What Are the Best Books and Resources for Understanding Transmission Systems?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for information on transmissions, particularly their parts and working principles, as well as the types of shafts used in them. The individual has searched online but has only found two books on the subject and is asking for additional resources.
mech-eng
I have to do a project on transmissions,their parts and working principles,shafts used in them.I searched but can't find good textbook aiming them.I found only two books. can you give me the names of transmission books.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
I have to do a project on transmissions,their parts and working principles,shafts used in them.I searched but can't find good textbook aiming them.I found only two books. can you give me the names of transmission books.

There are lots of online resources for this. What have you found so far online?

What type of transmissions? Automatic with fluid clutch? Standard manual transmission, maybe with dog gears to allow shifting without using clutch. Dual clutch transmissions. No lift shift transmissions.

berkeman said:
There are lots of online resources for this. What have you found so far online?

I have just looked up at wikipedia and found two books.In general I have to articulate mechanisms, gears and other key elemenst used in them and their working principle. It could be automatic or manual transmissions.can you share links and book names?

1. What is a transmission?

A transmission is a machine component that is responsible for transmitting power from the engine to the wheels of a vehicle. It uses gears and other mechanisms to transfer torque and speed from the engine to the wheels.

2. What is the purpose of a transmission in a vehicle?

The main purpose of a transmission is to control the amount of power and speed being delivered to the wheels of a vehicle. It allows the engine to operate at its most efficient speed, while also providing the necessary power and torque to the wheels for movement.

3. How does a transmission work?

A transmission works by using gears and other components to change the ratio of speed and torque between the engine and the wheels. It does this by engaging and disengaging different gears and using a clutch to control the flow of power.

4. What are the different types of transmissions?

There are two main types of transmissions - manual and automatic. Manual transmissions require the driver to manually shift gears using a clutch and gear stick, while automatic transmissions use sensors and computer systems to shift gears automatically.

5. How can you maintain a transmission?

To maintain a transmission, it is important to regularly check and change the transmission fluid according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is also important to avoid excessive towing or hauling, and to have any issues or strange noises checked by a professional mechanic.