Are You Tired of Dealing with Gossiping Family Members?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: Joe) meeting two of your friends where one is white and the other is black. Then you ask Joe what he thought of your friend Mike. But then, he forgot who was Mike, and you just respond the black guy. There is NOTHING wrong with doing this. It's an easy description.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My mom and sister gossip like CRAZY! One day I'm just going to go insane. I can't take it anymore.

I really really really hope I can move in a year from now. It's just so bad.

For example, today my mom tells me she should send someone to clean the house. I was confused and then she said that there was dishes to be done. (My mom doesn't live with us. I live with my brother, and sister... and 3 freaking pets!)

Note: 2 of those pets are not properly trained. That is why I don't like them at all.

Big freaking deal. That takes two seconds to the dishes. Then she tells me that my sister told her about it and what not. They talk about the smallest things constantly. Not only that, I'm STILL recovering, so I can't just jump around and do one thing after the other for crying out loud.

Get this. My mom goes to a cafe daily to gossip with other people! Her boyfriend chooses not to go because he said it's just too brutal. You hug someone other than your significant other and they will gossip to the point that they now think you slept with this person in public! Yes, it's that bad.

Does anyone else know any crazy gossipers? Because this is just insane.

Note: My mom used to talk to people how I was going nowhere in life and what not because I had like D- average, but come on don't trash talk me that bad. Anyways, I went to college for Business and actually got on the President's Honour Roll, but now I'm in University for Mathematics and I'm on the Dean's Honour List. Guess what... she still thinks I'm going nowhere.

I seriously can't take this anymore.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you poor chap, how come you are still sane :confused:

wolram said:
you poor chap, how come you are still sane :confused:

I stay out of it as much as I can.

If they start talking junk to me, I usually stop talking and walk away. Don't give them anything else to start gossiping.

This is how stupid it gets. One time I was getting really mad about the stereotyping they were doing. It just drives me insane and angry when people come up with these "facts" about other groups. So, I told them NO, NO AND NO it's all false with regards to whatever they were saying. Then they said that everyone classifies groups and that it is normal. I said yeah it might be "normal", but not right!

Then I said you can classify people just for the sake of making it easier to describe such a person. For example, a black person is black/brown/tan. It just makes it easier to describe that particular person. It's like having someone (call him Joe) meeting two of your friends where one is white and the other is black. Then you ask Joe what he thought of your friend Mike. But then, he forgot who was Mike, and you just respond the black guy. There is NOTHING wrong with doing this. It's an easy description.

Anyways, she jumped the gun and said I was racist for describing people like that. That's just dumb. It makes no sense at all.

It is a no win situation Jason, bless their hearts they have been pre programed and nothing you do or say will change them.

My wife and her uncle used to gossip constantly about a particular cousin and his family that they both spent holidays with. The uncle would come to visit us - usually after having visited with them - and would ***** about what an *** they all were.

Eventually, I got sick of all the negativity - not merely becasue it was negative, but because it was wasted energy. I started asking why they kept visiting with them. Eventually, I just started hollering about why continue *****ing without doing anything to fix it or end it. They started to get the message.

JasonRox said:
I stay out of it as much as I can.

If they start talking junk to me, I usually stop talking and walk away. Don't give them anything else to start gossiping.

This is how stupid it gets. One time I was getting really mad about the stereotyping they were doing. It just drives me insane and angry when people come up with these "facts" about other groups. So, I told them NO, NO AND NO it's all false with regards to whatever they were saying. Then they said that everyone classifies groups and that it is normal. I said yeah it might be "normal", but not right!

Then I said you can classify people just for the sake of making it easier to describe such a person. For example, a black person is black/brown/tan. It just makes it easier to describe that particular person. It's like having someone (call him Joe) meeting two of your friends where one is white and the other is black. Then you ask Joe what he thought of your friend Mike. But then, he forgot who was Mike, and you just respond the black guy. There is NOTHING wrong with doing this. It's an easy description.

Anyways, she jumped the gun and said I was racist for describing people like that. That's just dumb. It makes no sense at all.

You know, the moment I met him, I found JasonRox to be very quick to judge. It was the first thing I noticed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Heard that one on Corner Gas.

DaveC426913 said:
You know, the moment I met him, I found JasonRox to be very quick to judge. It was the first thing I noticed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Heard that one on Corner Gas.

:eek: It's in the blood. :eek:

JasonRox said:
For example, a black person is black/brown/tan.

I lived on the Caribbean Island of St. Croix for a couple of years, and I found that people there use this type of description (with finer divisions) regularly.

Shortly after I got there, I was trying to describe a guy whom I had seen to some other (black) people. One guy said "Was he my colour, or was he more Benson's colour?"

George Jones said:
I lived on the Caribbean Island of St. Croix for a couple of years, and I found that people there use this type of description (with finer divisions) regularly.

Shortly after I got there, I was trying to describe a guy whom I had seen to some other (black) people. One guy said "Was he my colour, or was he more Benson's colour?"

Haha, that's kind of funny. Different grades. Obviously there are, but it's all good.

This thread is depressing and sad...

Thread locked.

Gossip is a really horrid thing.
Consider, for example, the PF Nuns...

Haha I come from a super small town where everybody knows everybody believe me i know all about the gossip! One thing happens and next thing you know everyone knows about in it varying degrees of the truth haha.

JasonRox said:
My mom and sister gossip like CRAZY! One day I'm just going to go insane. I can't take it anymore.

I really really really hope I can move in a year from now. It's just so bad.

For example, today my mom tells me she should send someone to clean the house. I was confused and then she said that there was dishes to be done. (My mom doesn't live with us. I live with my brother, and sister... and 3 freaking pets!)

Note: 2 of those pets are not properly trained. That is why I don't like them at all.

Big freaking deal. That takes two seconds to the dishes. Then she tells me that my sister told her about it and what not. They talk about the smallest things constantly. Not only that, I'm STILL recovering, so I can't just jump around and do one thing after the other for crying out loud.

Get this. My mom goes to a cafe daily to gossip with other people! Her boyfriend chooses not to go because he said it's just too brutal. You hug someone other than your significant other and they will gossip to the point that they now think you slept with this person in public! Yes, it's that bad.

Does anyone else know any crazy gossipers? Because this is just insane.

Note: My mom used to talk to people how I was going nowhere in life and what not because I had like D- average, but come on don't trash talk me that bad. Anyways, I went to college for Business and actually got on the President's Honour Roll, but now I'm in University for Mathematics and I'm on the Dean's Honour List. Guess what... she still thinks I'm going nowhere.

I seriously can't take this anymore.
:rofl: :rofl:

Here you're not gossiping about your Mom and sister at all!o:)

He is not gossiping, he is just venting his frustration with impossible relatives to somebody else.

arildno said:
He is not gossiping, he is just venting his frustration with impossible relatives to somebody else.
hmmm... isn't why the majority of people gossip?
:tongue2:

Back in high school, i had a friend from Venezuela that tended to have a fair amount of money. After my families gossip-mill had gone through its paces, I had a drug cartel head's son for a friend. Turns out he was the son of the Venezuelan's consulate in the US. Gossip is funny sometimes.

Gah! My mom and aunt are like that. Nothing said in the presence of either of them was sacred. On the other hand, if there was some news I wanted to share with the family, and didn't want to be bothered calling everyone to tell them, I just had to mention it to one or the other of them, and the job would do itself. The most annoying part of it was my mom's constant insistence that she doesn't gossip and can't stand people who do...uhn hum.

And, just like with what you're saying about your mom, Jason, it's all the kvetching. She never shares that so-and-so just got a promotion, or someone is doing really well in school, or just bought a new house, etc. It's always the bad side of things, or even if she shares good news, she has to tack on a "catch." So and so got promoted, "I wonder how long it'll be before he quits when he realizes he can't work 9 to 5 anymore?" or someone just bought a new house, "I just don't know how they'll manage to keep up the mortgage payments on their salaries," or, "they really should have held out for something a bit bigger," etc. But, mostly, she runs off to share everyone's medical maladies, even if they didn't want them shared (though, most people now know to not tell her unless they're going public with the news), or who just lost a job or got divorced. And yes, there's definitely the jumping to conclusions bit that always assumes the worst.

And she wonders why I don't call her very often. :rolleyes:

My mother is like that too, always the bad news becomes gossip

Moonbear said:
Gah! My mom and aunt are like that. Nothing said in the presence of either of them was sacred. On the other hand, if there was some news I wanted to share with the family, and didn't want to be bothered calling everyone to tell them, I just had to mention it to one or the other of them, and the job would do itself. The most annoying part of it was my mom's constant insistence that she doesn't gossip and can't stand people who do...uhn hum.

And, just like with what you're saying about your mom, Jason, it's all the kvetching. She never shares that so-and-so just got a promotion, or someone is doing really well in school, or just bought a new house, etc. It's always the bad side of things, or even if she shares good news, she has to tack on a "catch." So and so got promoted, "I wonder how long it'll be before he quits when he realizes he can't work 9 to 5 anymore?" or someone just bought a new house, "I just don't know how they'll manage to keep up the mortgage payments on their salaries," or, "they really should have held out for something a bit bigger," etc. But, mostly, she runs off to share everyone's medical maladies, even if they didn't want them shared (though, most people now know to not tell her unless they're going public with the news), or who just lost a job or got divorced. And yes, there's definitely the jumping to conclusions bit that always assumes the worst.

And she wonders why I don't call her very often. :rolleyes:
Does she criticize other peoples' curtains? :wink:

arildno said:
Does she criticize other peoples' curtains? :wink:
:rofl: Not specifically, but she does criticize my sister's interior decorating choices. She's never visited any place I've lived since my first apartment, so can't criticize my decorating, otherwise I'm sure she'd find things wrong to complain to everyone else about.

I assume everyone enjoys a good gossip once in a while.
But when does gossiping border on the pathological?

Pengwuino said:
Back in high school, i had a friend from Venezuela that tended to have a fair amount of money. After my families gossip-mill had gone through its paces, I had a drug cartel head's son for a friend. Turns out he was the son of the Venezuelan's consulate in the US. Gossip is funny sometimes.

.....cricket cricket cricket...

I thought I locked this thread?

cyrusabdollahi said:
.....cricket cricket cricket...

I thought I locked this thread?

Be quiet coke bottles

Sure thing bird brain.

1. Why do family members gossip?

Gossip is a form of communication that is often used to bond with others and build social connections. Family members may gossip because they feel it brings them closer together and allows them to share information and opinions about others.

2. How can gossiping family members affect relationships?

Gossiping can damage relationships within a family by causing mistrust, hurt feelings, and resentment. It can also create a toxic environment and lead to conflicts and misunderstandings.

3. How can I stop my family members from gossiping?

It's important to have open and honest communication with your family members about how gossiping makes you feel and the negative effects it can have on relationships. Encourage them to focus on positive and constructive conversations instead.

4. Is it ever okay to gossip with family members?

While it may seem harmless to gossip with family members, it can still have negative consequences. It's important to consider the impact of your words and to avoid participating in gossip, even with family members.

5. How can I deal with gossiping family members without causing conflict?

It's important to approach the situation calmly and respectfully. Acknowledge their feelings and try to redirect the conversation to something more positive. If necessary, set boundaries and make it clear that you do not want to participate in gossiping.