If you go fast enough will you turn into a black hole

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of objects turning into black holes once they reach a certain critical mass or density, and the idea of relative mass increasing with speed. It was also mentioned that in a person's coordinate system, they would not turn into a black hole, but the gravitational effect on other objects would be affected. The conversation also touched on particle accelerators and the concept of pure energy. The idea of rotating an object at the speed of light and it collapsing into a black hole was also considered, but deemed impossible.
My User Name
I was just thinking, once an object has a certain critical mass( or is it density?) it will turn into a black whole. The faster you go the larger your relative mass will get. If you go fast enough could you turn into a black whole.

( also, is your mass increase only relative to an slower moving observer. If it is, could their be such a thing as a relative black hole... [suddely goes cross eyed and has a pounding headache} mabey am thinking to hard, or not enough. if some one could clearn this up for me i would greatly appreate it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You will not turn into a black hole, since the mass in your coordinate system is unchanged. The gravitational effect on other bodies, which are going past you at close the speed of light, will be effected.

An example of a similar effect occurs in particle accelerators, where the particles are traveling very close to the speed of light. The strength of the magnetic field of the accelerator has to be adjusted for this increased mass, to keep the charged particles on track.

Greetings !

I'd like to add that a BH has no normal (Hawking
Radiation I consider abnormal here) emmisions -
its escape velocity is greater than c. However,
it is abvious that nothing (with rest mass)can
reach c relative to you and hence you will
always be able to receive EM signals from it,
which means that relative to you it won't be a BH.

Live long and prosper.

Might there be a supersymmetric velocity near c where massive bodies reduce to pure energy?

What's pure energy ?
No electromagnetic interactions with other objects ? Only gravitational ? Or what ?

Pure energy=energy without rest mass

Got it...

If you had a rectangular prism/bar and caused it to spin at c, could it collapse into a black hole (at the axis)?

It's impossible to rotate something at c, plus the axis would be at rest. Also, as has been pointed out, relatavistic mass does not contribute to whether or not something collapses into a black hole.

1. Will I really turn into a black hole if I go fast enough?

While it may seem like a common belief, the answer is no. The theory that an object can turn into a black hole simply by going fast enough is a misconception. In order to become a black hole, an object needs to have a certain amount of mass and be compressed to a certain size, which is not achievable by simply going fast.

2. How fast do I need to go to become a black hole?

The speed required to turn into a black hole is dependent on the mass of the object. Generally, an object needs to travel at the speed of light or faster to become a black hole. However, as mentioned before, speed alone is not enough to create a black hole.

3. Can an object with any mass turn into a black hole?

No, only objects with a significant amount of mass can turn into a black hole. This is because a large enough mass is needed to create a gravitational force strong enough to pull the object into a small enough size to become a black hole.

4. Will I be able to see myself turn into a black hole if I go fast enough?

No, you will not be able to see yourself turn into a black hole. As you approach the speed of light, time starts to slow down for you. This means that from your perspective, the process of turning into a black hole would happen very quickly, but to an outside observer, it would appear to take an infinite amount of time.

5. Is it possible for a human to survive going fast enough to become a black hole?

No, it is not possible for a human to survive the process of becoming a black hole. The intense gravitational forces and extreme conditions would not allow for any form of life to exist in that state. Additionally, the human body does not have enough mass to become a black hole, even if it were to travel at the speed of light.