What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #1,611
People were asking why you weren't on chat. Sounds like a great time turbo!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,612
MMM my roast is smelling really really good. Soon it is time to put the potatoes, onions and carrots in. YUM. I hope it tastes as nice as it smells.

• #1,613
Brownies, Pizza, Chicken, Oreo cookies w/ milk, Go-Gurt = best foods ever

• #1,614
We had a great time and a great meal, and I'm still stuffed!

Here's my 21 years-younger twin brother and his 7 month old daughter. Like me, he developed a passion for playing electric guitars, making fly-rods, tying fishing flies, camping, etc, etc. Hayley will have a fishing rod in her hands by the time she is 2, I'm sure.
nateandhayley.jpg

There has been a literary inquiry as to "who got Einstein's office", but I'm pretty sure who got Einstein's tongue.
hayleytongue.jpg

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/einstein_tongue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,615
Note on the turkey: When you smoke a fresh turkey in heavy, moist hickory smoke, the meat near the skin becomes a nice rose color, penetrating nearly 1/4" into the meat. When you smoke a brined turkey, the smoke does not penetrate as well. Rule> roast brined turkey, smoke fresh un-brined turkey. The turkey is very good, but does not quite meet our high marks for either roasted brined turkey or smoked fresh turkey. Sometimes, simple = better.

• #1,616
scorpa said:
MMM my roast is smelling really really good. Soon it is time to put the potatoes, onions and carrots in. YUM. I hope it tastes as nice as it smells.
Good luck, scorpa! I love slow-cooked roasts with cabbage, onions, and lots of root vegetables.

• #1,617
Hayley will be catching uncle Turbos dinner .

• #1,618
wolram said:
Hayley will be catching uncle Turbos dinner .
I'll put her on a quota system.

• #1,619
I just put some pickled peppadews into the spaghetti sauce I am making. I hope that was not a mistake.

• #1,620
Math Is Hard said:
I just put some pickled peppadews into the spaghetti sauce I am making. I hope that was not a mistake.
Oooh, that sounds interesting, let me know how it turns out.

I just made a plate of nachos.

• #1,621
This morning it was cool and overcast, so I decided on pot roast for dinner tonight - perfect for a gray day. The forecast said it would clear and be warm but they're wrong as often as they're right, especially with overcast. I found a beautiful chuck roast at my local meat shop.

Well, they were right - it's gorgeous outside, clear sky and warm. But I'm sticking with my pot roast!

• #1,622
turbo-1 said:
We had a great time and a great meal, and I'm still stuffed!

Here's my 21 years-younger twin brother and his 7 month old daughter. Like me, he developed a passion for playing electric guitars, making fly-rods, tying fishing flies, camping, etc, etc. Hayley will have a fishing rod in her hands by the time she is 2, I'm sure.

Your niece is so beautiful, turbo!

• #1,623
Evo said:
Oooh, that sounds interesting, let me know how it turns out.

I just made a plate of nachos.

It was better than I expected. I only added about 5 chopped peppadews and it gave it a nice little tanginess and heat.

I love nachos, but I only know how to make the fake ones - melting American cheese slices with salsa and pouring over tortilla chips. :redface:

• #1,624
lisab said:
Your niece is so beautiful, turbo!
Thanks, lisab! She is a cutie, and is as even-tempered as can be.

• #1,625
I am loving my ramen noodles soup with green peppers, red chinese hot chilli sauce and some green sauce! :)

• #1,626
Math Is Hard said:
I thought you were kidding, with the peppadew. I never heard of it. :confused:
(then i poked around PF and see we have a following on this one).. So it does have some zest to it?

I love nachos, but I only know how to make the fake ones - melting American cheese slices with salsa and pouring over tortilla chips.
Mmmm I also love nachos.. Maybe you can try Paula Dean's http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/macho-nachos-recipe/index.html on your next batch. :tongue2: If you don't want to go through that much bother, you might try pepper jack instead of American cheese on your nachos..:smile:

• #1,627
Ouabache said:
I thought you were kidding, with the peppadew. I never heard of it. :confused:
(then i poked around PF and see we have a following on this one).. So it does have some zest to it?
The ones I ate were sweet and very mild. They were pickled, not fresh.

• #1,628
turbo-1 said:
I have had buffalo meat, and it is great. We used to live fairly close to a fellow who raised them, but he eventually went to buffalo-cattle crosses (beefalo) to breed animals that were a bit easier to handle. Even better are white-tail deer and MOOSE - venison is the king of meat, and I love deer meat, but there is nothing like moose - very tender and flavorful.
I heard on the radio a fellow demonstrating the call of a female moose in heat.
He has seen a dozen bull moose come running as they think they're heading for a hot date. Only to learn, he's to become the main course for dinner.. Here's what his call sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDb1oSzFahA

• #1,629
Evo said:
The ones I ate were sweet and very mild. They were pickled, not fresh.
Maybe they will have some fresh ones soon. I think those and your tomatillos would make a tastey addition to a pico de gallo.

• #1,630
I think they aren't selling the fresh ones for fear that people will start growing them and they won't have the market cornered.

If the weather holds out, I should be able to start picking my tomatillos in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.

• #1,631
Evo said:
If the weather holds out, I should be able to start picking my tomatillos in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.
Mmm! Tomatillos with some fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, and jalapeno chilies. Snaz it up with a little lime juice, salt and cilantro and you'll have fresh salsa to die for. I like to let it "rest" in the refrigerator for at least a few hours before serving, so the flavors have a chance to blend. It's just not the same if it's eaten directly after being made. I can eat a pint of that stuff with corn chips, and then drink the juice after I've dipped all the solids out of the bowl.

• #1,632
The cabin smells pretty good! The residual smell from the habanero relish I made today is combining with the smell of the brine that I'm simmering (allspice, pepper, candied ginger, etc). I'm going to brine a 10# roasting chicken tonight to cook tomorrow. My wife left directly after work to go to her mother's place (she has dementia and can't be left alone), so I'm on my own for meals. I'll probably survive.

• #1,633
Chicken, Mushroom and Tarragon Pie

Easy.

Fry your chicken until nicely browned. Chuck in a very generous glass of white wine, a glass of water, zest of a lemon, and a big handful of chopped fresh tarragon. Season well and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the sauce reduced nicely.

In a separate pan, fry some sliced mushrooms (anything apart from button mushrooms) in a very hot pan in some good olive oil. Drain.

Mix your mushrooms and chicken with all of the reduced sauce and a couple of spoons of sour cream.

Build your pie! I find puff pastry is best, but failing that shortcrust works fine. I use 50/50 butter and margarine, about the same amount of plain flour, and as little rubbing in with cold hands as I can get away with (lumps are good). Then some very cold water, and an hour in the fridge before rolling out.

• #1,634
brewnog said:

Easy.

Fry your chicken until nicely browned. Chuck in a very generous glass of white wine, a glass of water, zest of a lemon, and a big handful of chopped fresh tarragon. Season well and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the sauce reduced nicely.

In a separate pan, fry some sliced mushrooms (anything apart from button mushrooms) in a very hot pan in some good olive oil. Drain.

Mix your mushrooms and chicken with all of the reduced sauce and a couple of spoons of sour cream.

Build your pie! I find puff pastry is best, but failing that shortcrust works fine. I use 50/50 butter and margarine, about the same amount of plain flour, and as little rubbing in with cold hands as I can get away with (lumps are good). Then some very cold water, and an hour in the fridge before rolling out.

Sounds YUMMY! I'll have to try that when the weather starts getting cold...sounds like a good chilly, rainy day meal (I guess that's what the Brits are best at :biggrin:).

• #1,635
brewnog said:

Easy.

Sounds wonderful. This would also make a great filling for individual puff pastry shells.

• #1,636
I made a wonderful omelette this morning, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos and Mexican Queso Quesadilla and Asedero cheese. The peppers, tomatoes and tomatillos were picked fresh from my garden this morning.

camerapictures455ug3.jpg

• #1,637
Evo said:
I made a wonderful omelette this morning, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos and Mexican Queso Quesadilla and Asedero cheese. The peppers, tomatoes and tomatillos were picked fresh from my garden this morning.

camerapictures455ug3.jpg
No jalapeno chilies? That's sad... All the rest sounds good.

• #1,638
No wonder you were pushing omelettes on me in chat. :biggrin: I was going to make an omelette for dinner, until I remembered I had leftover rice from last night, so whipped up a batch of fried rice instead. It was faster than cooking potatoes for an omelette first and I was too hungry to wait for dinner.

• #1,639
Moonbear said:
No wonder you were pushing omelettes on me in chat. :biggrin: I was going to make an omelette for dinner, until I remembered I had leftover rice from last night, so whipped up a batch of fried rice instead. It was faster than cooking potatoes for an omelette first and I was too hungry to wait for dinner.
Yep, my omelette this morning was the best I've ever made, I'd say the best I've ever eaten, so I was in pro-omelette mode.

I love fried rice, but I can't seem to make a decent one. The rice is always too moist. Some day I will use that expensive rice cooker I bought with delusions about how many things I could do with it.

• #1,640
Evo said:

I want to eat one :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am going to buy some and going to cook each morning for breakfast :biggrin:
I had been thinking hard what to eat for my breakfast. Currently, it's oh henry bar and chocolate milk.

• #1,641
Evo said:
Y
I love fried rice, but I can't seem to make a decent one. The rice is always too moist. Some day I will use that expensive rice cooker I bought with delusions about how many things I could do with it.

Mine came out perfect today. You have to use day-old rice so it's drier. I sauteed an onion, less than a handful of frozen peas and corn (defrosted first), and fried up two eggs in a little vegetable oil and butter. When they were cooked, mixed them all together, added the rice, a splash of soy sauce (real stuff from a Chinese grocery, not Kikoman from the grocery store), a little salt and pepper, finished stirring together while heating the rice, and done. Yum.

Usually I don't have day old rice, and it doesn't turn out very well if the rice is fresh and moist.

• #1,642
is X Kabob Afghanistan's food?

X = {Chicken .. etc}

I have a place near me that sells pizzas and kabobs for about 6-8$ etc. There are lots of places here Asian, Indian, Middle East, and Harvey, subway .. etc.

• #1,643
Evo said:
I use a Black and Decker electric steamer and it makes perfect Basmati rice every time. I have a 20-year-old version of this one. It was cheap and it works great.

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/product-349.html

Like Moonie said, if you let the rice sit in the fridge for a day, it soaks up any residual water, and the surface of the rice is drier - better for frying. I always make more rice that we need for a single meal - thinking ahead to stir-fries, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,644
My problem may also be that I use non-stick parboiled rice.

• #1,645
Evo said:
My problem may also be that I use non-stick parboiled rice.
That does sound like a contributing factor. When I spoon the day-old rice into the wok, it comes out of the storage container as solid chunks that need to be broken up as it's cooked.

If you can find some minimally-processed Basmati rice, and steam it, you'll be in good shape. I LOVE the nutty aroma of Basmati in the steamer.

Last edited: