Solving the Integral of 3/2 / (u^2+3/4): Is it a Constant Issue?

In summary, we discussed the process of taking the integral of 3/2 / (u^2 + 3/4) and the correct answer of sqrt(3) * arctan(2u/sqrt(3)). We also addressed a mistake in step 4 and corrected it by using a substitution method to find the anti-derivative. The final answer is sqrt(3) * arctan(2u/sqrt(3)) + c.
jesuslovesu
Alright so, I'm trying to take the integral of 3/2 / (u^2 + 3/4)

according to the book the answer is sqrt(3) * arctan(2u/sqrt(3))
but when I try to get the integral I get: 2*arctan(2u/sqrt(3)) -- I don't see any way to take a sqrt(3) out of the function.

The graphs look about the same except they are shifted vertically apart. Is this just a constant issue (are the answers basically equivilent)? Or did I mess up my algebra?

[tex]
\frac{3/2}{u^2+3/4}
[/tex]

[tex]3/2 * \frac{1}{(4u^2+3)/4}[/tex]

[tex]3/2*4 * \frac{1}{4u^2+3}[/tex]

[tex]6* \frac{1}{3(4/3u^2+1)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:

but when I try to get the integral I get: 2*arctan(2u/sqrt(3)) -- I don't see any way to take a sqrt(3) out of the function.

The graphs look about the same except they are shifted vertically apart. Is this just a constant issue (are the answers basically equivilent)? Or did I mess up my algebra?

[tex]
\frac{3/2}{u^2+3/4}
[/tex]

Careful. You know that

[tex]\int{ \frac{1}{v^2 + 1} dv = arctan(v) + c.[/tex]

So, for your question, what is [itex]v[/itex]?

something was wrong in step 4.
becuse
[tex]\int { \frac{1} {px^2+1} dx = \frac{1} {\sqrt{p}} arctan(\sqrt{p} x) +c [/tex]
here p > 0.

thus,the correct answer is
[tex]\sqrt{3} arctan(\frac{2u} {\sqrt{3}}) +c[/tex]

jesuslovesu said:

[tex]
\frac{3/2}{u^2+3/4}
[/tex]

Fine still step 4. :)
You know that:
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u ^ 2 + 1} = \arctan (u) + C[/tex], right?
And now, you've gotten to:
[tex]\int \frac{6 dx}{3 \left( \frac{4}{3} u ^ 2 + 1 \right)} = \int \frac{2 dx}{\left( \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}} u \right) ^ 2 + 1 \right)}[/tex]
Now, to find the anti-derivative of this expression, you can use the substitution: [tex]v = \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}} u[/tex].
Can you go from here? :)

OK,let`s see it

[tex]\int \frac{6 du}{3 \left( \frac{4}{3} u ^ 2 + 1 \right)} = \int \frac{2 du}{\left( \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}} u \right) ^ 2 + 1 \right)}[/tex]
and now we use the substitution: [tex]p = \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}} u[/tex]
then we get this equation: [tex]u =\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} p[/tex]
so:
[tex]\int \frac{2 du}{\left( \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}} u \right) ^ 2 + 1 \right)}=\int \frac{2}{p^2+1}d(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} p) = \sqrt{3}actan(p) + c[/tex]
finally we get the answer:
[tex]\sqrt{3} arctan(\frac{2u} {\sqrt{3}}) +c[/tex]

Yup, it's correct, congratulations. :)

1. What is the process for solving the integral of 3/2 / (u^2+3/4)?

The first step in solving this integral is to rewrite it as 3/2 * (u^2+3/4)^-1. This allows us to use the power rule for integration. We then add 1 to the power, giving us 3/2 * (u^2+3/4)^0. We can then integrate this, giving us the final solution of 3/2 * ln(u^2+3/4) + C.

2. Is this integral a constant issue?

No, this integral is not a constant issue. A constant issue would involve a constant value being added or multiplied to the integrand, which would not change the process of solving the integral. In this case, we have a variable in the denominator, which makes the integral more complex to solve.

3. Can this integral be solved using substitution?

Yes, this integral can be solved using substitution. The substitution method involves replacing the variable u with a new variable, in this case, let's say v. We then rewrite the integral in terms of v and solve it using the power rule. Once we have the solution in terms of v, we can then substitute back in u to get the final solution.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving this integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving this integral. One is if the denominator (u^2+3/4) is a perfect square, in which case we can use a trigonometric substitution to simplify the integral. Another case is if the power of the denominator is odd, in which case we can use a partial fraction decomposition to solve the integral.

5. Why is it important to solve integrals like this one?

Solving integrals is important for a few reasons. One is that it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has practical applications in fields like physics and engineering. Integrals also help us to find the antiderivative of a function, which is useful in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of functions. Additionally, solving integrals can improve our problem-solving skills and deepen our understanding of mathematical concepts.