Passengers in a falling plane, author request

In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of a nosedive in a G6 jet at 35,000 feet and the potential experiences of passengers. It was mentioned that passengers may float around at the beginning of the dive, but would quickly be pushed into their seats as the jet accelerates towards the ground. The concept of the "vomit comet" was also brought up, which intentionally creates zero gravity conditions, but is not a realistic scenario for a commercial aircraft. It was also noted that clear air turbulence can cause severe injuries, but the aircraft is usually able to withstand the forces and make a safe landing. Overall, it was concluded that a civilian passenger aircraft is not designed for aerobatics and would not be able to produce long
Govicide
I'm an author and I want to correctly portray a scene (with a bit of artistic license) in my next book. However, I don't think I understand the physics of the situation.

Scenario: Passengers flying in a G6 going 450mph at 35,000 feet. Jet goes into a nosedive at let's say a 45 degree angle, wings level. The jet accelerates towards the ground in its fall. What would the passengers experience? Would they tumble toward the cockpit if they were unbuckled? Would they be weightless? Would they hit the ceiling? Would they be forced toward the back of the plane due to the acceleration? Would it be a combination of all of these and more? If so, what would the order be?

And, if the jet pulls out of the dive, what would be the forces on the passengers? Once again, into their seats? Heads against the ceiling? Etc. . . .

Thanks in advance . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
Google the NASA "Vomit comet". Also on youtube.

To a rough approximation, tale a ride on a roller coaster, and transfer what you feel to the aircraft cabin situation.

If you are talking about a civilian passenger aircraft, any g forces big enough to "throw people around the passenger cabin" would be likely to make the wings fall off. Civil aircraft aren't designed to do aerobatics.

If any passengers were out of their seats and walking around, they might well fall over if they didn't grab hold of something to steady themselves, but that's probably about as "violent" as it would get.

The "vomit comet" is a very special case, because it is deliberately flown to maintain zero gravity for a short time. That wouldn't happen "by chance".

Govicide said:
Scenario: Passengers flying in a G6 going 450mph at 35,000 feet. Jet goes into a nosedive at let's say a 45 degree angle, wings level. The jet accelerates towards the ground in its fall.
The begin of the dive might produce 0 or negative g-forces, so people would float around. This depend how quickly the nose goes down. Once diving in a straight line at 45 you are pushed mainly into the seats again, with some forward-backward-variation depending how fast you gain speed.

Alephzero - I dissagree. The Vomit Comet only generates about 1.8g pulling pull out of it's dive. Somthing a commercial jet should easily withstand.

When I was a child I flew in a turboprop aircraft that experienced sufficient -ve g for drinking glasses to hit the ceiling. Clear air turbulence is ocasionally severe enough to cause death and severe injury - one website says that between 1981 and 1997 there were 342 reports of severe turbulence during which 3 passengers died and there were 80 serious injuries (usually taken to mean broken limbs). The aircraft usually survives to make a safe landing even if damaged to the point that they are later written off.

I believe the main problem with doing it deliberately is excess air speed. You can't produce zero g for long without building up excess speed and that might cause structural damage.

I agree with A.T. - If you want to make people weightless a 45 degree dive isn't going to do it because I doubt a jet could continue to accelerate fast enough like that. The vomit comet flies a parabolic path - it can generate weightless conditions even while climbing.

Last edited:

1. What is the likelihood of surviving a plane crash?

The likelihood of surviving a plane crash depends on various factors such as the type of plane, location of the crash, and the severity of impact. According to statistics, the overall survival rate for commercial airplane crashes is approximately 95%. However, this can vary greatly depending on the circumstances.

2. Can a passenger request for the author of a book during a plane crash?

It is highly unlikely that a passenger would have the opportunity to request for the author of a book during a plane crash. In such a critical situation, the crew and passengers are focused on following emergency procedures and evacuating the plane as quickly as possible.

3. How does a plane's structure affect the survival of passengers in a crash?

The structure of a plane can greatly impact the survival of passengers in a crash. Modern airplanes are designed to withstand extreme forces and have safety features such as reinforced cabin walls, emergency exits, and fire-resistant materials. These elements can increase the chances of survival for passengers in a falling plane.

4. What should passengers do to increase their chances of survival in a falling plane?

In case of a plane crash, passengers should follow the instructions of the crew, stay calm, and prepare for an emergency landing. It is important to listen to the safety briefing before takeoff and familiarize yourself with the location of emergency exits. Additionally, wearing a seatbelt at all times during the flight can also increase the chances of survival.

5. How do pilots handle a falling plane?

If a pilot encounters a situation where the plane is falling, they will first try to regain control of the aircraft using various techniques such as adjusting the angle of the plane and reducing speed. If necessary, the pilot will also declare an emergency and communicate with air traffic control for assistance. Pilots are trained to handle emergency situations and have procedures in place to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew.