Bullet striking block, maximum height obtained?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 10-g bullet moving at 1000 m/s striking and passing through a 2.0-kg block at rest. The bullet emerges from the block at a speed of 400 m/s and the conversation focuses on finding the maximum height the block will rise after the collision. The solution involves using conservation of momentum during the collision to calculate the block's velocity, and then using conservation of energy to find the height it reaches. The final answer is approximately 0.46m.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

A 10-g bullet moving 1000 m/s strikes and passes through a 2.0-kg block initially at rest, as shown. The bullet emerges from the block with a speed of 400 m/s. To what maximum height will the block rise above its initial position?

Homework Equations

K = (mv^2)/2
W = F x d
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the initial kinetic energy of the bullet which is 5000 J, and the final as it exits the block, which is 800J, therefore am I right in assuming 4200 J has been given to the block?

I tried using E = mgh for the block, then I realized I did not know how quickly the block accelerated upwards, and to find that I would need F = ma, but I don't know the force either, do i need to find those two to finish this question off? Or is there another way to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe the picture, or post it? I'm guessing the block is on an incline, and the bullet is moving horizontally and strikes the block?

This isn't an elastic collision... so energy is converted to heat here... so you can't use conservation of kinetic energy during the collision.

No the block is not on an incline, and I think heat energy produced here is negligible.

The bullet moves upwards, and the block is sitting on a ledge, the ledge has a small gap in which the bullet goes through and strikes the block

Pictures doesn't fit, edited

JFonseka said:
No the block is not on an incline, and I think heat energy produced here is negligible.

The bullet moves upwards, and the block is sitting on a ledge, the ledge has a small gap in which the bullet goes through and strikes the block

Do they give the height of the block? And also, is the 1000m/s right before it hits the block?

You should use conservation of momentum during the collision to calculate the velocity of the block right after the collision.

Then you can use conservation of energy (kinetic energy and grav. potential energy) to see the height it goes up to.

JFonseka said:
-----------
| |
| |
| |
| |
-----------
============== ==================

^
||

There is a pitiful drawing :P

That's actually very good. :smile:

learningphysics said:
Do they give the height of the block?

You should use conservation of momentum during the collision to calculate the velocity of the block right after the collision.

Then you can use conservation of energy (kinetic energy and grav. potential energy) to see the height it goes up to.

No they don't give the height of the block, but thanks, I'll try momentum, forgot about that!

Cheers

learningphysics said:
That's actually very good. :smile:

Lol the drawing doesn't hold once it's posted, damn formatting

Yep, so I did mv + mv = mv + mv

Which means, 2(0) + 0.010(1000) = Momentum before collision = 10 kg/ms^-1

2(v) + 0.010(400) = Momentum after collision, leading to v = 3 m/s

K.E. of the block therefore is .5x2x9 = 9J

h = 9/19.62 = 0.46m, which is one of the answers, so I'm guessing it's right, thanks!

JFonseka said:
Yep, so I did mv + mv = mv + mv

Which means, 2(0) + 0.010(1000) = Momentum before collision = 10 kg/ms^-1

2(v) + 0.010(400) = Momentum after collision, leading to v = 3 m/s

K.E. of the block therefore is .5x2x9 = 9J

h = 9/19.62 = 0.46m, which is one of the answers, so I'm guessing it's right, thanks!

cool. you're welcome. :smile:

1. What is the maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes a block?

The maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes a block depends on a variety of factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the angle at which it strikes the block, and the material and dimensions of the block. In order to accurately determine the maximum height, all of these factors must be taken into consideration.

2. How does the angle of impact affect the maximum height obtained?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes a block. A bullet that strikes the block at a perpendicular angle will likely result in a higher maximum height compared to a bullet that strikes at an angle. This is because the perpendicular impact allows for more energy to be transferred to the block, resulting in a greater upward force.

3. Do different types of blocks have different maximum heights when struck by a bullet?

Yes, the material and dimensions of the block can greatly affect the maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes it. For example, a denser and thicker block will likely result in a higher maximum height compared to a less dense and thinner block. Additionally, different materials have different capacities for energy absorption, which can also impact the maximum height.

4. How can the maximum height obtained be calculated?

The maximum height obtained can be calculated using the conservation of energy formula, which takes into account the initial kinetic energy of the bullet and the potential energy gained when it reaches its maximum height. This calculation requires knowledge of the bullet's mass, velocity, and the height of the block.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes a block?

Yes, understanding the maximum height obtained when a bullet strikes a block can have practical applications in forensic science and crime scene investigation. By analyzing the trajectory and impact of a bullet, investigators can determine the angle and force at which it was fired, which can help in reconstructing a crime scene and identifying potential suspects.