Algebra basic equations. r-2[1-3(2r+4)] = 61

• Thread starter Hierophant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question from a textbook on algebra and trigonometry. The question involves isolating the variable and finding its value. The individual has attempted to simplify the equation and isolate the variable, and the answer is apparently '3'. There is also a discussion on the best process for studying algebra and trigonometry.
Hierophant

Homework Statement

I am apparently missing a few details from the process of solving this...
This is a question from the chapter 1.1 basic equations of the textbook 'Algebra and trigonometry'

The question is:
r-2[1-3(2r+4)] = 61

I am supposed to isolate the variable and find the value of r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to simplify the left hand side of the equation, then attempted to isolate the variable.

The answer is apparently '3'

Also, what is a good process to study? I am right now teaching myself algebra and trigonometry. Any tips about the studying process will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hierophant said:
I tried to simplify the left hand side of the equation, then attempted to isolate the variable.

OK, why don't you show us what each step you did was? We will be able to instantly find any mistakes you made, or give you guidance as to what the next step is.

The answer is apparently '3'

Something many students don't realize is that checking answers is a lot easier than finding them. To see if the answer really is 3 all you have to do is plug 3 into your original equation and calculate what the left hand side comes out to be. I would recommend doing it.

Questions along the lines of "what's a good way to study?" are too broad to be useful. Read things and do lots of problems to practice is basically how you study, and how much reading and how much practicing you do depends a lot on the individual.

What is an algebraic equation?

An algebraic equation is a mathematical statement that uses variables, constants, and mathematical operations to show the relationship between two or more quantities.

What is the purpose of solving algebraic equations?

The purpose of solving algebraic equations is to find the value of the unknown variable(s) that satisfies the equation, and to understand the relationship between different quantities in the equation.

What are the basic rules for solving algebraic equations?

The basic rules for solving algebraic equations include performing the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance, combining like terms, and isolating the variable by undoing any operations that are being applied to it.

How can I solve the equation r-2[1-3(2r+4)] = 61?

To solve this equation, first distribute the 2 across the parentheses to get r-2+6r+12=61. Then, combine like terms to get 7r+10=61. Next, subtract 10 from both sides to get 7r=51. Finally, divide both sides by 7 to get the solution r=7.

What is the importance of checking the solution to an algebraic equation?

Checking the solution to an algebraic equation is important because it ensures that the solution satisfies the original equation and was not obtained through an error in the solving process. It also helps to catch any extraneous solutions that may arise in certain equations.