Using u substitution for integrating.

In summary, the person asks for tips on how to do u substitution well, and provides examples of substitution. They recommend practicing a lot and trying to identify patterns, and advise against using sin^3(x).
Mathmanman
So I am pretty bad at u substitution.
I don't really get how to replace values with du or u.

Can you please give me tips on how to do u substitution well?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the most basic example, u corresponds to some expression while du corresponds to the derivative of that expression. The main idea is to look for this pattern and eventually integrate.

Example:

[itex]1. \int 2x \sqrt{x^2+4} \: dx[/itex]

Let
[itex]u = x^2+4[/itex], then [itex]du = 2x \: dx[/itex], thus you have the form

[itex]\int du \sqrt{u} \: [/itex] or simply [itex]\int du \: u^{1/2} \: [/itex], and then you integrate:

[itex]\int 2x \sqrt{x^2+4} \: dx = 2/3(x^2+4)^{3/2} + C[/itex]

The best tip I could give you is to practice a lot and try to identify these patterns quickly. However, it may not be as easy and obvious at first glance, and sometimes algebraic manipulation or other things may come in handy before integrating. If it would be a [itex]4x[/itex] instead of a [itex]2x[/itex] then what would you do?

More examples:

[itex]2. \int \frac{ln(x)}{x}\: dx[/itex]

[itex]3. \int {sin(x)}^{3} \: cos(x) \: dx[/itex]

Last edited:
So... for number 2:
du = 1/x dx
and u = ln(x)
∫u du =
(u^2)/2 + c
([ln(x)]^2)/2 + c

But I don't know how to evaluate number 3.
what about sin^3(x)?

Mathmanman said:
But I don't know how to evaluate number 3.
what about sin^3(x)?

Try a substitution ##u=\cos(x)##. That will work rather nicely if you know your trig.

Often times I find it's useful to just try things, as there are only so many choices you can make. Sometimes they tend to work themselves out if you're lucky. Sure, this might seem fairly reckless, but it helps build your intuition when you see how it's wrong.

micromass said:
Try a substitution ##u=\cos(x)##. That will work rather nicely if you know your trig.

Or how about ##u=\sin x##? :rolleyes:

micromass said:

Pranav-Arora said:
Or how about ##u=\sin x##? :rolleyes:
Either will work- but, for integrating [itex]sin^2(x)cos(x)[itex], u= sin(x) is much easier than u= cos(x)!

1. How do I know when to use u substitution for integrating?

U substitution is most commonly used when the integrand contains a function within a function, such as sin(x2) or ex. It can also be helpful when the integrand contains a complex algebraic expression that can be simplified by substituting u for a variable.

2. What is the process for using u substitution?

The first step is to identify the function within a function and assign it as u. Then, find the derivative of u, du. Next, substitute u and du into the integral, replacing all instances of the original function. Finally, integrate the new expression and replace u with the original function to get the final solution.

3. Can u substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, u substitution is most commonly used for definite integrals, but it can also be used for indefinite integrals. However, there are certain integrals that cannot be solved using u substitution, such as those that involve trigonometric identities or logarithmic functions.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using u substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to change the limits of integration when using u substitution for definite integrals. It is important to substitute the new limits of integration in terms of u to get the correct solution. It is also important to check the derivative of u to make sure it matches with du in the integral.

5. Are there any tips for choosing u when using u substitution?

The best choice for u is often the function within a function, or a variable that can be easily substituted to simplify the integrand. It is also helpful to choose a function that will cancel out with the derivative of u, making the integration easier. Practice and experience can also help in choosing the most efficient u substitution for a given integral.