Factoring and Divisibility Problems with 2^n - 1: Beginner Proof Method

In summary, the problem asks to factor 2^{15} - 1 into two smaller positive integers and to find an integer x such that 1 < x < 2^{32767} - 1 and 2^{32767} is divisible by x. The given equation shows that x can be expressed as 2 * (1 * 3 * 4 * ... * (n + 1) + 1) and it is mentioned that x must be a power of 2 for part b of the problem.
Hivoyer

Homework Statement

I'm given this problem and I think I'm supposed to use the same or similar method to solve both of its parts:

a) Factor [tex] 2^{15} - 1 = 32,767 [/tex] into a product of two smaller positive integers.
b) Find an integer [tex] x [/tex] such that [tex] 1 < x < 2^{32767} - 1 [/tex] and [tex] 2^{32767} [/tex] is divisible by [tex] x [/tex].

Homework Equations

It is shown above the problem that:
[tex] x = 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * ... * (n + 1) + 2 = 2 * (1 * 3 * 4 * ... *(n + 1) + 1 [/tex]
While I get that it's true, I don't quite see how I can apply the same to solving the problem.Can anyone give a hint?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried "guessing", however with no success.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any connection between the two.
Can you factorise x3-1?

For b, you realize that [itex]2^{32767}[/itex] can be divided evenly only by another power of 2, right? So x must be a power of 2.

1. What is a beginner proof problem?

A beginner proof problem is a type of mathematical or logical problem that is designed to help individuals learn the basics of constructing and presenting a proof. These problems typically involve simple concepts and straightforward logic, making them accessible to those who are new to proof-based mathematics or logic.

2. Why are beginner proof problems important?

Beginner proof problems are important because they allow individuals to develop fundamental skills in constructing and presenting proofs. These skills are essential for success in more advanced mathematics and logic courses, as well as in fields that require analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

3. How can I improve at solving beginner proof problems?

One way to improve at solving beginner proof problems is to practice regularly. Set aside time each day to work on a few problems, and seek feedback from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling to find a solution. It can also be helpful to study different types of proofs and familiarize yourself with common techniques and strategies.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving beginner proof problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving beginner proof problems include assuming that your conclusion is true without providing evidence, using incorrect or poorly defined terms, and making logical leaps without sufficient justification. It is also important to avoid circular reasoning, where your conclusion is based on the very thing you are trying to prove.

5. How do I know if I have solved a beginner proof problem correctly?

If you have solved a beginner proof problem correctly, your proof should be clear, concise, and logically sound. Your argument should be easy to follow, and you should have provided evidence for each step and any assumptions you made. It can also be helpful to check your solution against a provided answer key or ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor.