Deriving mass of Earth from definition of gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of gravity to derive the mass of the Earth. The asker is unsure if it is a simple plug and chug problem or if calculus is needed. They mention looking at the equation a=GM(earth)/r^2 and feeling like they are missing something. The responder reassures them that it is a plug and chug problem and encourages them to continue.
jrw

Homework Statement

Using the definition of gravity, derive the mass of the Earth

Homework Equations

I am unsure if this is simply a plug n chug problem and I am over thinking it or there is some way to use calculus to derive the mass from the gravity equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking at the equation a=GM(earth)/r^2
I know I can simply find these values in my textbook, but I don't see why it would be that simple of a problem. So I just feel like there must be something I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're missing anything. Plug-n-chug away!

phyzguy said:
I don't think you're missing anything. Plug-n-chug away!

awesome thank you :D

1. What is the definition of gravity?

The definition of gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other.

2. How can the mass of Earth be derived from the definition of gravity?

The mass of Earth can be derived from the definition of gravity by using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the role of the acceleration due to gravity in deriving the mass of Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity is a key factor in deriving the mass of Earth from the definition of gravity. This is because the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface is directly related to the mass of Earth and the distance from Earth's center.

4. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when deriving the mass of Earth from the definition of gravity?

Yes, in addition to the acceleration due to gravity, other factors such as the gravitational constant and the radius of Earth also play a role in the calculation of Earth's mass using the definition of gravity.

5. How accurate is the derived mass of Earth from the definition of gravity?

The derived mass of Earth from the definition of gravity is very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few percent. This is due to the precise measurements of Earth's gravitational acceleration and the other factors involved in the calculation.