Alternative to Computational Physics

In summary, the person is interested in going into Computational Physics, but they don't know if it would be possible for them to do so in their current location. They are open to other options, but they are mostly interested in going to University of Toronto. They have no long-term career plans, but they do hope to use their computer skills in the future.
nesan
Hello

I'll get straight to the point. I'm really interested in going into Computational Physics.

Where I live (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) not many offer that program nor are any of them close to me who do offer the program. I was wondering if it would be alright for me to do something alternative because I really love these two fields.

Maybe major in Physics and minor in Computer Science or vice versa.

Can anyone give me opinions on how "Maybe major in Physics and minor in Computer Science or vice versa."

Or maybe an alternative. TY :]

Physics news on Phys.org
What about U of T? They have an upper level course called computational physics.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure you don't just do computational physics. You do computational physics in a field such as plasma physics or astrophysics or beam physics etc. So really you need to find a subfield of physics you are interested in, then begin learning the ins and out of computational methods and modelling.

Not an expert on this topic, but I'm sure some basic computer science would be good for you. Although you probably won't need to delve too far into it. Whether you minor in it or just take a few classes in it is up to you.

nesan said:
HelloI'll get straight to the point. I'm really interested in going into Computational Physics.
That naturally raises three questions whose answers are important in this context:
  1. why?
  2. what do you imagine "Computational Physics" to be like? Or in other words: what is the "Computational Physics" you are interested in like?
  3. do you have any long-term career plans/ideas/hopes and what are they?

The "maybe major in Physics and minor in Computer Science or vice versa" seems to essentially be the question whether you want to be a physicist with some CS background or a CS with some formal physics education. I think almost every natural scientist can benefit from solid computer skills (and be it when he quits academia and looks for a proper job). A formal university education in CS in not required for this (personal interest and keeping your eyes open for new developments should suffice and come natural to a scientist), but not having undergone one I can not judge how much it actually helps. For computer scientist with a physics background, I can naturally not say much at all (being a physicist rather than a CS).

1. What is alternative to computational physics?

Alternative to computational physics refers to the use of analytical and experimental methods to study and understand physical phenomena, as opposed to relying solely on computer simulations or numerical calculations.

2. What are the advantages of using alternative methods in physics?

Alternative methods in physics allow for a deeper understanding of physical concepts and their underlying principles. They also provide more accurate and precise results compared to simulations, and can reveal unexpected insights and relationships.

3. Are there any limitations to using alternative methods in physics?

One limitation of alternative methods is that they may not be feasible or practical for complex systems or phenomena. Additionally, they may require more time and resources compared to computational methods.

4. How are alternative methods used in conjunction with computational physics?

Alternative methods can be used to validate and supplement the results obtained through computational simulations. They can also be used to gain a better understanding of the underlying physical principles and assumptions used in the simulations.

5. What areas of physics are best suited for alternative methods?

Alternative methods can be applied to a wide range of areas in physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are particularly useful for studying systems with simple or well-defined dynamics.