Prove an element and its inverse have same order

In summary, in any group, an element and its inverse have the same order. To prove this, let m = ord(g) and n = ord(g^-1). By the definition of order, (g)^m=e and (g^-1)^n=e. Multiplying on the left by g^n, we have (g^n)(g^m) = e. Since g^m=e, we can conclude that g^n = e. This means that m divides n. Similarly, by multiplying on the left by (g^-1)^m, we can show that n divides m. Therefore, m=n and |g|=|g^-1|.
sheepishlion

Homework Statement

Prove that in any group, an element and its inverse have the same order.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to show |g|=|g^-1|. This is how I approached it but I'm not sure I'm right, it seems like I'm missing something.
Let |g|=m and |g^-1|=n for g, g^-1 elements of G. Then (g)^m=e and (g^-1)^n=e. Therefore, either (g)^m <= (g^-1)^n or (g)^m >= (g^-1)^n. If (g)^m <= (g^-1)^n then e<=e and m<=n. If (g)^m >= (g^-1)^n then e>=e and m >= n. Therefore m = n and |g|=|g^-1|.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's right in spirit. But lacks in presentation. Sure, if x^k=e then (x^(-1))^k=e^(-1)=e. Now just use the definition of '|x|'. Don't use '<' for the elements of the group. Groups generally aren't ordered.

Last edited:
sheepishlion said:

Homework Statement

Prove that in any group, an element and its inverse have the same order.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to show |g|=|g^-1|. This is how I approached it but I'm not sure I'm right, it seems like I'm missing something.
Let |g|=m and |g^-1|=n for g, g^-1 elements of G. Then (g)^m=e and (g^-1)^n=e. Therefore, either (g)^m <= (g^-1)^n or (g)^m >= (g^-1)^n. If (g)^m <= (g^-1)^n then e<=e and m<=n. If (g)^m >= (g^-1)^n then e>=e and m >= n. Therefore m = n and |g|=|g^-1|.

I might be misreading your attempted solution, but I don't understand what you mean by f^m <= (g^-1)^n.

Here is a start: Let m = ord(g) and n = ord(g^-1). Then g^m = (g^-1)^n. Now, multiply on the left by g^n to get: (g^n)(g^m) = e. Since g^m=e, we must have that g^n = e, from which we see that m|n (that means m divides n.) Now, all you need to do is to show that n|m (n divides m) to show that m=n. To do that, you have to do something really similar to what I did.

1. What does it mean for two elements to have the same order?

Two elements having the same order means that they require the same number of operations to repeat themselves when combined with an operation. In other words, the order of an element is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the nth power equals the identity element.

2. How do you prove that an element and its inverse have the same order?

To prove that an element and its inverse have the same order, we need to show that the number of operations required to repeat the element is the same as the number of operations required to repeat its inverse. This can be done by raising both elements to the same power and showing that they both result in the identity element.

3. Can an element and its inverse have different orders?

No, an element and its inverse cannot have different orders. This is because the inverse of an element is defined as the element that, when combined with the original element, results in the identity element. Therefore, if an element has an order of n, its inverse must also have an order of n.

4. What is the significance of proving that an element and its inverse have the same order?

Proving that an element and its inverse have the same order is important in abstract algebra and group theory. It helps us understand the properties and relationships of elements within a group. It also allows us to make conclusions about the structure and behavior of groups.

5. Is it possible for a group to have elements with different orders?

Yes, it is possible for a group to have elements with different orders. In fact, this is often the case in non-abelian groups, where the order of elements can vary greatly. However, in abelian groups, all elements must have the same order due to the commutative property of the group operation.