Can you resist the urge to pop bubble wrap? Share your thoughts!

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bubble
In summary, the conversation is mainly about people's love for bubble wrap and their different ways of enjoying it. Some participants feel that they are too old to enjoy it, while others argue that it can be recycled and reused. There is also a discussion about different methods of popping the bubbles, including using a hypodermic syringe filled with helium and sealant. Ultimately, there is a suggestion to ship used bubble wrap to a recycling center instead of throwing it away.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I don't care if I'm nineteen! I still love bubblewrap! So fun! *pop*

Anyone else not too grown up for this stuff, or is it just me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont worry man its not just you.

I still love the stuff. I enjoy jumping on it:rofl: :rofl:

Well, both of you are irresponsible teenagers, so you may be excused, but I'm 34..:blushing:

Part of my hoarding instinct, I guess, but I can't stand to waste anything. So as much as I would love to just get in there and pop the hell out of the little buggers, I don't.:frown:

Everyone loves that stuff! I have two packages coming in this week, hopefully I will get some wrap :smile:

Thanks, Bob! Now I can indulge! I've added it to my 'favourites' list.:biggrin:
Now... any virtual gophers to shoot?

arildno said:
Well, both of you are irresponsible teenagers, so you may be excused, but I'm 34..:blushing:
I'll be 34 in two weeks, and I still love bubble wrap too! :biggrin: It was the biggest treat in the world when I was a kid and my grandfather would visit with a few sheets of bubble wrap he picked up at work. We'd take our shoes off, put the bubble wrap down on the floor, and...*POP* *pop* *POP* *POP* *pop* *pop* :rofl:

My parents used to get so pissed off at me for depopping any bubble wrap I could find.
Now, I live by myself, so finally, in their old age, they may start to explore the joys of bubble wrap popping I prevented them from experiencing.
From what I know, they haven't started yet, they'd better hurry..

Last edited:
I never got into it myself...

Smurf said:
Well, if you had, you would have been loath to wrap yourself into anything else.
So perhaps it is for the best.

BobG said:
Bubble wrap in cyberspace. Enjoy! :biggrin:

Bless you for that find Bob.

Smurf said:
well, being smaller than a mushroom, I would assume it would be a challenging task.

matthyaouw said:
I don't care if I'm nineteen! I still love bubblewrap! So fun! *pop*

bubblewrap.jpg
Wow matt ! You look a little young for 19 !

I have never popped bubble wrap. You do not waste good bubble wrap! :grumpy:

Evo said:
Popping it isn't wasting it! It's...recycling! Once it's done being used for it's first function of padding stuff in shipment, you get to use it a second time for entertainment! :biggrin: Yeah, that's the ticket. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Popping it isn't wasting it! It's...recycling! Once it's done being used for it's first function of padding stuff in shipment, you get to use it a second time for entertainment! :biggrin: Yeah, that's the ticket. :approve:
You're as bad as the Evo Child, she is always popping the stuff. :grumpy: Once you pop it, it's dead. :cry:

Evo said:
You're as bad as the Evo Child, she is always popping the stuff. :grumpy: Once you pop it, it's dead. :cry:

What? Do you save the stuff or something? That's just crazy...

Evo said:
You sound like my mother..:frown:

Townsend said:
What? Do you save the stuff or something? That's just crazy...
Of course I save it and reuse it.

Evo said:
Of course I save it and reuse it.

That's just plain crazy I tell you

Townsend said:
That's just plain crazy I tell you
Oh, and destroying it so it becomes more plastic in the landfill is ok? bubblewrap murderer

they have that bubble wrap that supposedly never stops popping. I guess you're able to pop it forever

Evo said:
Oh, and destroying it so it becomes more plastic in the landfill is ok? bubblewrap murderer
Nonsense. Just repair the bubble wrap after you're done popping the bubbles.

A hypodermic syringe with just the precise amount of helium and sealant will prepare the bubble wrap for a brand new use! You can chew the bubble wrap, creating the greatest 'gum popping' sounds ever made, plus enjoy the side benefit of sounding like a munchkin when you talk!

Of course, there is a limit to the number of times the bubble wrap can be recycled. The sealant will slowly build up over time and eventually there won't be any room left in the bubbles for reinflation.

CAUTION: Don't try this if you're a heroin addict. Inadvertantly injecting yourself with the wrong syringe (the helium and sealant filled syringe) is misuse of the product by the consumer and will void your warranty.

matthyaouw said:
Anyone else not too grown up for this stuff, or is it just me?
What do you mean by that? :devil: I can't see what's wrog with it, that you say "not too grown up for this stuff"? :grumpy:

Ok I admit that I like them too! :blushing: Others have to hide them because I like poping them. :grumpy:

When the useful life of your bubble wrap finally comes to an end, it doesn't have to wind up in a landfill. You can ship it (at your cost) to one of the following http://www.sealedair.com/enviro/recycle_bubble.html [Broken]. :approve:

:uhh: Wait a minute! How are you supposed to protect your bubble wrap during shipment? :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
When the useful life of your bubble wrap finally comes to an end, it doesn't have to wind up in a landfill. You can ship it (at your cost) to one of the following http://www.sealedair.com/enviro/recycle_bubble.html [Broken]. :approve:
Thank you BobG, I am starting a petition to make the senseless popping of bubblewrap a felony. :devil:

Ok, people, you now know the proper thing to do with that used bubblewrap, no more excuses. :grumpy:

:uhh: Wait a minute! How are you supposed to protect your bubble wrap during shipment? :uhh:
I'm packing mine in styrofoam nuggets.

did anyone read that site? various methods to pop the bubble wrap... eitiquite... very nice stuff... i liked the guy who fed the bubble wrap through the typewriter... i can just picture that...
also, i like the dianostics... the various sorts of bubbles... some people take it very seriously apparently. and also, when you pop their virtual bubbles, they even have buddy bubbles, (which are my favorite kinds!) and you have to buddy pop them with both fingers! way cool.

Smurf said:
Evo said:
There we have it - living proof that Evo and Smurf are Aliens From Planet Earth. No human can resist bubble wrap.

There were people on that website who had bubble wrap popping rates of more than 200 pops per second! :cry:

I'm a closet bubble popper, I only do it...alone, in a dark closet, where no one can here the tiny bubbles scream.

BobG said:

Protect it with styrofoam.:smile: So how can I recycle those big pieces of styrofam that everything from China comes packed in??::confused:

Has anyone tried running bubble wrap though a paper shredder? It would be easier to pack up and send to the recycling center that way. You could even stuff it into old plactic milk bottles for shipment.:bugeye:

Smurf said:

What kind of weird and tormented child were you??

Can you imagine, life without bubble rap? :bugeye:

That's not bubblewrap.
This is bubblewrap!
(My ears are ringing...)

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
That's not bubblewrap.
This is bubblewrap!
(My ears are ringing...)

Psh! That wouldn't keep me amused for 20 seconds! :tongue2: