Finding time and range for a projectile launched from a cliff

In summary, the person had an error in their formula and corrected it to (sqrt(Voy^2 + 2gh)+Voy) / g. They then asked two questions about a projectile being fired from a cliff with given initial velocity, angle, and acceleration. They also mentioned using a formula from lecture and a website for help.
exi
Traced this down to an error in my formula as I'd copied it down; it's (sqrt(Voy^2 + 2gh)+Voy) / g, not (sqrt(Voy^2 + 2gh)-Voy) / g. Thanks though!

Homework Statement

A 0.57 kg projectile is fired into the air from a cliff that's 13.9 m above a valley.
Initial velocity = 7.97 m/s
Angle: 51° above horizontal.
Acceleration = g

1: How long is the projectile in the air?
2: How far from the bottom of the cliff does the projectile land?

Homework Equations

I tried to use (sqrt(Voy^2 + 2gh)-Voy) / g to find time after breaking down the initial velocity into axial components, but this yields 1.1669 s - obviously incorrect (and verified as such).

The Attempt at a Solution

My shot at the first portion of this is above, since the equation was used in lecture as a way to find the time (in order to find the range) of an object fired at an angle from an elevated position. Just over one second doesn't check out logically, but I'm not sure why a given formula isn't yielding proper numbers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first like to commend you for recognizing and acknowledging the error in your formula. This shows critical thinking and a willingness to troubleshoot and correct your mistakes.

To answer the first question, we can use the correct formula (sqrt(Voy^2 + 2gh)+Voy) / g to find the time of flight for the projectile. Plugging in the given values, we get (sqrt(7.97^2 + 2(9.8)(13.9))+7.97) / 9.8 = 2.39 seconds. This makes more sense intuitively, as the object should spend more than one second in the air before landing.

For the second question, we can use the equation x = Vx * t, where Vx is the horizontal component of the initial velocity and t is the time of flight. The horizontal component can be found using the formula Vx = V * cos(theta), where V is the initial velocity and theta is the angle of launch. Plugging in the given values, we get Vx = 7.97 * cos(51) = 5.18 m/s. Therefore, the distance from the bottom of the cliff where the projectile lands is x = 5.18 * 2.39 = 12.38 meters.

In conclusion, it is important to double check our formulas and calculations to ensure accuracy in our results. Keep up the good work of being a thorough and diligent scientist.

1. How do I find the time of flight for a projectile launched from a cliff?

The time of flight for a projectile launched from a cliff can be found using the formula t = 2v₀sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the range of a projectile launched from a cliff?

The range of a projectile launched from a cliff can be calculated using the formula R = v₀²sin2θ/g, where R is the range, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the time and range of a projectile launched from a cliff?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on both the time and range of a projectile launched from a cliff. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer time of flight and a shorter range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter time of flight and a longer range.

4. Can I use the same formulas for all types of projectiles launched from a cliff?

Yes, the formulas for finding the time and range of a projectile launched from a cliff can be used for all types of projectiles, as long as there are no external forces acting on the projectile during its flight.

5. Is air resistance a factor when determining the time and range of a projectile launched from a cliff?

No, the formulas for finding the time and range of a projectile launched from a cliff assume that there is no air resistance. In reality, air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile, but its impact is generally small and can be ignored for most practical purposes.