BA physics and BS math, or vice versa?

• Thread starter Lafa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the options for a student's double major in Physics and Mathematics, specifically whether to pursue a BS Physics+BA Math or BS Math+BA Physics. The student also mentions their plans for graduate school and potential areas of study, as well as their preference for working in industry over academia. The conversation concludes with a discussion of the required courses for each degree and their importance for applying to graduate school. Ultimately, the advice is to focus on taking specific physics courses and gaining research experience for a successful graduate school application.
Lafa
Hello,

I'm in my sophomore year of college right now, and I want to double major in Physics and Mathematics. The only thing I'm questioning now is whether I should do BS Physics+BA Math, or BS Math+BA Physics. The second option should be a little easier for me, as I'm ahead in math and slightly behind in physics, but both are still possible at this point. It's difficult to decide because I want to do my honors thesis in physics (so that would be BS Physics), but I also want to take as many courses in both majors as possible. Ideally, I'd like to do BS in both, but I just don't have time.

I'm planning on going to graduate school, but I'm not 100% sure what to study yet. I'm considering a PhD in biophysics, biomedical physics, applied math, high energy physics, or possibly others. And I think I would prefer to work in industry over academia. I realize this is a little all over the place..

If you have any advice of which route would be more advantageous as far as getting into grad school and being successful there, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Morgan

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference between a BA and a BS in physics at your university, in terms of the courses that you have to take? And similarly for math?

In the USA at least, the distinction between BA and BS is meaningless in the absence of further information, because different universities have different requirements.

Last edited:
For both physics BA and BS I need the intro physics courses, some other non-physics science courses, quantum physics, oscillatory and wave phenomena, and contemporary physics (all 100-200 level). The differences are...

BS Physics: Advanced Mechanics, Thermal Physics, Advanced Physics Lab, Quantum Theory, Electromagnetic Fields (all 300 level) and 2 other electives over 300 level

BA Physics: four electives (300 or higher)

For Math, both degrees have in common the calculus sequence, theoretical math, linear algebra, abstract algebra I, and real analysis. The differences are..

BS Math: 5 electives (300 or higher), introductory physics courses, a computer science course, and a 400 level math thesis.

BA Math: 3 elective (300 or higher)

In both cases with the BA major, I plan to take as many courses as I can over the required

Someone else can address the math side. For physics, the specific courses named are the ones that are important for grad school. Whichever combination of degrees you go for, if you take at least those physics courses, and get some research experience, you'll be OK for applying to grad schools. More physics courses would be a plus, of course, but those four lecture courses are the core that most all grad schools look for first.

thanks, that's really great advice! I'll be sure to take those no matter which degree I choose in that case

1. What is the difference between a BA in physics and a BS in math?

A BA in physics is a Bachelor of Arts degree that focuses on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of physics, while a BS in math is a Bachelor of Science degree that focuses on the mathematical and quantitative aspects of physics. A BA in physics may have a more broad and interdisciplinary approach, while a BS in math may have a more specialized and technical focus.

2. Can I switch from a BA in physics to a BS in math, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between a BA in physics and a BS in math, depending on your university's policies and requirements. However, it may require additional coursework and may prolong your time as an undergraduate student.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a BA in physics and a BS in math?

Graduates with a BA in physics can pursue careers in research, teaching, or industry, while graduates with a BS in math can pursue careers in data analysis, finance, or computer science. Graduates with both degrees can have a wide range of career options in fields such as engineering, statistics, or scientific computing.

4. Is it better to have a BA in physics and a BS in math, or to specialize in one degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Having a combination of both degrees can make you a well-rounded and versatile candidate for various job opportunities. However, specializing in one degree may also lead to more in-depth knowledge and expertise in a specific field.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a BA in physics and a BS in math program?

To succeed in a BA in physics and a BS in math program, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a curiosity for understanding the natural world. Time management, collaboration, and communication skills are also essential for success in these programs.