Inverse image of phi (totient)

In summary, Euler's phi function maps numbers in N to numbers in the range [1, n] where n is the input number. There is no general way to find the inverse image of numbers in the range of phi, but there is a conjecture related to it. Additionally, the maximal possible integer with a totient of n can be calculated using the mathematics of "Inverse Totient Trees", with the formula 2*3^(L-1) where L is the number of links in the totient chain for the given n.
math_grl
So upon introduction to Euler's phi function, we can see that [tex]\phi (1) = 1[/tex] and [tex]\phi (2) = 1[/tex], where it turns out that these are in fact the only numbers in N that map to 1. Now what I'm wondering is if there is some general way to find the inverse image of numbers in the image of phi?

Also, how would one go about showing that once we find [tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex] that these are in fact the only numbers it could be?

Physics news on Phys.org
math_grl said:
So upon introduction to Euler's phi function, we can see that [tex]\phi (1) = 1[/tex] and [tex]\phi (2) = 1[/tex], where it turns out that these are in fact the only numbers in N that map to 1. Now what I'm wondering is if there is some general way to find the inverse image of numbers in the image of phi?

Also, how would one go about showing that once we find [tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex] that these are in fact the only numbers it could be?

what you mean by "inverse"? do you mean multiplicative inverse ab=1 such that b = a^-1?

I think you want to know if a given number is a phi of one or more numbers, and I think there is no general way to do it yet, only by hand

for instance, given 14, is it a phi of at least one number? no, and I think there is no known way to characterize such numbers yet

al-mahed said:
what you mean by "inverse"? do you mean multiplicative inverse ab=1 such that b = a^-1?

I don't think there should be any confusion in my terminology but in case a refresher is needed check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_(mathematics)#Inverse_image"

It might also help make it clear that [tex]f: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \phi(\mathbb{N})[/tex] where [tex]f(n) = \phi(n)[/tex] cannot have an inverse as it's onto but not injective.

Other than that, yes, what I was asking if there was a way to find all those numbers that map to 14 (for example) under phi...

Last edited by a moderator:
math_grl said:
I don't think there should be any confusion in my terminology but in case a refresher is needed check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_(mathematics)#Inverse_image"

It might also help make it clear that [tex]f: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \phi(\mathbb{N})[/tex] where [tex]f(n) = \phi(n)[/tex] cannot have an inverse as it's onto but not injective.

Other than that, yes, what I was asking if there was a way to find all those numbers that map to 14 (for example) under phi...

hi math-grl

so what you want is to find the n's such that

[tex]\varphi(n_1)=m_1[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(n_2)=m_2[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(n_3)=m_3[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(n_4)=m_4[/tex]

knowing only the m's, correct?

there is a conjecture related to it, although what you want is far more difficult than the conjecture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmichael's_totient_function_conjecture

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi math_grl,

I think that your question does have an answer. The following inequalities can be proved directly from the definition of the totient function, or by using the product formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{x}\ \leq \ \phi(x) \ \leq \ x [/tex]

for any positive integer x. It then follows that the equation [itex]\phi(x) = n[/itex] has only finitely many solutions for a given positive integer n. In fact, given n, the inequalities imply that all solutions to the equation satisfy

[tex]n \ \leq x \ \leq \ 4n^2[/tex]

Hope that answers your question.

Hi math_grl,

Beyond Petek's reply, one can also calculate the maximal possible integer with a totient of n via recourse to the mathematics associated with "Inverse Totient Trees."

For instance, take the integers with a totient of 24. Then...

phi (N) = 24
phi (24) = 8
phi (8) = 4
phi (4) = 2
phi (2) = 1

There are 5 "links" (designate: L_x) in the totient chain so to speak, with 4 intervals. In general, the greatest integer that can have a totient of n is 2*3^(L-1), which means that 2*3^(5 - 1) = 162 is the upper bound of an integer with a totient of 24. In fact, via a not very exhausting proof by exhaustion, one can easily check a table and see that the greatest integer where phi(n) = 24 is 90.

phi (n) = 24 --> 35, 39, 45, 52, 56, 70, 72, 78, 84, 90

And a couple related number sequences.

A032447 Inverse function of phi( ).
http://oeis.org/A032447
A058811 Number of terms on the n-th level of the Inverse-Totient-Tree (ITT).
http://oeis.org/A058811

As for why the 2*3^(L-1) formula works, I am as curious as anyone and would be more than happy if anyone could provide some insight on that.

- RF

Last edited:

1. What is the inverse image of phi (totient)?

The inverse image of phi (totient), denoted as phi^-1, is a mathematical function that maps the set of positive integers to the set of positive integers. It is defined as the number of integers less than or equal to a given integer n that are relatively prime to n. In other words, it gives the number of positive integers that are co-prime to n.

2. How is the inverse image of phi (totient) calculated?

The inverse image of phi (totient) can be calculated using the formula phi^-1(n) = n * (1 - 1/p1) * (1 - 1/p2) * ... * (1 - 1/pk), where p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

3. What is the significance of the inverse image of phi (totient)?

The inverse image of phi (totient) has several applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used to calculate the Euler's totient function, which is an important tool in determining the number of relatively prime integers to a given integer. It is also used in various encryption algorithms to generate keys with high security.

4. Can the inverse image of phi (totient) be used to find the prime factorization of a number?

No, the inverse image of phi (totient) alone cannot be used to find the prime factorization of a number. However, it can be used in conjunction with other mathematical tools to determine the prime factors of a given integer.

5. Is there a relationship between the inverse image of phi (totient) and the order of an element in a group?

Yes, there is a relationship between the two. The inverse image of phi (totient) of a number n is equal to the order of any element in the multiplicative group of integers modulo n. This relationship is known as Euler's theorem and has important applications in number theory and cryptography.