How Do Fermi and Bose Statistics Explain Particle Behavior in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the Fermi Dirac distribution says that the probability of finding an electron in a particular energy level is a sum of the probability of finding that electron in the energy level immediately above it and the probability of finding that electron in the energy level immediately below it.
jostpuur
Suppose we have particles of kind B, that consist of two fermions of kind F. Now the particles B satisfy the Bose statistics. But what precisely does this mean? If we have four F particles, the system is described by a wave function

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)
[/tex]

Suppose the particles 1 and 2 are bounded and form one particle B, and 3 and 4 are bounded too. Then it should be possible to approximate this system as a two particle system

[tex]
\approx \psi'(x_{12}, x_{34})
[/tex]

where [itex]x_{12}[/itex] and [itex]x_{34}[/itex] are some kind of approximate coordinates for the particles B.

How can these ideas made more rigor? We have

[tex]
\psi(x_{\sigma(1)}, x_{\sigma(2)}, x_{\sigma(3)}, x_{\sigma(4)}) = \varepsilon(\sigma) \psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4),
[/tex]

and we want to prove

[tex]
\psi'(x_{12}, x_{34}) = \psi'(x_{34}, x_{12}).
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
One could try to prove that just by

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \psi(x_3,x_4,x_1,x_2).
[/tex]

but there's still something I don't like this. What precisely is that "approximation wave function"? I haven't seen any definitions for such things anywhere.

What would

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = -\psi(x_2,x_1,x_3,x_4)
[/tex]

mean? The particle [itex]x_{12}[/itex] doesn't move anywhere, but the wave function changes sign. So we could also continue

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \psi(x_3,x_4,x_1,x_2) = -\psi(x_3,x_4,x_2,x_1)
\quad\underset{\textrm{maybe}}{\implies}\quad \psi'(x_{12},x_{34}) = -\psi'(x_{34},x_{12})
[/tex]

and the confusion continues.

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
One could try to prove that just by

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \psi(x_3,x_4,x_1,x_2).
[/tex]

but there's still something I don't like this. What precisely is that "approximation wave function"? I haven't seen any definitions for such things anywhere.

I am unfamiliar with this term "approximation wavefunction" - can you tell me where you saw it? In the limit that you have four fermions, both pair of them forming bound states that do not interact, it is exactly true that the 4-fermion wavefunction factorizes into a product of 2 wavefunctions

[tex]
\Psi_F(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \psi_F(x_1,x_2)\psi_F(x_3,x_4)-\psi_F(x_1,x_3)\psi_F(x_2,x_4)+\psi_F(x_1,x_4)\psi_F(x_2,x_3)
[/tex]

Note at this stage, everything's still fermionic, and you need all of these terms with the signs to be sure to maintain the antisymmetry with all particles. As I say, as long as there are no 3-or-more-body interactions between the fermions, this is an exact equation. If you cannot entirely ignore such interactions, then there are corrections to this result. Maybe that's what you mean by "approximate".
What would

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = -\psi(x_2,x_1,x_3,x_4)
[/tex]

mean? The particle [itex]x_{12}[/itex] doesn't move anywhere, but the wave function changes sign. So we could also continue

[tex]
\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \psi(x_3,x_4,x_1,x_2) = -\psi(x_3,x_4,x_2,x_1)
\quad\underset{\textrm{maybe}}{\implies}\quad \psi'(x_{12},x_{34}) = -\psi'(x_{34},x_{12})
[/tex]

and the confusion continues.

I don't think it means anything! You have to be very careful about what it is you are exchanging. For example, if you are exchanging two of the fermions (in or out of the bound state) then you must use the fermionic wavefunction. However, if you are exchanging two bosons (PAIRS of fermions) you can either use the bosonic wavefunction, OR you can still use the fermionic wavefunction - both give you the same answer. But if you exchange two fermions inside a boson, then you are exchanging two fermions and must use the fermion wavefunction. It is incorrect to talk about bosons in that case.

I always get a headache keeping track of this stuff! ;-)

blechman said:
I am unfamiliar with this term "approximation wavefunction" - can you tell me where you saw it?

I haven't seen it anywhere. But surely there must be some kind of approximation wave function. Everybody talks that pairs of fermions can form bosonic particles, and it wouldn't make sense unless there was some wave function for the new bosonic particles.

The only thing I can think of is that you must ignore the substructure of composite bosons made of fermions if you want to write down a bosonic wavefunction, and that is an approximation. I see this point was mentioned in the thread "bosonic atoms"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190325

I have a naive question about Fermi Dirac distribution. In solid state electronics we learned that doping an intrinsic semiconductor with n type material shifts the fermi level close to conduction band increasing probability of finding an electron in conduction band. But at the same time from Fermi Dirac distribution, the probability of finding electron in valence band is also increasing. How can both of them possible at the same time, given sum of probability finding electron in conduction band and valence band is 1.

1. What are Fermi and Bose statistics?

Fermi and Bose statistics are two different types of statistical distributions that describe the behavior of particles in a system. They were developed by Enrico Fermi and Satyendra Nath Bose, respectively, in the early 20th century.

2. What is the difference between Fermi and Bose statistics?

The main difference between Fermi and Bose statistics is that they apply to different types of particles. Fermi statistics are used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and protons. Bose statistics, on the other hand, apply to bosons, which are particles with integer spin, such as photons and gluons.

3. What are some real-life applications of Fermi and Bose statistics?

Fermi and Bose statistics have many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to understand the behavior of particles in materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors, and to predict the properties of various systems, including gases and liquids.

4. How do Fermi and Bose statistics relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is directly related to Fermi statistics, as it explains why fermions obey Fermi-Dirac statistics, which account for the exclusion principle. On the other hand, bosons do not follow the exclusion principle and instead obey Bose-Einstein statistics.

5. Are Fermi and Bose statistics only applicable to particles?

No, the principles of Fermi and Bose statistics can also be applied to other types of entities, such as excitations in a solid or even photons in an electromagnetic field. In these cases, the statistics describe the behavior of the entities as if they were particles, even though they may not have any mass or size.