Rotational Motion Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a ball attached to a massless rod that is being accelerated around the free end of the rod. The question is whether the moment of inertia for this system is simply mr^2, or if it also includes the rotation of the ball around its own axis. The conclusion is that the more accurate calculation would include the rotational inertia of the ball as well, not just the approximation used in the book.
Moose352
I got a little confused thinking about this. Consider a ball attatched to a (massless) rod. This system is to be accelerate about the free end of the rod. From what I know, the moment of inertia for this system would simply be the mr^2, since this is the same case as a free ball being accelerated at the same rate. However, it seems to me that the ball is also rotating around its own axis (since it is fixed on the rod), and thus wouldn't the force necessary for the same rate of acceleration be greater?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this question too dumb for anyone to even answer? :wink:

Originally posted by Moose352
Is this question too dumb for anyone to even answer? :wink:
No, it's an excellent question.

Originally posted by Moose352
However, it seems to me that the ball is also rotating around its own axis (since it is fixed on the rod), and thus wouldn't the force necessary for the same rate of acceleration be greater?
I would say that the answer is yes. Using I = mL2 (L is length of stick) is just an approximation: it assumes the radius of the ball can be neglected.

A more realistic value for rotational inertia must include that of the ball as well:

[tex]I = I_{ball} + mL^2 = \frac{2}{5}mR^2 + mL^2[/tex]

Thanks Doc. My physics instructor (and the book) was saying otherwise and wouldn't concede to my view.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It can occur in both circular and non-circular paths.

2. What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis. Additionally, linear motion involves translation, where the entire object moves in the same direction, while rotational motion involves rotation, where different parts of the object move at different speeds and directions.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Angular displacement is the change in angle of an object, angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, and angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while tangential velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity describes how fast an object is rotating, while tangential velocity describes how fast an object is moving in a circular path.

5. How does rotational motion affect objects in terms of energy?

Rotational motion can affect an object's kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is related to the object's angular velocity, while potential energy is related to its position or orientation. Additionally, rotational motion can also result in the transfer of energy from one object to another through collisions or interactions.