Calculating Magnetic Field Strength for Parallel-Plate Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a 10-cm-diameter parallel-plate capacitor with a 1.0 mm spacing, and an increasing electric field at a rate of 1*10^6V/m/s. The homework equations and attempted solution involve calculating the magnetic field strength at various distances from the axis. The final answer for the magnetic field strength 3.0 cm from the axis is 1.67*10^-13 T, and the next question asks for the magnetic field strength 7 cm from the axis.
spacemanrussell

Homework Statement

A 10-cm-diameter parallel-plate capacitor has a 1.0 mm spacing. The electric field between the plates is increasing at the rate 1*10^6V/m/s.

What is the magnetic field strength 3.0 cm from the axis?

Homework Equations

B= uo/(2*pi) *r/R^2*(Chang in Q/ change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting 2.4

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to change the unites for the increase rate to C/s.
anyone knows how?

Oh good thinking- I probably need to accound for the charge of an electron.

I got the answer from masteringphysics.com 1.67*10^-13 T.
Now what is the magnetic field strength 7cm from the axis?

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field strength for a parallel-plate capacitor?

To calculate the magnetic field strength for a parallel-plate capacitor, you can use the formula B = μI/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ is the permeability of the material between the plates, I is the current flowing through the plates, and r is the distance from the center of the plates to the point where you want to measure the magnetic field.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be measured in Gauss (G) or milliTesla (mT).

3. Can the magnetic field strength be negative?

No, the magnetic field strength cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. However, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed depending on the orientation of the current flow.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases. This is because the magnetic field lines spread out more as the distance increases, making the field weaker.

5. What is the significance of calculating the magnetic field strength for a parallel-plate capacitor?

Calculating the magnetic field strength for a parallel-plate capacitor is important for understanding the behavior of the capacitor in an electromagnetic system. It can also help in designing and optimizing circuits and devices that use parallel-plate capacitors as components.