Home Network with File Sharing

In summary, you need to make sure two of your computers are in the same workgroup, install NetBIOS file transfer protocol, and type in \\computername\sharename to access the shared folder.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have two computers connected to the internet through a linksys router. It's a wireless router, but both computers are physically connected to the router using ethernet cables. Both computers running Windows XP, one is a laptop, one is a desktop.

I want to be able to share files and printers between the two computers i.e. set up a small home network.

I ran the Network Setup Wizard on both computers. Both belong to the same workgroup. Both have a folder (Shared Documents) for which sharing is enabled. I've tried putting files in one computer's shared documents folder to see if it appeared in the other (it didn't). I also tried accessing one computer from another by typing:

\\computername\sharename

It says the path is not found. What should I do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you have a firewall? Norton's interferes with my office network...

In windows, in the properties for your active network connection, in the firewall settings make sure you have an exception set for file and printer sharing.

First, you need to make sure two of your computers are in the same workgroup, you can check this by Right Clicking the My Computers and go to Properties.

Second, go to your LAN connection configuration, and make sure NetBIOS file transfer protocol is installed as one of the protocols for the computer.

Last, type in \\<computer name> to access the shared folder.

Better yet, if all of those are successful, you can map a network drive in one of the explorer's menus and make a driver-letter directly mapped to the shared folder.

Good luck, it shouldn't be difficult.

russ_watters said:
Do you have a firewall? Norton's interferes with my office network...

YUP...I actually fixed it last night by turning off Norton's Personal Firewall. These are my uncle's computers, so I wasn't too familiar with them. Thanks for the advice (everyone)

1. What is a home network with file sharing?

A home network with file sharing is a setup where multiple devices within a home, such as computers, tablets, and smartphones, are connected to each other through a network. This allows for easy sharing of files and resources between devices.

2. How do I set up a home network with file sharing?

To set up a home network with file sharing, you will need a router and Ethernet cables to connect all your devices. You will also need to configure the settings on your devices to allow for file sharing. Most operating systems have built-in tools to help you set up file sharing.

3. What are the benefits of having a home network with file sharing?

Having a home network with file sharing allows for easier collaboration and sharing of resources between devices. It also eliminates the need for physical transfer of files, which can be time-consuming and inefficient.

4. Is home network with file sharing secure?

Like any network, a home network with file sharing can be vulnerable to security threats. It is important to properly secure your network by setting up strong passwords and limiting access to authorized users. You can also use network security protocols, such as WPA2, to encrypt your network.

5. Can I access my home network with file sharing remotely?

Yes, you can access your home network with file sharing remotely by setting up a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This allows you to securely access your home network from anywhere with an internet connection.