Participating IPhO-but going college two years late.

In summary, the person is struggling with a decision whether to participate in the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) or go to college on time. They are a junior in high school and have concerns about delaying college and possibly not getting into their dream college, Princeton. They are also considering going to McGill University as an alternative. The person is seeking other people's opinions on the matter.
car202
I really can't decide which one to choose.
I studied college physics and analytical mechanics.-very deeply.
So I'm pretty sure that I can earn some medals in IPhO.
At least it will be very nice experience.
But one thing-I can't participate this year and next year's IPhO-due to some problem.-being Korean citizen live in US(neither PR nor citizen)
The thing is I'm junior in high school. If I go to IPhO, I have to go college two years late. Of course my major is physics.
One more thing-I'm dying to go to Princeton. But I can't go right now.-came to US in 2005..sat scores are sucks as well as ECs.
If I go to college next year, I'll probably go to McGill(I know that this college is great).
I don't know why I am hesitating. But you know..If I give up the chance for participating IPhO now, I can't participate forever. Also, if the result is good, I'll probably get into my dream college.
One thing that I'm really concerning is-the decision that I won't regret.-that's the real issue. I don't know which way to go.
I know this is a stupid question. But I want to hear other people's opinion.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
IPhO stands for International Physics Olympiad, right?

It's a great thing to be in, and hats off for getting to that stage, but it isn't the kind of event that would make me put off college for two years though.

I had a similar problem to yours, I've graduated from high schools for years
though.

I was actually a student of social sciences and humanities, specializing in literature, I studied for 1 year, then passed 2 other exams for economics and natural sciences specializing in..."math" the following year.

Yes, I studied three 'high-schools' at the same time, that should sounds ridiculous and creditably impossible right ? I kept myself running around in all 3 years.
and how funny it is to say that I never graduated from any of them. I never thought of keeping a record from them as a keepsake, I was so blind and greedy when I decided to move to another area to restudy math, philosophy, literature, and above all, what is life, in an *empty* pot.

I realize then that it is not my previous high-schools were bad, I reread all the ciriculla of my previous high schools, thinking about fake rankings, I am really sad.

I do learn something too from my areas I came to, things about bad, good, formal management etc, really thankful to people who gave me help, hope. I am trying to do several things to meet the requirements. I am now a third year student I am my current college, I will quit to go to another college next year, Alaska I guess.
The area has a lot of food I really like, you can come to see them at the city's homepage.

That's my late, 4 more years I still a first year student, you now know but I am sure you don't need to understand because it is not related to your pockets, hehe.

I don't see Princeton in most of people's dream, let's go to Alaska, we'll probably meet one day. :-D

Last edited:

1. Why would someone choose to participate in the IPhO and go to college two years later?

There are a few possible reasons for this decision. Some students may not have been accepted into their desired college or major during their first attempt, so they participate in the IPhO to improve their academic profile and increase their chances of admission. Others may want to take a gap year to gain practical experience and enhance their skills before starting college. Additionally, participating in the IPhO can provide valuable networking opportunities and enhance a student's resume, which may lead to better job prospects after graduation.

2. Will participating in the IPhO negatively affect my college applications?

No, participating in the IPhO can actually have a positive impact on your college applications. It shows that you have a strong interest and dedication to the field of physics, which can make you stand out among other applicants. Additionally, the rigorous training and problem-solving skills developed during the IPhO can be beneficial for future academic and professional pursuits.

3. Can I still have a well-rounded college experience if I participate in the IPhO and go to college two years later?

Yes, it is possible to have a well-rounded college experience while participating in the IPhO and going to college two years later. Many universities offer a variety of extracurricular activities and clubs that students can join to pursue their other interests. Additionally, participating in the IPhO can provide unique experiences and opportunities to travel and meet students from around the world.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage in my college courses if I participate in the IPhO and go to college two years later?

No, participating in the IPhO can actually give you an advantage in your college courses. The rigorous training and problem-solving skills developed during the IPhO can help you excel in your physics and other science courses. Additionally, the experience of working collaboratively with other top physics students can also enhance your learning abilities.

5. Can I still graduate on time if I participate in the IPhO and go to college two years later?

It is possible to graduate on time, but it may require careful planning and taking on a heavier course load. Many universities offer summer courses or allow students to take more credits per semester to catch up on missed coursework. It is important to discuss your plans with your academic advisor to ensure that you can meet all graduation requirements within the desired timeframe.