Solving 2nd Order ODE with x(0)=0, x'(0)=0

In summary, the person is having trouble solving an ODE and is using a guess for the particular solution. They try varying the particular solution and find that it is the same as the homogeneous solution, so they need to multiply the guess by t to get an independent solution. They eventually find the right answer and thank the person for answering.
S_Flaherty
I'm not sure exactly how to solve this ODE. (dx^2)/(dt^2) + (w^2)x = Fsinwt, where x(0) = 0 and X'(0) = 0.
What I've got so far is:
x'' + w^2x = Fsinwt --> x(homogenous) = Acoswt + Bsinwt

I know I have to find a particular solution but I keep getting zero as a result which I know won't solve the ODE.

Also, I know that the answer is (F/2w^2)sinwt - (F/2w)tcoswt

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you solved for the particular solution.

For the particular solution I set x = Ccoswt + Dsinwt where C and D are arbitrary constants, so x' = -wCsinwt + wDcoswt, x'' = -w^2Ccoswt - w^2Dsinwt. so for the original equation
x'' + w^2x = Fsinwt, I have (-w^2Ccoswt - w^2Dsinwt) + w^2(Ccoswt + Dsinwt) = Fsinwt
but that reduces to 0 = Fsinwt which doesn't tell me anything about the particular solution because I have no values for C and D. I tried making x = tCcoswt + tDsinwt among others and even when I find some value for the particular solution, once I combine it with the homogeneous and try to solve for A and B I run into the same problem.

Oh, okay. Your problem is in your guess for the particular solution. You should note that it's the same as the homogeneous solution, so of course when you plug it into the differential equation, you get 0.

The problem is that the forcing function looks like the homogeneous solution. That is, both contain the term ##\sin \omega t##. When this happens, you need to multiply your guess for the particular solution by t to get solutions to the differential equation independent of the homogeneous solution. So try ##x_p(t) = Ct\cos \omega t + Dt\sin \omega t##.

I did that before and still did not end up with the correct answer, but I just tried it again right now and now I have the right answer, so I guess I just made a mistake before. Thank you for answering.

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE, or second-order ordinary differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is called a "2nd order" because it involves the second derivative of the function.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order ODE with x(0)=0, x'(0)=0?

To solve a 2nd order ODE with initial conditions x(0)=0, x'(0)=0, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve finding the general solution to the equation and then using the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

3. What are initial conditions?

Initial conditions are the starting values for a function and its derivatives. In the context of solving a 2nd order ODE, the initial conditions x(0)=0, x'(0)=0 mean that the function and its first derivative have a value of 0 at the starting point, which is when x=0.

4. Why is it important to specify initial conditions?

Specifying initial conditions is important because it helps to find a unique solution to a differential equation. Without initial conditions, there could be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation, making it impossible to determine the exact solution.

5. Can a 2nd order ODE be solved without initial conditions?

Yes, a 2nd order ODE can be solved without initial conditions, but the solution will not be unique. Without initial conditions, there could be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation, making it impossible to determine the exact solution. Therefore, it is important to specify initial conditions to find a unique solution.