What is the absorption coefficient of black-colored water?

In summary, the conversation discussed the absorption coefficient of water and its relation to the attenuation coefficient. It was noted that the attenuation coefficient includes both absorption and scattering, while the absorption coefficient only measures the absorption of light. The conversation also touched on the equation for calculating attenuation and the units of the coefficient.
Basimalasi
I saw this on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water
Water_light_absorption_coefficient.gif

Isnt it supposed to less than 1 ?
maybe it has something to do with the unit ..why is it in m^-1?

Physics news on Phys.org
"m^-1" reads "per meter". What dimensions were you expecting?

It's a good point: how can you possibly absorb more than 100% of the incident radiation?

But that ##\alpha_w## which is on the vertical axis is the "attenuation coefficient", is this the same as "absorption coefficient"? There is a link to the definition under the top graph in your link, did you check it out?

Simon Bridge said:
"m^-1" reads "per meter". What dimensions were you expecting?

It's a good point: how can you possibly absorb more than 100% of the incident radiation?

But that ##\alpha_w## which is on the vertical axis is the "attenuation coefficient", is this the same as "absorption coefficient"? There is a link to the definition under the top graph in your link, did you check it out?

well obviously but I was expecting it to have no units .. there are three types of coefficients you take into consideration when a beam of light hits an object: the reflection co ,the transmission co, and the absorption coefficient and they're all equal to 1
α+β+τ=1
so the absorption co α has to be less than 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuation_coefficient

Attenuation versus absorption

The terms "attenuation coefficient" and "absorption coefficient" are generally used interchangeably. However, in certain situations they are distinguished, as follows.[4]

When a narrow (collimated) beam of light passes through a substance, the beam will lose intensity due to two processes: The light can be absorbed by the substance, or the light can be scattered (i.e., the photons can change direction) by the substance. Just looking at the narrow beam itself, the two processes cannot be distinguished. However, if a detector is set up to measure light leaving in different directions, or conversely using a non-narrow beam, one can measure how much of the lost intensity was scattered, and how much was absorbed.

In this context, the "absorption coefficient" measures how quickly the beam would lose intensity due to the absorption alone, while "attenuation coefficient" measures the total loss of narrow-beam intensity, including scattering as well. "Narrow-beam attenuation coefficient" always unambiguously refers to the latter. The attenuation coefficient is always larger than the absorption coefficient, although they are equal in the idealized case of no scattering.

and this is where i got the chart, I clicked on that link but I could not understand s***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water

That page gives you an equation: $$I(z)=I_0e^{-\alpha z}$$ ... where z is the distance through the material. I0 is the incoming flux, and I(z) is the flux after distance z.

This means that $$\alpha_z = -\frac{1}{z}\ln\left|\frac{I(z)}{I_0}\right|$$ ... so if a particular distance through the material removes roughly 35% or less of the incoming light, then the coefficient will be bigger than 1. A dimensional analysis will tell you what units ##\alpha## should have.

The absorption coefficient of black-colored water would depend on several factors, such as the concentration and type of black pigment present in the water. However, in general, the absorption coefficient of water is typically less than 1 due to its low absorption of visible light. The value of m^-1 in the units for absorption coefficient (usually cm^-1 or m^-1) represents the inverse distance over which the intensity of light decreases by a factor of e (the base of natural logarithms). This unit is commonly used in the field of optics to describe the attenuation of light as it passes through a medium. Therefore, the absorption coefficient of black-colored water would indicate the rate at which light is absorbed by the water as it passes through, and a lower value would suggest that the water is less opaque and allows more light to pass through.

1. What does the absorption coefficient of black-colored water mean?

The absorption coefficient of black-colored water refers to the measure of how much light is absorbed by the water at a specific wavelength. It is a crucial factor in understanding the properties of black-colored water and its impact on the environment.

2. How is the absorption coefficient of black-colored water measured?

The absorption coefficient of black-colored water is typically measured through spectrophotometry, which involves shining a light of a specific wavelength through the water and measuring how much of it is absorbed. The absorption coefficient is then calculated using the Beer-Lambert law.

3. What factors can affect the absorption coefficient of black-colored water?

The absorption coefficient of black-colored water can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of dissolved substances, temperature, and the presence of suspended particles. These factors can alter the light absorption properties of the water, thus changing its absorption coefficient.

4. How does the absorption coefficient of black-colored water impact aquatic life?

The absorption coefficient of black-colored water can have a significant impact on aquatic life as it affects the amount and quality of light reaching the organisms living in the water. High absorption coefficients can decrease the amount of light available for photosynthesis, which can have cascading effects on the entire ecosystem.

5. Can the absorption coefficient of black-colored water be manipulated?

Yes, the absorption coefficient of black-colored water can be manipulated by changing the concentration of dissolved substances or suspended particles in the water. This can be done through various methods such as filtration or chemical treatment. However, it is essential to consider the potential consequences of altering the light absorption properties of water on the surrounding environment.