Squaring a Bra: Understanding the Order of <\phi|^2 and <\phi|\phi>

• Thread starter ultimateguy
  • Start date
In summary: If you want a scalar, use option one. If you want an operator, use option two. Neither are called "squaring" -- and they're completely different things.Keep the following in mind, and give it a shot:\langle \phi _1 | A | \phi _2 \rangle ^* = \langle \phi _2 | A^{\dagger} | \phi _1 \rangle If \{ \phi _i \} is a complete basis, then \sum _i |\phi _i \rangle \langle \phi _i |= \mathbf{1}
ultimateguy
Which of the following is true?

[tex]<\phi|^2 = <\phi|\phi>[/tex]
[tex]<\phi|^2 = |\phi><\phi|[/tex]

Or does the order even matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure you can "square a bra" like that. But the order certainly matters.

Well I guess I should have said how do you multiply a bra by its complex conjugate, can you stick in the front or the back?

If you want a scalar, use option one. If you want an operator, use option two. Neither are called "squaring" -- and they're completely different things.

<phi|^2 = <phi|<phi| (pretty much meaningless)
<phi|phi> = 1 (or some other constant)
|phi><phi| = P_phi (an operator)

michael879 said:
<phi|^2 = <phi|<phi| (pretty much meaningless)

I don't think the tensor product is meaningless. One can build multi-particle states from it.

Ok well more specifically, my problem is turning this:

[tex](E_n - E_{n'}) <\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n> = \frac{i\hbar}{m} <\phi_{n'}|P|\phi_n>[/tex]

into this:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n'}^{} (E_n - E_{n'})^2 |<\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n>|^2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{m^2} <\phi_n|P^2|\phi_n>[/tex]

using the closure relation. So basically everything is getting squared, but I don't know how to handle the part with the P and it's respective bra and ket. And what is confusing me as well are the two [tex]\phi_n[/tex]'s intead of a [tex]\phi_{n'}[/tex] in there.

is X and P the position and momentum operator?

What have you tried so far?

ultimateguy said:
Ok well more specifically, my problem is turning this:

[tex](E_n - E_{n'}) <\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n> = \frac{i\hbar}{m} <\phi_{n'}|P|\phi_n>[/tex]

into this:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n'}^{} (E_n - E_{n'})^2 |<\phi_{n'}|X|\phi_n>|^2 = \frac{\hbar^2}{m^2} <\phi_n|P^2|\phi_n>[/tex]

using the closure relation. So basically everything is getting squared, but I don't know how to handle the part with the P and it's respective bra and ket. And what is confusing me as well are the two [tex]\phi_n[/tex]'s intead of a [tex]\phi_{n'}[/tex] in there.
Keep the following in mind, and give it a shot:

[tex] \langle \phi _1 | A | \phi _2 \rangle ^* = \langle \phi _2 | A^{\dagger} | \phi _1 \rangle [/tex]

If [itex] \{ \phi _i \} [/itex] is a complete basis, then [itex] \sum _i |\phi _i \rangle \langle \phi _i |= \mathbf{1} [/itex]

You want to multiply every complex number in the upper expression by its complex conjugate and then sum over n'.

PS: Before doing this, you might want to review the math a little bit. It seems you are unfamiliar with some of the basics of the algebra of a linear vector space.

For instance:

Well I guess I should have said how do you multiply a bra by its complex conjugate, can you stick in the front or the back?
A bra is not a complex number (scalar) and hence, can not have a complex conjugate. It does, however, exhibit a dual correspondence to a ket living in a ket space that is dual to the bra space that your bra comes from.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to "square a bra"?

Squaring a bra refers to the process of making sure the bra is evenly aligned and sitting flat against the body. This can involve adjusting the straps, adjusting the band, and making sure the cups are centered on the chest.

2. Why is it important to square a bra?

Squaring a bra ensures that the bra fits properly and provides the best support and comfort for the wearer. It also helps to prevent any discomfort or pain that may result from an improperly fitting bra.

3. How do I know if my bra needs to be squared?

If your bra feels uncomfortable, is riding up or digging into your skin, or the cups are not sitting evenly on your chest, it may need to be squared. Additionally, if you have recently gained or lost weight, it is a good idea to check and make sure your bra is still fitting properly.

4. Can I square my bra on my own?

Yes, you can square your bra on your own. It may take some trial and error to find the right adjustments for your body and bra, but it is a simple process that can make a big difference in the fit and comfort of your bra.

5. How often should I square my bra?

It is a good idea to check and adjust your bra every time you wear it to ensure the best fit. However, if you find that your bra is uncomfortable or not fitting properly, you may need to square it more frequently.