Discriminant is a symmetric polynomial

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the sign of the discriminant of a monic polynomial in Q[X] with n different complex zeroes is equal to (-1)^s, where 2s is the number of non-real zeroes of the polynomial. The discussion touches on the fact that the discriminant is a symmetric polynomial over Q and can be written as a polynomial in elementary symmetric polynomials. The question then asks for a hint on how to proceed with the proof, which involves showing that if z is a root of the polynomial, then so is its conjugate. The conversation also mentions using the fact that rational numbers are self-conjugate and the definition of the discriminant as a product of squares of differences of roots.
Pietjuh
I've got to proof the following:

Let f be a monic polynomial in Q[X] with deg(f) = n different complex zeroes. Show that the sign of the discriminant of f is equal to (-1)^s, with 2s the number of non real zeroes of f.

I know the statement makes sense, because the discriminant is a symmetric polynomial over Q, so it can be written as a polynomial in elementary symmetric polynomials.

The question seems to suggest that the complex zeroes always come in pairs of a zero and its conjugate. But even if this is true, i still don't know how to proceed :(

Can anyone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that if z is a root of the polynomial, then so is [itex]\bar{z}[/itex]. Use the fact that rational numbers are self-conjugate, and that

[tex]\overline{ab + c} = \overline{a}\overline{b} + \overline{c}[/tex]

Next, go to the definition of the descriminant as a product of squares of differences of roots. You know that if ri is a non-real root and if rj is a real root, then both [itex](r_i - r_j)^2[/itex] and [itex](\overline{r_i} - r_j)^2[/itex] will occur in the product, so consider what the product of these two factors will be (well, just consider the sign). Consider the case when both roots under consideration are real, when both are complex and not conjugate to one another, and when they are complex and conjugate to one another.

1. What is a discriminant?

A discriminant is a mathematical term used to determine the nature of the roots of a polynomial equation. It is commonly denoted as Δ or D and is calculated using the coefficients of the equation.

2. What is a symmetric polynomial?

A symmetric polynomial is a polynomial in which the order of the terms does not affect the value of the polynomial. This means that if you change the order of the terms, the polynomial remains the same.

3. How is the discriminant related to symmetric polynomials?

The discriminant is a symmetric polynomial itself. It is a polynomial function that can be written in terms of the coefficients of a given polynomial equation. This means that the discriminant is a symmetric function of the roots of the equation.

4. How is the discriminant used in mathematics?

The discriminant is used to determine the number and nature of the roots of a polynomial equation. It is also used in solving quadratic equations and is an important tool in algebra, calculus, and other branches of mathematics.

5. What are the properties of a symmetric polynomial?

A symmetric polynomial has the following properties: it remains unchanged when its terms are rearranged, it is invariant under any permutation of its variables, it is a symmetric function of its roots, and it has a finite number of terms.