Mahjong Patience: 25% Success Rate and Blind Spots

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure how much longer I can last...In summary, the player has become addicted to the game and has difficulty winning. There is a blind spot where the player cannot spot the match when it is so obvious.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have become addicted to it, while my internet is down, so far i have a 25% success rate,
the thing is the last dozen or so tiles, the game says there is one move left, but i can look for ages and not spot it, in the end i go for (hint) when it shows where the match is it is so obvious, is it common to have a (blind spot) like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That can happen when you randomly look at different parts of the board over and over again. When that happens, you can always check one tile at a time going from top to bottom.

I understand, I have gone as far as to run and get a neighbor to help spot the "missing" match.

hypatia said:
I understand, I have gone as far as to run and get a neighbor to help spot the "missing" match.

Hypatia, i do not know anyone else that plays this game, what is a good average?

wolram said:
Hypatia, i do not know anyone else that plays this game, what is a good average?
Where did you download yours, Woolie? I have played a few of these stacked-tile games and some are a lot user friendly than others.

turbo-1 said:
Where did you download yours, Woolie? I have played a few of these stacked-tile games and some are a lot user friendly than others.

Mine came with the Vista package.

You should try real Mahjong, its like gin/rummy. That game is just a match game using its pieces.

But I agree, very very addicting!

Which are you playing? Cat? Dragon, turtle?

K.J.Healey said:
Which are you playing? Cat? Dragon, turtle?

Cat and dragon are to easy, i only play turtle.

I have no idea what a good score is, Woolie. In fact I don't think I've ever noticed what my score is...I'm just happy to finish that god-forsaken, time-sucking, addiction-forming game.

But do they try to pretend that the tiles are placed randomly? When I play the turtle, the top tile almost always covers one of its pairs :grumpy: !

lisab said:
I have no idea what a good score is, Woolie. In fact I don't think I've ever noticed what my score is...I'm just happy to finish that god-forsaken, time-sucking, addiction-forming game.

But do they try to pretend that the tiles are placed randomly? When I play the turtle, the top tile almost always covers one of its pairs :grumpy: !

There is no way the tiles come out randomly, and i am sure not every game is winable, heck i have been wiped out after only ten moves or so, and the worst is when two tiles are left both the same one on top of tother.

Yeah, it's fun, I got it with Vista too, one of the few upsides.

binzing said:
Yeah, it's fun, I got it with Vista too, one of the few upsides.

I usually switch on then make a cup of coffee prep dinner, it is just about booted up then, i plan on switching off half houre before i go to bed.

OK, I just played -- and lost -- and got a 238.

lisab said:
OK, I just played -- and lost -- and got a 238.

That was a warm up game, we are all allowed one.

wolram said:
That was a warm up game, we are all allowed one.

Oh you're just being kind :rofl:

Go ahead and say it...I really suck at Mahjong!

I play on Pogo, where you get more points for time. My best game is under 6 minutes, making my total score over 700.
I have played with real tiles, a very different game, is a gross understatement.

K.J.Healey said:
You should try real Mahjong, its like gin/rummy. That game is just a match game using its pieces.

But I agree, very very addicting!

I agree. That match game isn't Mahjong!

They just attached the name of a game that few know how to play so they wouldn't realize their brain was slowly being sucked away in an idiot's game. You'd do just as well playing computer solitaire or using heroin or meth. At least the last two have some redeeming qualities.

You have to resist! We can schedule an intervention if you need it, but you have to want to quit!

Try playing minesweeper! It's methadone for mindless timekiller games.

wolram said:
There is no way the tiles come out randomly, and i am sure not every game is winable, heck i have been wiped out after only ten moves or so, and the worst is when two tiles are left both the same one on top of tother.
They are all winable, it's the stacking rules that make this so.
I've tried the Vista version.
Vista, being what it is, seems to have lost my stats for it, since I last played a few months ago.

I had one game that I was thinking was a Vista bug and unsolvable.
Figured it out eventually, but it took a long time.
I kept trying because I could see there was a solution if I could just remove the rest of the tiles without making some obvious moves.

Not a bad time killer if you have to just sit there for hours, with no comm link, waiting for a process to complete.

wolram said:
I have become addicted to it, while my internet is down, so far i have a 25% success rate,
the thing is the last dozen or so tiles, the game says there is one move left, but i can look for ages and not spot it, in the end i go for (hint) when it shows where the match is it is so obvious, is it common to have a (blind spot) like this?

I do the same thing when my internet is done. I have a ~40& success rate.

Moridin said:
I do the same thing when my internet is done. I have a ~40& success rate.

40%, HUMMMM, I am sure Vista only gives me the hard games, either that or it can not do %s.

I played Mah Jong with three others on Saturday; we played a full game (i.e, four winds), lasting from 1pm to 9pm. That was rather a short session.
:smile:

1. What is the success rate of Mahjong Patience?

The success rate of Mahjong Patience is approximately 25%. This means that out of every four games played, only one is successful.

2. Why is the success rate of Mahjong Patience so low?

The success rate of Mahjong Patience is low due to the complex nature of the game and the presence of blind spots, which make it difficult to predict the outcome of each move.

3. What are blind spots in Mahjong Patience?

Blind spots in Mahjong Patience refer to the hidden tiles that are not visible to the player. These tiles can only be revealed by removing other tiles from the board, making it challenging to plan ahead and strategize.

4. Is there a way to increase the success rate of Mahjong Patience?

While there is no guaranteed way to increase the success rate of Mahjong Patience, players can improve their chances by practicing and developing their observation and strategic thinking skills.

5. Are there any tips for playing Mahjong Patience?

Some tips for playing Mahjong Patience include paying attention to the blind spots, planning ahead, and trying to clear the lower levels first before moving on to the upper levels. It is also essential to remain calm and patient while playing and not rush through moves.