When to take high school physics?

In summary: Exactly. So I don't see why we would give them any credence in a physics class. History of science, or a tid bit or something, but we spent a week on them.
SciTim
Hi, I just fininshed Algebra I and I am about to start algebra II
I plan to be a physics professer one day, so when do I start taking some sort of high school physics?
I would like to take some now but I do not know if I have enough math yet.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your school. Check your curriculum... and any possible pre-requisites.

In most places in the US, physics comes later [in the junior or senior year] after biology and chemistry, if it is offered at all. If you are fortunate, your school might be trying the "physics first" approach (http://www.aapt.org/Policy/physicsfirst.cfm).

I'm surprised you have a choice. In my high school, non-calculus physics was required for freshmen, and AP physics was optional for seniors only.

For non-calculus physics, you should be fine with an algebra background. For calculus-based physics, you'll need knowledge of basic calculus.

Geometry and trig never hurt, but I don't remember doing anything besides algebra in my physics class in high school. Of course, I'm in the US, so we spent over a week on Aristotle and then the teacher said "Yeah, everything he said was wrong."

Would it have been so hard to just teach me what was correct right from the beginning?

Poop-Loops said:
Geometry and trig never hurt, but I don't remember doing anything besides algebra in my physics class in high school. Of course, I'm in the US, so we spent over a week on Aristotle and then the teacher said "Yeah, everything he said was wrong."

Would it have been so hard to just teach me what was correct right from the beginning?

That's a [pseudo-]historical approach... which has some value.

At the other extreme, one could skip Newton's Laws and jump straight to relativity and/or quantum mechanics... which are arguably more "correct"... however, the typical student would probably have trouble with this approach [at least the way it is currently taught now].

I do sympathize with your comment, however.

Sorry, mabey I should have said this, but I am homeschooled.
So I kind of have a choice!
Thanks!

As Poop-Loops noted, a "normal" (non-AP) high school physics course probably doesn't use any trigonometry. It's been a long time since I took mine so I can't remember, myself, and things may have changed since then anyway. However, if you wait until you've studied a bit of trigonometry (at least the basic stuff about sines, cosines and tangents), you can use an "algebra/trig-based" introductory college physics book such as Giancoli or Serway/Faughn. There are also calculus-based books such as Tipler/Mosca and Halliday/Resnick/Walker or Halliday/Resnick/Krane, but if you do go into physics in college, you'll probably use one of those books anyway in your freshman year.

If you're home schooled, that changes everything. You can actually learn something. Giancolli is a very easy, yet comprehensive textbook for physics. The problems are tricky algebraically sometimes and even use some trig if I remember. I think there's some calculus sprinkled around, too. It gives you a nice conceptual idea of physics and gives you some basic math practice, though. I don't remember there being any derivations, so that might come as a shock when you hit any higher level physics.

robphy said:
That's a [pseudo-]historical approach... which has some value.

At the other extreme, one could skip Newton's Laws and jump straight to relativity and/or quantum mechanics... which are arguably more "correct"... however, the typical student would probably have trouble with this approach [at least the way it is currently taught now].

I do sympathize with your comment, however.

Newton's laws are an approximation. Aristotle's laws are a fabrication. :(

Poop-Loops said:
Newton's laws are an approximation. Aristotle's laws are a fabrication. :(

It's easy to say that now.
It might be best to say that those were their best formulations based on what data and methods [however limited and imperfect] they had at the time. They had some [even if only roughly] predictive power.

robphy said:
It's easy to say that now.

Exactly. So I don't see why we would give them any credence in a physics class. History of science, or a tid bit or something, but we spent a week on them.

The fact that we had to was appalling in the first place, since it was in 12th grade, when I was 17. So many years of science and we didn't know of Aristotle (I did, I'm awesome like that)?

1. When should high school students take physics?

The best time for high school students to take physics is typically during their junior or senior year. This is because most students have already taken algebra and geometry, which are important foundations for understanding physics concepts. Additionally, many colleges and universities require at least one year of high school physics for admission, so taking it during junior or senior year allows students to have this requirement completed before applying.

2. Can I take high school physics if I haven't taken advanced math courses?

It is recommended, but not required, for students to have taken algebra and geometry before taking high school physics. This is because physics involves mathematical concepts and equations, and having a strong foundation in these subjects can make it easier to understand and apply them in physics. However, if a student is motivated and willing to put in extra effort to catch up on any math concepts they may have missed, they can still be successful in high school physics without advanced math courses.

3. What are the benefits of taking high school physics?

Taking high school physics can have several benefits. It can help students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and a deeper understanding of the world around them. It can also prepare them for college-level science courses and careers in STEM fields. Additionally, many colleges and universities view high school physics as a challenging and rigorous course, and it can help students stand out on their college applications.

4. Is it better to take AP or honors physics in high school?

This depends on the individual student's goals and abilities. AP physics is a college-level course and can earn students college credit if they pass the AP exam. It is a more rigorous and fast-paced course, so it may be more suitable for students who excel in math and science and want to challenge themselves. Honors physics, on the other hand, is still a challenging course but may move at a slightly slower pace and cover less material. It may be a better fit for students who want to take physics but may not feel ready for the intensity of AP.

5. Can I take high school physics online?

Yes, many high schools and online education platforms offer high school physics courses online. This can be a good option for students who have scheduling conflicts or prefer to learn at their own pace. However, it is important to make sure that the online course is accredited and meets the same standards as an in-person course. It is also important for students to have access to hands-on lab experiments and activities, as these are an essential part of learning physics.