Fundemental disadvantages of traditional rockets

• Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rockets
In summary: Rockets are a flawed design for achieving orbit, and we need alternatives like the Skylon.In summary, traditional rocket designs, such as the Ares (1 and 5), Saturn 5, and Delta series, have fundamental disadvantages such as incompatibilities with existing airport infrastructure and a lack of reusability. These disadvantages become more apparent when compared to advanced spaceplanes like the Skylon. However, despite these challenges, there is a growing interest in making space travel more common for various reasons such as cutting travel times and economic opportunities. It is believed that with continued development and innovation, alternative methods of achieving orbit, like the Skylon, will become more feasible and beneficial.
aquitaine
What are the fundamental disadvantages to traditional rocket designs, such as the Ares (1 and 5), Saturn 5, Delta series, etc?

So far I've come up with incompatibilities with existing airport infrastructure and a partial or total lack of reusibility (what parts are reusable need to be fished out of the ocean).

Especially in comparison to something like the skylon or some other advanced spaceplane, can anyone think of other disadvantages, or just disadvantages in general? I'm not very knowledgeable in this subject. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rockets require a tremendous amount of fuel.

Rockets like to explode. Exploding very expensive payload is bad.

So they are fundementally unsafe?

I wouldn't say that. Is anything 'safe'? A car isn't. It's a matter of reliability, i.e., how does it's statistics of successful to unsuccessful launches compare (I think it's pretty low).

aquitaine said:
What are the fundamental disadvantages to traditional rocket designs, such as the Ares (1 and 5), Saturn 5, Delta series, etc?

So far I've come up with incompatibilities with existing airport infrastructure and a partial or total lack of reusibility (what parts are reusable need to be fished out of the ocean).
Disadvantages compared to what and for what purpose? Why is incompatibility with airports relevant? Rockets aren't airplanes.
Especially in comparison to something like the skylon or some other advanced spaceplane, can anyone think of other disadvantages, or just disadvantages in general?
Well spaceplanes in the traditional sense don't exist, so I'm not sure that is a reasonable basis for comparison either.

Disadvantages compared to what and for what purpose? Why is incompatibility with airports relevant? Rockets aren't airplanes.

True, but for space travel to become more common, having launch systems that are mostly compatible with existing infrastructure would be very helpful.

Well spaceplanes in the traditional sense don't exist, so I'm not sure that is a reasonable basis for comparison either.

With the current development of the SABRE engine that might finally change in the next 10 years. Right now it's more of a thought experiment (yet another one of my infamous thought experiments :P).

Why should space travel be more common, where do you plan on going?

Cyrus said:
Why should space travel be more common, where do you plan on going?

Any number of reasons. One immediate thing I can think of is the ability to go into orbit to drasticly cut travel times on long distance flights. Unless you're ok with 14+ hour flights across the Pacific. And really, who is to say there aren't plenty of opportunities for economic expansion? Why can't we use the natural vacuum of space (or the moon for that matter) to fabricate materials that would be so easily done on Earth? What about R&D? Somehow, sometime, somewhere, an entrepreneur will see an opportunity and make a fortune out of it. It's happened in other endevours and it will happen again in space.

aquitaine said:
Any number of reasons. One immediate thing I can think of is the ability to go into orbit to drasticly cut travel times on long distance flights. Unless you're ok with 14+ hour flights across the Pacific. And really, who is to say there aren't plenty of opportunities for economic expansion? Why can't we use the natural vacuum of space (or the moon for that matter) to fabricate materials that would be so easily done on Earth? What about R&D? Somehow, sometime, somewhere, an entrepreneur will see an opportunity and make a fortune out of it. It's happened in other endevours and it will happen again in space.

Eventually. But I agree.

What are the fundamental disadvantages of traditional rockets?

Traditional rockets have several major drawbacks that limit their efficiency and effectiveness. These include:

• High cost: Traditional rockets require large amounts of resources and energy to launch into space, making them extremely expensive.
  • Pollution: The use of traditional rocket propellants, such as liquid hydrogen and kerosene, release harmful emissions into the atmosphere.
  • Limited payload capacity: The size and weight of traditional rockets are limited due to the amount of fuel they can carry, which restricts the size and weight of payloads they can deliver.
  • Slow travel time: Traditional rockets have limited speeds and can take months or years to reach distant destinations in space.
  • Single-use nature: Once a traditional rocket is launched, it can only be used once and then becomes obsolete, resulting in high costs for each launch.

How do these disadvantages impact space exploration and travel?

The disadvantages of traditional rockets have significant implications for space exploration and travel. The high cost and limited payload capacity make it difficult for scientists and researchers to conduct experiments and send equipment into space. The pollution caused by traditional rockets also has negative effects on the environment. Additionally, the slow travel time and single-use nature of traditional rockets hinder the ability to efficiently explore and utilize resources in space.

Are there any alternative solutions to traditional rockets?

Yes, there are alternative solutions being developed to address the fundamental disadvantages of traditional rockets. Some of these include reusable rockets, such as SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy, which can significantly reduce launch costs. Other solutions include electric propulsion systems and solar sails, which use renewable energy sources and have the potential for faster travel times.

What are the advantages of these alternative solutions?

The alternative solutions to traditional rockets offer several advantages. Reusable rockets can significantly reduce launch costs and increase the frequency of space missions. Electric propulsion systems and solar sails are more efficient and have the potential for faster travel times, making them more suitable for long-distance space travel. These solutions also have the potential to be more environmentally friendly, reducing pollution and resource depletion.

What are the challenges in implementing these alternative solutions?

While these alternative solutions have many advantages, there are also challenges in their implementation. Reusable rockets require advanced technology and infrastructure, and their development and testing can be costly and time-consuming. Electric propulsion systems and solar sails also require significant advancements in technology and may face challenges in scaling up for larger payloads. Additionally, these alternative solutions may also face regulatory and safety hurdles before they can be widely adopted.