Tension in Rope for Box at Rest: 0N

• Thread starter TonkaQD4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Rope
In summary, the box has a force of 597.8N when it is at rest, and 598N when it is accelerating at 5.10m/s^2.
TonkaQD4
A 61.0kg box hangs from a rope. What is the tension in the rope if:

(a) The box is at rest?
(b) The box moves up a steady 5.10m/s?
(c) The box has v_y = 5.10m/s and is speeding up at 5.10m/s^2? The y-axis points upward.
(d) The box has v_y = 5.10m/s and is slowing down at 5.10m/s^2?

This problem seems easy, but because I cannot even get part (a) I am confused and need help.

To me it seems like part (a) should be either 0N or 61N.
F=ma
F=61kg(0m/s^2) ---> box at rest means acceleration is zero right?
F=0N

Physics news on Phys.org
Analyze the forces acting on the box (there are two) and apply Newton's 2nd law (Fnet=ma). You're right that "ma" = 0, but that means that the net force is zero.

I am still a little confused.
The two forces are Tension and Weight, which if the Acceleration is zero, doesn't this mean that the force of the tension and weight are the same.

Gravity...

So it would be 61kg times 9.8m/s^2 = 597.8N for part (a)

How do I tackle part (b)?

TonkaQD4 said:
I am still a little confused.
The two forces are Tension and Weight, which if the Acceleration is zero, doesn't this mean that the force of the tension and weight are the same.
Exactly. The force equation is: T - mg = ma = 0; so T = mg.

TonkaQD4 said:
How do I tackle part (b)?
Using the same method. What's the acceleration in this case?

5.10 ?

TonkaQD4 said:
5.10 ?
No. 5.10 m/s is the speed, which is steady. (Note that acceleration has units of m/s^2, not m/s.)

So, what's the acceleration of something moving upward at a steady speed?

Zero

TonkaQD4 said:
Zero
Yep. Next!

Ok so it 598N again.

Now part (c)...
It is accelerating at 5.10m/s^2

T-mg=ma

ma= 61(5.1) = 311N
mg= 598N

T= ma+mg= 311N+598N = 909N

Part (d) would then be 598N - 311N = 287N

Thanks for your help!

Perfect! (for b, c, & d!)

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is exerted by the rope when it is pulled on from opposite ends. It is a measure of how much the rope is stretched or compressed.

2. How is tension calculated in a rope?

Tension can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the rope by the cross-sectional area of the rope. This is known as the stress in the rope and is measured in units of force per unit area, such as newtons per square meter.

3. Does tension in a rope affect an object at rest?

Yes, tension in a rope can affect an object at rest. If the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the object, then the object will remain at rest. However, if the tension is greater or less than the weight, the object may start to move or accelerate.

4. What is the meaning of "0N" in the context of tension in a rope for a box at rest?

In this context, "0N" refers to the amount of tension in the rope when the box is at rest. This means that the force applied to the rope is equal to the weight of the box, resulting in a balanced system where the box remains stationary.

5. Can tension in a rope change over time?

Yes, tension in a rope can change over time. It can increase or decrease depending on the amount of force being applied to the rope, the elasticity of the rope, and the weight of the object it is supporting. It is important to regularly monitor tension in ropes to ensure safety and stability.