same sign as bc. That is precisely when the determinant is zero. So the answer is 50%.

davidmoore63@y said:
The determinant (a b; c d) is zero iff ad=bc. The value of ad is either +1 (when a and d have the same sign), or -1 (when they have opposite sign). Each has a 50% probability. Likewise, bc is +1 with 50% probability or -1 with 50% probability, independently of what ad is. With similar reasoning, ad has a 50% chance of having the same sign as bc. That is precisely when the determinant is zero. So the answer is 50%.

Nice solution:)

1. What is the significance of a determinant having a value of 0?

The determinant of a matrix represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation described by the matrix. A determinant with a value of 0 indicates that the matrix is singular, meaning that the transformation has collapsed all points onto a lower-dimensional subspace. This has important implications in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How can I calculate the probability of a determinant having a value of 0?

The probability of a determinant having a value of 0 depends on the specific distribution of the matrix elements. In general, it is difficult to calculate the exact probability, but it can be estimated using techniques such as Monte Carlo simulation or statistical analysis of large datasets.

3. Is there a relationship between the size of a matrix and the probability of its determinant being 0?

Yes, there is a relationship between the size of a matrix and the probability of its determinant being 0. As the size of the matrix increases, the probability of its determinant being 0 also increases. This is because larger matrices have more elements, increasing the chances of combinations that result in a determinant of 0.

4. Can a matrix have a probability of 0 for its determinant being 0?

No, it is not possible for a matrix to have a probability of 0 for its determinant being 0. This is because any randomly generated matrix will have some chance of having a determinant of 0, even if it is a very small chance. However, the probability of this happening may be extremely low, depending on the size and distribution of the matrix elements.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the probability of a determinant being 0?

There are many real-world applications of studying the probability of a determinant being 0. For example, in engineering and physics, matrices are used to model and analyze physical systems. The probability of a determinant being 0 can help predict the likelihood of system collapse or failure. In finance, matrices are used to model and analyze stock portfolios, and the probability of a determinant being 0 can help evaluate risk and make investment decisions.