Prove every even ordered group has an element of order 2

In summary, there are an even number of elements paired up in S. This is related to the fact that each element has an inverse. There are also elements that don't pair up with anything.
calvino
Can someone help me on where to begin? What do I know about even ordered groups that could help?

My first idea was to incorporate the fact that for an element to be of order 2, it must be it's own inverse. (This made me think of the identity element- I don't know if that's what the proof is about). Secondly, I thought of using a cayley table for arbitrary operation, and for arbitrary amounts of elements. The only problem there is I didn't know how to fill out the table properly, as there was no operation, and I had no idea how to incorporate the fact that G is even ordered into the table.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse idea is the right track. What would happen if you had no element of order two?

Well... if there were no element of order 2, then there would be no element that was its own inverse. Sorry, but I don't know where to go from here... what i think up next seems awkward to me.

I think that you're trying to get me to show that G would be odd ordered, but I'm still unsure of how. What is a good example of an odd ordered group?

The integers modulo any odd number give an odd group (under addition), [tex]\bbmath{Z}_n[/tex].

Just think about the elements that aren't their own inverse for the moment. How many are there? Specifically are there an even number or an odd number of them?

calvino said:
Can someone help me on where to begin? What do I know about even ordered groups that could help?
My first idea was to incorporate the fact that for an element to be of order 2, it must be it's own inverse. (This made me think of the identity element- I don't know if that's what the proof is about). Secondly, I thought of using a cayley table for arbitrary operation, and for arbitrary amounts of elements. The only problem there is I didn't know how to fill out the table properly, as there was no operation, and I had no idea how to incorporate the fact that G is even ordered into the table.

i guess you can't use cauchy's theorem...?

fourier jr said:
i guess you can't use cauchy's theorem...?

This is probably from an earlier chapter. Cauchy isn't necessary here (though of course works).

i thought so, it seemed a little too easy

Suppose I tell you in a set S there is a way to pair up some of the elements of S exactly. What can you say about the number of elements paired up? Can you relate this to the inverses? What elements don't pair with something different? (And yes it's good you've spotted the identity element as being special)

What does it mean for a group to be "even ordered"?

An even ordered group is a group where the number of elements in the group is an even number.

Why is it important to prove that every even ordered group has an element of order 2?

This proof is important because it establishes a fundamental property of even ordered groups, which can be applied to various mathematical and scientific concepts and theories.

What is an element of order 2 in a group?

An element of order 2 in a group is an element that, when multiplied by itself, gives the identity element (the element that doesn't change other elements when multiplied with them).

What is the significance of having an element of order 2 in an even ordered group?

An element of order 2 provides a symmetry to the group, allowing it to be divided into two equal parts. This has applications in fields such as group theory, abstract algebra, and geometry.

How is the proof that every even ordered group has an element of order 2 demonstrated?

The proof typically involves using mathematical induction and the properties of even ordered groups to show that there must exist an element of order 2 in the group. It may also involve using the fact that every group has an identity element and an inverse element for each element in the group.