Energy loss of damped oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy loss of a damped oscillator and how to calculate it. The formula for position and velocity are provided, as well as the equation for total energy. The speaker is unsure if the equation is correct and is seeking assistance in finding the energy loss or loss rate. It is mentioned that the loss rate is easy to calculate, but the expression for total energy can become complicated. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for help and announcing that the problem has been solved.
Bill12
Hi,

I do not know how to drive an experession for energy loss of damped oscillator.I know that:

X(t)=A exp(-Beta*t)cos(wt-delta)
and:
v=dx/dt...
I found E=K+U
but it seems to be so messy. It is like:

E=(1/2)*m*(A^2)*exp(-2*beta*t)[ beta^2 (cos(wt-delta))^2)+beta*

sin 2(wt-delta)+w^2 ]

I do not know if it is right or not but also I do not know how to get the energy loss from it.

I will thank for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want loss, or loss rate? Loss rate is easy. dE/dt is proportional to v^2. Integrating results indeed in a complicated expression. But if you are in an underdamped regime (many oscillations before the movement decays away), the expression represents an exponential decay with a small modulation on top of it. If you are not interested in the small modulation, the expression is very simple. You can find it for example by finding 1/2 mv^2 at those times when x goes through zero.

Finally solved it.
Thanks for help.

What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior (i.e. repetitive back-and-forth motion) but also experiences a gradual decrease in amplitude over time due to the dissipation of energy.

How does energy loss occur in a damped oscillator?

Energy loss in a damped oscillator occurs through various mechanisms such as friction, air resistance, and internal damping forces. These forces convert the kinetic energy of the oscillator into heat, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.

What factors affect the rate of energy loss in a damped oscillator?

The rate of energy loss in a damped oscillator is affected by factors such as the amplitude of the oscillations, the properties of the material the oscillator is made of, and the amount of damping present in the system.

How is the energy loss of a damped oscillator quantified?

The energy loss of a damped oscillator can be quantified using a parameter called the damping coefficient, which is a measure of the amount of energy dissipated per unit time. It can also be described using the Q factor, which is the ratio of the energy stored in the oscillator to the energy lost per cycle.

How can the energy loss of a damped oscillator be minimized?

The energy loss of a damped oscillator can be minimized by reducing the amount of damping present in the system, using materials with low damping coefficients, and choosing an appropriate driving frequency that minimizes energy loss. Additionally, regular maintenance and lubrication of the oscillator can help reduce friction and energy loss.