Help in calculating the square of a number in sexagesimal notation?

by moohah
Tags: notation, number, sexagesimal, square
moohah
Jun24-13, 04:09 PM
P: 2
How would you go about calculating a number's square entirely in sexagesimal notation (i.e. base 60). For example, how would you calculate the square of 37 + 4/60 + 55/60^2? If you can please show me how to calculate a number's square entirely in sexagesimal notation without using decimals it would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for answers...
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
gopher_p
Jun24-13, 05:09 PM
P: 337
Some questions to think about that might lead to an answer to your question ...

How do you go about calculating a number's square in decimal notation?

Why/how does that work?

Why does that not work for a different base? Could you change something to make the process work in a different base?
lurflurf
Jun25-13, 01:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,168
(a +b x+c x^2)^2=a^2+2abx+2acx^2+b^2x^2+2bcx^3+c^2x^4
let
a=37
b=4
c=55
x=1/60
then carry

Integral
Jun25-13, 08:39 AM
Mentor
P: 7,292

Help in calculating the square of a number in sexagesimal notation?

First step would be to define symbols for your 60 integers, then work out multiplication and addition tables in terms of those integers, now multiply.

The trouble with lurflurf's solution is that it is doing the arithmetic in decimal, and the result will be in decimal.
jackmell
Jun25-13, 05:25 PM
P: 1,666
As long as lurflurf does his arithmetic in base-60 arithmetic, I believe his method would correctly compute the base-60 square of that number in base-60 notation.

Personally I think the OP should first do some simple ones. How about octal? Won't that work with the number he gave or even a simpler number? Try squaring some simple numbers in just plain-old octal first, then ramp it up.
lurflurf
Jun25-13, 05:38 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,168
^No that is sexagesimal. We could use a=10 z=35 A=36 X=59 to conform with convention

B.4T=B*1+4*0.1+T*0.01

for one example
a.bc
is perfectly adequate
jackmell
Jun25-13, 06:20 PM
P: 1,666
. . . I don't know what none of you guys are doing in this thread to be honest with you. It's ambiguous, unclear, and confusing to someone at the top in class.
moohah
Jul1-13, 03:24 PM
P: 2
Hey lurflurf has it right... thank you guys for your help

Register to reply