Tags: heisenberg, lattice
adityaphysics
Jan27-14, 06:11 PM
P: 2
I have a question if you have an Hamiltonian given by
[itex]
H = \sum_{i,i+1} \sigma_i \cdot \sigma_{i+1}
[/itex]
where i can even or odd bonds so in a 1D lattice so if you have 4 sites(1 2 3 4 1) then (12) and (34) are even bonds and (23) and (41) are odd bonds. and I was checking if

[itex]
[H_{x even(12)} , H_{x even(34)}]
[/itex]
will they commute also do even and odd bonds commute i.e.
[itex]
[H_{x even} , H_{x odd}]
[/itex]
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
DrDu
Jan28-14, 12:53 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,370
How do you define ##H_{xeven}## and ##H_{xodd}##?
adityaphysics
Jan28-14, 02:30 AM
P: 2
Same as I defined above its a Heisenberg spin systems with
[tex]
H_{xeven}
[/itex] and
[tex]
H_{xodd}
[/itex]

are both Heisenberg spin systems with spins defined for even and odd bonds. Here when I say bond I mean the distance between two atomic points in lattice. and alternative bonds are defined as even and odd. Also my ultimate goal is to calculate
[tex]
[ (\sigma_{1}^x \cdot \sigma_{2}^x + \sigma_{1}^y \cdot \sigma_{2}^y + \sigma_{1}^z \cdot \sigma_{2}^z) , (\sigma_{3}^x \cdot \sigma_{4}^x + \sigma_{3}^y \cdot \sigma_{4}^y + \sigma_{3}^z \cdot \sigma_{4}^z)]
[/itex]
so will it commute.

Register to reply