Time to fall into a black hole.

In summary, the problem involves starting at rest at a great distance and plunging towards a black hole of mass M. The goal is to determine how much time is left until the instant of crunch, using the metric to integrate from the horizon to the center.
wackypete

Homework Statement

Starting from rest at a great distance, you plunge straight towards a black hole of mass M. You set your watch to noon as you determine that you are crossing the horizon. How much more time do you have (as measured on your watch) until the instant of crunch?

Homework Equations

Nothing else is given in the problem. I thought I would need to know the metric.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand correctly the metric tells me how to measure distance and time so I would just integrate from the r=horizon to r=0 to get the time? Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think yes.You should integrate.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an area of space with a gravitational pull so strong that not even light can escape from it. It is created when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How does time behave near a black hole?

Near a black hole, time is affected by the intense gravitational pull. Time slows down as you get closer to the black hole's event horizon, the point of no return. This is due to the warping of space-time by the black hole's mass.

3. Can someone survive falling into a black hole?

No, it is currently impossible for a person to survive falling into a black hole. The intense gravitational forces would stretch and spaghettify the person until they are torn apart. However, this is all theoretical as no one has ever been observed falling into a black hole.

4. Will time stop if someone falls into a black hole?

From an outside observer's perspective, it may seem like time has stopped for the person falling into a black hole. However, for the person falling, time will continue to pass normally until they reach the singularity at the center of the black hole.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole. The gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that even light, which is the fastest thing in the universe, cannot escape. This is why black holes appear as black voids in space.