Another number theory proof

In summary, for an odd prime p, the congruence x^2 ≡ 2 (mod p) has a solution if and only if p ≡ 1 (mod 8) or p ≡ -1 (mod 8). This can be proven using the quadratic reciprocity theorem. If p ≡ 3 (mod 8) or p ≡ 5 (mod 8), then the congruence has no solution.
ElDavidas

Homework Statement

Let [itex]p[/itex] be an odd prime. Show that [itex] x^2 \equiv 2 (mod p)[/itex] has a solution if and only if [itex]p \equiv 1 (mod 8)[/itex] or
[itex]p \equiv -1 (mod 8) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I figured the more of these I try, the better I'll get at them. Assuming that
[itex] x^2 \equiv 2 (mod p)[/itex] has a solution first. I get

[tex] 1 = ( \frac{2}{p} )= -1^{\frac{p^2 - 1}{8}} [/tex]

So [tex] 1 = -1^{\frac{p^2 - 1}{8}} [/tex].

This implies that [itex]\frac{p^2 - 1}{8}[/itex] must be even. So

[itex] \frac{p^2 - 1}{8} = 2k[/itex] for an integer [itex]k[/itex].

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track though. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. You are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. Let me guide you through the rest of the proof.

To show that x^2 ≡ 2 (mod p) has a solution, we need to find an integer x that satisfies this congruence. One way to do this is by using the quadratic reciprocity theorem, which states that for an odd prime p,

( \frac{2}{p} )= (-1)^{\frac{p^2 - 1}{8}}

This means that if p ≡ 1 (mod 8) or p ≡ -1 (mod 8), then the Legendre symbol (2/p) will be equal to 1, and therefore there exists an integer x such that x^2 ≡ 2 (mod p).

Now, let's assume that p ≡ 3 (mod 8) or p ≡ 5 (mod 8). In this case, the Legendre symbol (2/p) will be equal to -1, which means that there is no integer x that satisfies x^2 ≡ 2 (mod p). Therefore, p must be either 1 or -1 (mod 8) for the congruence to have a solution.

To summarize, if p ≡ 1 (mod 8) or p ≡ -1 (mod 8), then x^2 ≡ 2 (mod p) has a solution. If p ≡ 3 (mod 8) or p ≡ 5 (mod 8), then the congruence has no solution. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of whole numbers. It involves studying patterns and properties of numbers, as well as solving problems related to prime numbers, divisibility, and other concepts.

What is a proof in number theory?

A proof in number theory is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement or theorem related to numbers. It typically involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to reach a conclusion.

What is the importance of proofs in number theory?

Proofs in number theory are important because they provide a way to verify the validity of mathematical statements and theorems. They also help to deepen our understanding of number theory concepts and can lead to the discovery of new results and theories.

How can I improve my skills in writing number theory proofs?

To improve your skills in writing number theory proofs, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques in number theory. Practice is also key - the more you work on proofs, the better you will become at constructing logical arguments and identifying patterns and relationships in numbers.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid in writing number theory proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in writing number theory proofs include assuming what you are trying to prove, using incorrect or incomplete logic, and not clearly defining your terms and variables. It is also important to double check your work and make sure all steps and conclusions are clearly stated.