Find the Best Java Book for Absolute Beginners

• Thread starter i.mehrzad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: I try them out and if I dont like them, I can give them away to friends or coworkers.In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's interest in learning Java and asking for book recommendations. Various book suggestions are given, including "Big Java" and "Head First Java." The person also mentions using online resources and hands-on learning. Another person expresses their dislike for author Cay Horstmann's writing style and recommends free online resources from a university. The conversation ends with the original person explaining they received the books for free and can give them away if they do not like them. They also mention the cost of the books.
i.mehrzad
A good book please??

I am intersted in learning java, but am an absolute illeterate in this matter. Can someone tell me a starting point with regard to this.
I want to do java out of sheer interest and nothing else. Can someone guide me.

Technology news on Phys.org
i.mehrzad said:
I am intersted in learning java, but am an absolute illeterate in this matter. Can someone tell me a starting point with regard to this.
I want to do java out of sheer interest and nothing else. Can someone guide me.

Glad to see you are interested in Java. I would go to a library and pick up at least 5 books on the subject, read one chapter from each book and go with the one that is the most clear and readable for me.

My recommendations are

[1]Big Java, one of my all time favorite book on Java
[2]Head First Java, it is a fine book

for the rest of beginning books I cannot say I haven't read them.

[1] https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470105542/?tag=pfamazon01-20
[2] https://www.amazon.com/dp/0596009208/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought several books some years ago about java, javabeans, ...
I read none of them.
Instead, I used the compiler I had chosen, the help files and the javadoc files of the class hierarchy.
An hands-on approach was the best one.

Since then, I decided never to buy IT books anymore.

Ivor Horton's "Beginning Java 2" is well written, IMO.

I like books from Michael Main.

I hate cay horstmann, so id stay away.but i think the best way to to take the hello world class and edit from there, make changes and stuff and just read online, then compile and go from there, i would also uses eclipse as your ide http://www.eclipse.org/
Code:
class Helloworld{  

public static void main(String args[]) {
           System.out.println("Hello World!");
        }
}

Last edited:
Since i am in India my Exposure to International Editions of Books is fairly limited. The ones that i have down here are only the low priced Editions of books.
Also i am an absolute beginner and don't even know what programming is.
So please could someone now recommend me a book.

We just recommended you some books.

In my library I see on a lot of books with "Not for sale in the USA" tags but that doesn't mean they are defects.

If you don't like cheap books maybe you can try eBooks. I believe that Thinking In Java 3rd Edition is a free - you can legally copy it from here http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/, fell free to Google around.

Also I found this site's textbook to be written nicely but it looks a bit unfinished
http://www.cs101.org/

Llama77, what is wrong with Horstmann? I would like somebody like that to teach programming at my University.

Im just not a fan of his style, I own about 8 of his books and didnt learn much from any.

You can check this out.. its free...

www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~cs1101[/URL]

and this

[PLAIN]http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~cs1101l/ [Broken]

the first website has lecture notes, tutorials etc and the second one has labs and exercises to practice on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Llama77 said:
Im just not a fan of his style, I own about 8 of his books and didnt learn much from any.

Sorry but I just can't help not to comment: Why did you buy 8 books if you don't like the style of the books?

Except for Core Java they are pretty expensive too.

haki said:
Sorry but I just can't help not to comment: Why did you buy 8 books if you don't like the style of the books?

Except for Core Java they are pretty expensive too.

Because I get tech books for free,

1. What are the key features to look for in a Java book for absolute beginners?

When looking for a Java book for absolute beginners, it is important to consider the book's organization and structure, its use of clear and concise language, its inclusion of practical exercises and examples, its coverage of fundamental concepts and principles, and its relevance to current industry standards and trends.

2. Are there any recommended Java books for absolute beginners?

Some recommended Java books for absolute beginners include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel. It is important to do further research and read reviews to find the best fit for your learning style and goals.

3. Can I learn Java without any prior programming experience?

Yes, a good Java book for absolute beginners should assume no prior programming experience and provide clear explanations and examples to help you understand the language and its concepts. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic computer skills and logic.

4. Do I need to have a background in mathematics to learn Java?

No, a background in mathematics is not necessary to learn Java. While some programming concepts may involve mathematical concepts, a good Java book for absolute beginners will provide explanations and examples that do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. How long does it take to learn Java from a beginner's book?

The time it takes to learn Java from a beginner's book will vary depending on your learning pace and dedication. Generally, it takes a few months of consistent practice and study to become proficient in Java. It is important to practice regularly and seek additional resources and guidance when needed.