Exploring Relativity with Interactive Software

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free special and general relativity software package that can help visualize spacetime warping, length contractions, and lightcones. The participants mention various options, including a Java-based package that can be customized, a simple viewing and interaction tool, and personal visualizations in Python and Java. The main focus is on the desire to visualize spacetime diagrams.
ehrenfest
Does anyone know of a good, free special and general relativity software package that would allow me to do things like visualize spacetime warping or length contractions or lightcones?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give some more detailed examples of the typical types of thing you would like to do with the software, please?

Are you trying to visualize spacetime diagrams?
or visualize graphical plots of relevant subspaces?
or visualize optical effects?

I don't really know what the software is capable of. But for a start, it would be nice to visualize spacetime diagrams.

ehrenfest said:
But for a start, it would be nice to visualize spacetime diagrams.

I'd like that too. :)

One package that might be worth looking at is
http://www.opensourcephysics.org/apps/gr_programs/special_relativity/index.html
which is Java based... and can probably be customized.
However, there might be some setup required.

For simple viewing and interaction:
www.its.caltech.edu/~phys1/java/phys1/Einstein/Einstein.html
http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/java/TwinParadox.html (my ancient applet)

There are some other relativity applets around... but they don't draw spacetime diagrams... but rather spatial diagrams, which have some but only limited use.

The visualizations I do are in Python and in Java... but they're not ready for general usage by others [i.e. they work for me to some extent, but isn't friendly enough for others to use for their own purposes yet].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the Relativity software package?

The Relativity software package is a powerful tool designed for data analysis and management in the legal industry. It allows users to organize, review, and analyze large amounts of data for legal cases.

2. Is the Relativity software package user-friendly?

Yes, the Relativity software package is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. It has a user-friendly interface and offers a variety of training and support resources to help users get familiar with the software.

3. Can the Relativity software package handle large amounts of data?

Yes, the Relativity software package is specifically designed to handle large amounts of data. It has powerful search and filtering capabilities, as well as advanced data processing and analytics tools.

4. Is the Relativity software package secure for sensitive data?

Yes, the Relativity software package has multiple security features in place to protect sensitive data. It has strict access controls, data encryption, and regular security updates to ensure the safety of data.

5. Can the Relativity software package be customized to fit specific needs?

Yes, the Relativity software package offers customization options to fit the specific needs of each user. It allows users to create custom workflows, templates, and layouts, and also offers integration with other software and applications.