How can I show f(x)=x2-cosx=0 has exactly 2 solutions?

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to prove that the function f(x)=x^2-cosx=0 has exactly 2 solutions. One method is to use the fact that f is even, continuous, and f(0)<0, f(1)>0 to show that there is at least one solution in 0<x<1 and one solution in -1<x<0. Another suggested method is to use Rolle's theorem to show that if f(a) and f(b) are both zero, then f'(c) is also zero for some c between a and b. However, it is noted that this method may not be helpful in this specific case. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a contradiction to
StephenPrivitera
How can I show f(x)=x2-cosx=0 has exactly 2 solutions? I can show it has at least two by using the fact that f is even and continuous and f(0)<0 and f(1)>0 so there's at least one solution in 0<x<1 and thus one solution in -1<x<0. I'm trying to derive a contradiction by assuming there's a third solution but I can't seem to find one.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the cuter ways to prove a function has no zeroes in a certain interval (e.g. [1, &infin;) )is to prove that it's left endpoint is positive and that it's increasing throughout the interval

Another thing that might help is Rolle's theorem; if f(a) and f(b) are both zero, then f'(c) is zero for some c between a and b.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hurkyl
One of the cuter ways to prove a function has no zeroes in a certain interval (e.g. [1, &infin;) )is to prove that it's left endpoint is positive and that it's increasing throughout the interval
I've already shown that f(x) cannot be zero if |x|>1 by using the fact that cosx<1 or cosx=1 (I didn't write it in the post). I've identified the existence of two numbers, c and -c such that 0<c<1 where f(c)=f(-c)=0. I don't think this method will help here.

Yes unfortunately, the fact that I should use this theorem has been haunting me. The chapter is on MVT, so I figured it should come into play somewhere. I cannot see how this helps at all. If I go by contradiction (assume a third x), then there will be 4 x's such that f(x)=0 (since when f(x)=0, f(-x)=0). So by MVT there will be 3 x such that f'(x)=0 (repeatedly applying the theorem). Thus, for at least 3 x, 2x=-sinx. So now the problem reduces to showing that this equation has 2 or less solutions. We have x=0 as a solution. Ah yes, the next derivative 2 + cosx is always positive. So f' is always increasing. So 2x=-sinx has only one solution.
I can take it from here. Thanks

To simplify things a little bit...

If you assume there are more than 2 solutions, there must be more than 2 positive solutions, and zero can't lie between those two solutions.

If you assume there are more than 2 solutions, there must be more than 2 positive solutions
Wait, why?

You already noticed that it's an even function. If the 3rd solution is negative, that means there's a 4th solution that's positive. :smile: (or, you can just play with the two negative solutions, if you prefer)

Basically, the thing I wanted to get at is saying "Well, if there are three solutions, then by Rolle's theorem 2x = -sin x has 3 solutions" is a non sequitor; in principle Rolle's theorem could return the same number three times. Given the actual problem at hand, it will give you the same number twice... but there's still that logical detail to prove that rolle's theorem doesn't give the same number a third time.

Ok well in that case there are at least two positive solutions. I think you made a mistake when you said there will be more than 2 positive solutions.
I figured that Rolle's theorem gives distinct x by applying it to disjoint intervals. If c, cp are distinct positive solutions with c<cp, then Rolle's theorem guanantees an x for each interval [-cp,-c], [-c,c], [c,cp] and each x will not be an endpoint of the interval. I found it necessary however to consider both positive and negative solutions.

Yes, that's what I meant; if there's a third solution, there must be a second positive solution!

Consider this: you know the only solution to 2x+sinx = 0 is x=0... so no solution can exist in the range [c, cp].

Consider this: you know the only solution to 2x+sinx = 0 is x=0... so no solution can exist in the range [c, cp].
Ah you're too creative!
I should have seen that myself.

1. How do I find the solutions to f(x)=x2-cosx=0?

To find the solutions to this equation, you can use the quadratic formula or graph the function and visually determine the points where it intersects the x-axis.

2. What is the significance of having exactly 2 solutions for f(x)=x2-cosx=0?

Having exactly 2 solutions for this equation means that the function intersects the x-axis at two distinct points. This also means that the function has two distinct roots, which can represent important values in real-life situations.

3. How do I prove that f(x)=x2-cosx=0 has exactly 2 solutions?

To prove that this equation has exactly 2 solutions, you can use the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that if a continuous function takes on values of opposite signs at two points in its domain, then it must have a root between those points.

4. Can I use calculus to show that f(x)=x2-cosx=0 has exactly 2 solutions?

Yes, you can use the Mean Value Theorem to show that this equation has exactly 2 solutions. The Mean Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous and differentiable on an interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval. This point corresponds to a root of the function.

5. Are the solutions to f(x)=x2-cosx=0 always the same?

No, the solutions to this equation can vary depending on the value of the constant c. If c is a positive number, there will be two distinct solutions. However, if c is a negative number, there will be no real solutions. This can be seen by analyzing the behavior of the function as c changes.