Why is e and ln(2) used in the radioactive decay formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of e and the natural log of 2 in the decay formula, with one person preferring to use a simpler formula involving a half-life. The other person explains the convenience of using base e and the relationship between lambda and half-life. They also discuss the use of integrals to solve the differential equation. Ultimately, the choice of which formula to use is a matter of personal preference and convenience in calculation.
SReinhardt
What lead them to use e and the natural log of 2 in the decay formula? A much simpler (to me at least) method would is:

N=No*.5^(time/half life)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well since

[tex]N=N_0 e^{- \lambda t}[/tex]

when t=half-life(T); N=[itex]\frac{N_0}{2}[/itex]

[tex]\frac{N_0}{2}=N_0 e^{- \lambda T}[/tex]

simplify that by canceling the N_0 and then take logs and you'll eventually get

[tex]T=\frac{ln2}{\lambda}[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
Well since

[tex]N=N_0 e^{- \lambda t}[/tex]

when t=half-life(T); N=[itex]\frac{N_0}{2}[/itex]

[tex]\frac{N_0}{2}=N_0 e^{- \lambda T}[/tex]

simplify that by canceling the N_0 and then take logs and you'll eventually get

[tex]T=\frac{ln2}{\lambda}[/tex]

I'm curious on why they chose to use [tex]N=N_0 e^{- \lambda t}[/tex] instead of [tex]N = N_O .5^{\frac{t}{half-life}}[/tex] The 2nd one is one that I figured out, and it makes more sense to me; it is based off the idea of half-lives. (I'm not saying it's original or hasn't been done before, just was never shown to me)

It's the same question as "why log base e and not log base 2"? It happens to make some calculations easier. (Note that your calculator has a ln(x) button but probably not a log2(x) button)

Vanadium 50 said:
It's the same question as "why log base e and not log base 2"? It happens to make some calculations easier. (Note that your calculator has a ln(x) button but probably not a log2(x) button)

I've never had any issues using it...I can see where you're coming from though. Your point is for when you're solving for the time or half-life. But then all you have to do is take the log10 and divide.

It could also be I use it just to make my teacher grade things two ways xD

the differential equation is:

[tex] \frac{dN}{dt} = \lambda N [/tex]

Solve it.

malawi_glenn said:
the differential equation is:

[tex] \frac{dN}{dt} = \lambda N [/tex]

Solve it.

Wouldn't there have to be a negative sign in there somewhere >_>

I believe you have to use integrals to solve that, which I haven't done yet.

SReinhardt said:
Wouldn't there have to be a negative sign in there somewhere >_>

I believe you have to use integrals to solve that, which I haven't done yet.

yeah it should have a minus sign, good! :-)

Solving this:

[tex] \int N ^{-1}dN = - \int \lambda dt [/tex]

[tex] \ln(N(t)) - \ln(N(0)) = -\lambda t [/tex]

[tex] \ln(N(t)/N(0)) = -\lambda t [/tex]

[tex] N(t)/N(0) = e^{-\lambda t } [/tex]

[tex] N(t) = N(0) e^{-\lambda t } [/tex]

Lambda is the number of decays per unit time, is related to half life by:
[tex] \lambda = \frac{\ln 2}{T_{1/2}} [/tex]

malawi_glenn said:
yeah it should have a minus sign, good! :-)

Solving this:

[tex] \int N ^{-1}dN = - \int \lambda dt [/tex]

[tex] \ln(N(t)) - \ln(N(0)) = -\lambda t [/tex]

[tex] \ln(N(t)/N(0)) = -\lambda t [/tex]

[tex] N(t)/N(0) = e^{-\lambda t } [/tex]

[tex] N(t) = N(0) e^{-\lambda t } [/tex]

Lambda is the number of decays per unit time, is related to half life by:
[tex] \lambda = \frac{\ln 2}{T_{1/2}} [/tex]

So if you used based base .5 instead of base e, you'd get what I worked out on my own. The main thing that would change then would be the [tex]\lambda[/tex]

it is easier working with base e when solving the differential eq.

Then if you think it is easier to work in basis 0.5 when you calculate, then it is up to you.

and practically, it is easier to measure the decay constant lambda then the half life.

1. How does the radioactive decay formula work?

The radioactive decay formula, also known as the decay law, describes the rate at which a radioactive substance decays over time. It states that the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of the substance present. This means that as the amount of the substance decreases, so does the rate of decay.

2. What is the mathematical representation of the radioactive decay formula?

The mathematical representation of the radioactive decay formula is N(t) = N0 * e^(-λt), where N(t) is the amount of substance remaining at time t, N0 is the initial amount of substance, e is the mathematical constant 2.71828, and λ is the decay constant.

3. How is the decay constant determined?

The decay constant, λ, is determined by the half-life of the radioactive substance. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of substance to decay. The decay constant is calculated using the equation λ = ln(2)/t1/2, where t1/2 is the half-life.

4. Does the radioactive decay formula apply to all radioactive substances?

Yes, the radioactive decay formula applies to all radioactive substances. This is because the rate of decay is dependent on the amount of substance present, not the specific type of substance.

5. How is the radioactive decay formula used in scientific research and applications?

The radioactive decay formula is used in a variety of scientific research and applications, including carbon dating, radiometric dating, and nuclear medicine. It allows scientists to determine the age of objects, track the movement of materials through different systems, and diagnose and treat medical conditions.