Proof that the Square Root of 2 is Irrational.

In summary, the conversation is about using proof by contradiction to prove that √2 is irrational. The individual has shown their work so far, using the definition of an even number to show that p2 is even and questioning whether p must also be even. They continue to explore this idea and conclude that if both p and q are even, the fraction p/q can be further simplified, proving that √2 is irrational. The other person clarifies the importance of p being an integer in this proof. The conversation ends with the individual thanking the other person for their help.
Calu
I am trying to prove that √2 is irrational using proof by contradiction. Here is my work so far:

√2 = p/q where p & q are in their lowest terms. Where q is non-zero.

2=p2/q2

2q2 = p2

Which tells me that p2 is an even number, using the definition of an even number. We can use this definition because we know that q is an integer and an integer squared is also an integer. Hence 2q2 is even and as 2q=p2 we see that p2 is also even. Can we use the knowledge that p is an integer to say that p is also an even number? Or is there another rule that I'm not aware of?

If we can use this knowledge, then we can say that p=2n, where n is some integer, using the definition of an even number.

2q2=(2n)2
2q2=4n2
q2=2n2 where n2 is an integer, as n was an integer from the definition of an even number.

∴ q2 is also an even number. If both p and q are even numbers then the fraction p/q can be simplified further and p/q is not in its lowest terms. This shows that √2 is in fact not a rational number and proves that it is irrational.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:
I am trying to prove that √2 is irrational using proof by contradiction. Here is my work so far:

√2 = p/q where p & q are in their lowest terms. Where q is non-zero.

2=p2/q2

2q2 = p2

Which tells me that p2 is an even number, using the definition of an even number. We can use this definition because we know that q is an integer and an integer squared is also an integer. Hence 2q2 is even and as 2q=p2 we see that p2 is also even. Can we use the knowledge that p is an integer to say that p is also an even number? Or is there another rule that I'm not aware of?

If we can use this knowledge, then we can say that p=2n, where n is some integer, using the definition of an even number.

2q2=(2n)2
2q2=4n2
q2=2n2 where n2 is an integer, as n was an integer from the definition of an even number.

∴ q2 is also an even number. If both p and q are even numbers then the fraction p/q can be simplified further and p/q is not in its lowest terms. This shows that √2 is in fact not a rational number and proves that it is irrational.

All you need is that the square of an even number is even and the square of an odd number is odd. You can prove that. So if p^2 is even, p must be even since it can't be odd.

Dick said:
All you need is that the square of an even number is even and the square of an odd number is odd. You can prove that. So if p^2 is even, p must be even since it can't be odd.

If I take p2 = 6, p = √6 which is why I thought the definition of p as an integer was important, as √6 isn't even.

Calu said:
If I take p2 = 6, p = √6 which is why I thought the definition of p as an integer was important, as √6 isn't even.

Of course, it's important that p is an integer. Now I'm not sure what your question actually is.

Dick said:
Of course, it's important that p is an integer. Now I'm not sure what your question actually is.

It was really just whether knowing p was an integer was important. Now I know it is, so thank you.

1. What is the proof that the square root of 2 is irrational?

The proof for this dates back to ancient Greek mathematics, and it is known as the "Proof by Contradiction". It involves assuming that the square root of 2 is rational, and then using logical reasoning to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving that the square root of 2 must be irrational.

2. Can you explain the "Proof by Contradiction" in more detail?

Sure. The proof starts by assuming that the square root of 2 is rational, which means it can be expressed as a fraction p/q, where p and q are integers with no common factors. This assumption leads to the equation 2 = p^2/q^2, which can be rearranged to get p^2 = 2q^2. This means that p^2 must be even, since it is equal to 2 times another integer (q^2). From this, we can conclude that p must also be even, since the square of an odd number is always odd. However, if p is even, then it can be written as 2k, where k is another integer. Substituting this into the equation p^2 = 2q^2, we get (2k)^2 = 2q^2, which simplifies to 2k^2 = q^2. This means that q^2 is even, and therefore q must also be even. But this contradicts our initial assumption that p and q have no common factors, since both are even. Therefore, the assumption that the square root of 2 is rational leads to a contradiction, and we can conclude that it must be irrational.

3. Why is the proof that the square root of 2 is irrational important?

This proof is significant because it was one of the first proofs in mathematics to use the method of contradiction, which has become a fundamental tool for proving theorems in various fields of mathematics. It also shows that there are numbers, such as the square root of 2, that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, which was a groundbreaking concept in ancient Greek mathematics.

4. Can this proof be applied to other square roots?

Yes, the same proof can be used to show that the square root of any non-perfect square number is irrational. For example, the square root of 3, 5, 6, 7, etc. are all irrational numbers.

5. Are there any other methods to prove that the square root of 2 is irrational?

Yes, there are other proofs that exist, such as the proof using the Euclidean algorithm or the proof using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. However, the "Proof by Contradiction" is the most well-known and widely used method for proving the irrationality of the square root of 2.