Regarding the definition of orders (as in subrings)

• Thread starter Somewheresafe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, this textbook I found defines orders as subrings of a given algebra, and goes over some of the notations and phrasings used. If anyone is familiar with this, and can help me understand some of the things I'm not sure of, that would be much appreciated. :)
Somewheresafe
Hi everyone! I'm new. :) Anyway there's this textbook I found regarding the definition of orders (a type of subrings). I'm kinda having trouble with the notations and the phrasings used. If anyone knows about this your help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Anyway the definition goes like this:

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra. A subring [itex]R[/itex] of [itex]A[/itex] containing its unity is called a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-order (or simply an order) in A if R is finitely generated as a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-module and [itex]\mathbb{Q}R=A[/itex].

Some things I'm not quite sure of:

1. Does [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra refer to any group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]? Ie, the group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] over any group?

2. [itex]R[/itex] is finitely generated as a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-module = [itex]R[/itex] itself is a module over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] with a finite generating set? (Kinda confused here. @_@)

3. I'm quite unsure about the notation [itex]\mathbb{Q}R[/itex]. Is this equal to
[itex]\left\{q r | q \in \mathbb{Q}, r \in R\right\}[/itex]? Or a linear combination of elements from this set? The previous pages don't actually indicate anything about it. :( (Or maybe I've missed it.)

4. Also, now that I'm at it, if I'm correct in no. 2, it means that any element in [itex]R[/itex] can be expressed as a linear combination of elements in the generating set over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]... but does the other way also hold? I mean, is it that any linear combination in the generating set over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is also an element in [itex]R[/itex]?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewheresafe said:
Hi everyone! I'm new. :) Anyway there's this textbook I found regarding the definition of orders (a type of subrings). I'm kinda having trouble with the notations and the phrasings used. If anyone knows about this your help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Anyway the definition goes like this:

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra. A subring [itex]R[/itex] of [itex]A[/itex] containing its unity is called a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-order (or simply an order) in A if R is finitely generated as a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-module and [itex]\mathbb{Q}R=A[/itex].

Some things I'm not quite sure of:

1. Does [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra refer to any group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]? Ie, the group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] over any group?

I don't see any mention of group algebra's. So I think they just mean [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra as a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-module that is also a ring.

2. [itex]R[/itex] is finitely generated as a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-module = [itex]R[/itex] itself is a module over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] with a finite generating set? (Kinda confused here. @_@)

Every abelian group defines a [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]-module by

[tex]nx=x+x+x+x+...+x~~~~(n~times)[/tex]

what they mean is indeed that this group is finitely generated (which is equivalent to finitely generated as module). Thus there exists an epimorphism [itex]\mathbb{Z}[X_1,...,X_n]\rightarrow R[/itex].

3. I'm quite unsure about the notation [itex]\mathbb{Q}R[/itex]. Is this equal to
[itex]\left\{q r | q \in \mathbb{Q}, r \in R\right\}[/itex]? Or a linear combination of elements from this set? The previous pages don't actually indicate anything about it. :( (Or maybe I've missed it.)

I guess it means a linear combination of such elements.

4. Also, now that I'm at it, if I'm correct in no. 2, it means that any element in [itex]R[/itex] can be expressed as a linear combination of elements in the generating set over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]... but does the other way also hold? I mean, is it that any linear combination in the generating set over [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is also an element in [itex]R[/itex]?

Yes, both implications hold.

Thanks for the reply! It's a little clearer to me now! :) But just one little thing...
micromass said:
I don't see any mention of group algebra's. So I think they just mean [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra as a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-module that is also a ring.[\quote]
Wouldn't that be the same thing as a group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[\itex] over any group?

Somewheresafe said:
Thanks for the reply! It's a little clearer to me now! :) But just one little thing...
I don't see any mention of group algebra's. So I think they just mean [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra as a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-module that is also a ring.
Wouldn't that be the same thing as a group algebra of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[\itex] over any group?

No, certainly not every [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-algebra is a group algebra. For example, each [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] group algebra would have no zero divisors. However, [itex]M_n(\mathbb{Q})[/itex] (the matrices) do have zero divisors if n>1.

micromass said:
For example, each [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] group algebra would have no zero divisors.
What about (1 - [e])(1 + [e]) = 0 for any element e of order 2?

Hmm, I should have known better than to post that...

Hmm so they're the same?

Anyway thank you again for the replies! :)

1. What is the definition of an order in subrings?

An order in subrings refers to the relationship between elements within a subring, where one element is greater than or equal to another element. This relationship is typically denoted by the symbol ≤ (less than or equal to).

2. How is the order of subrings determined?

The order of subrings is determined by the properties of the elements within the subring. In particular, the order is based on the properties of the subring's underlying set, such as the closure under addition and multiplication, and the existence of an identity element.

3. Can the order of subrings change?

Yes, the order of subrings can change depending on the properties of the elements within the subring. For example, if a new element is added to the subring that does not adhere to the properties of the subring, the order may change.

4. How does the order of subrings relate to the order of rings?

The order of subrings is a subset of the order of rings. This means that the order of subrings is determined by the properties of the subring, but it cannot exceed the order of the larger ring it belongs to.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions to the definition of orders in subrings?

Yes, there are some special cases where the order in subrings may not follow the traditional definition. For example, in a subring with only one element, the order may be undefined or equal to itself. Additionally, in certain types of rings such as integral domains, the order may follow different rules.