Telescope and astronomy questions

In summary, a motorized telescope does not require a computer to operate, but a printed star atlas and a dim red flashlight are helpful for finding objects in the sky.
bassplayer142
My friend has a telescope that I think is controlled with a motor. Does this kind of telescope have to be hooked up to a computer or something. Were going out to look at Mars and I don't really know anything about setting up telescopes or anything. What kind of computer program would I need and is there a nice website out there that shows what's in the sky in my area at any given time and how to find it. I was looking at the sky chart at www.heavens-above.com and I'm not sure if that's it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Few telescopes need to be hooked up to a computer in order to be usable. We cannot tell you anything about how to set up the telescope, because you've told us nothing at all about it. Your best bet in terms of finding objects is to go to a bookstore for a copy of a printed star atlas, make or buy a dim red flashlight to read it, and bring it with you when you go out. You obviously won't need a star chart in order to find Mars, though -- it's hard to miss.

- Warren

chroot said:
Few telescopes need to be hooked up to a computer in order to be usable. We cannot tell you anything about how to set up the telescope, because you've told us nothing at all about it. Your best bet in terms of finding objects is to go to a bookstore for a copy of a printed star atlas, make or buy a dim red flashlight to read it, and bring it with you when you go out. You obviously won't need a star chart in order to find Mars, though -- it's hard to miss.

- Warren

Sorry, I don't know a lot about the telescope. I have never used it before. I don't understand how a telescope could have a motor on it and not be hooked up to some kind of computer with software to control it. I guess I should get more information then. thanks

Well, one kind of "motor" is simply a tracking motor, which just turns very slowly -- exactly once per day. It requires no electronics at all, but just a power supply.

Other mounts have all kind of motors to aim the telescope, track objects in two dimensions, etc. These much more complex mounts do require some kind of computer control, but it's usually included with the telescope.

Only a very small portion of "consumer level" astronomical equipment requires a PC to operate.

- Warren

Some telescopes have one or two motor drives. One being a declination drive, the other being right ascension.

They can be manual or computer controlled. The older manual drives are simply geared to drive one revolution per day. The new computer controlled usually have a 'go to' mode where the motor drives will position the scope at a particular object, input by the user.

Having a motor I assume the telescope is on an equatorial mount. This mount has to be adjusted to the observers latitude then has to be positioned to 'point' at Polaris the north star.

After proper adjustments, one can point the telescope an object and the scope should drive to keep the object in view.

So, in other words you could put the star 'Rigel' in the eye piece, leave, the return in an hour and the star should still be visible in the eye piece.

However, you should still not have a problem using the scope moved manually and making observations.

The big plus with using motor drives is astrophotography and making long exposures.

Ron

good job wave form you said every thin i was thinking

1. What is the purpose of a telescope?

A telescope is an optical instrument that is used to observe and study objects in the night sky, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. Its main purpose is to gather and focus light, making these objects appear larger and brighter for us to see and study in detail.

2. How do telescopes work?

Telescopes work by using lenses or mirrors to collect and focus light. The light is then magnified and directed to our eyes or a camera, allowing us to see distant objects in the sky. The larger the diameter of the lens or mirror, the more light it can gather and the clearer the image will be.

3. What is the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope?

A refracting telescope uses lenses to gather and focus light, while a reflecting telescope uses mirrors. Refracting telescopes tend to be smaller and more portable, but they can suffer from chromatic aberration (distortion of colors). Reflecting telescopes, on the other hand, can be much larger and gather more light, but they require precise alignment of their mirrors.

4. Can I use a telescope to see distant objects on Earth?

No, telescopes are designed for viewing objects in the night sky and are not suitable for viewing objects on Earth. The Earth's atmosphere blurs and distorts the images seen through a telescope, making it difficult to see distant objects on the ground. Telescopes are also not powerful enough to see objects that are too small, such as individual people or buildings.

5. What can I see with a telescope?

With a telescope, you can see a variety of objects in the night sky, including the Moon, planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. Depending on the size and quality of the telescope, you may also be able to see some of the moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, and other faint objects in the deep sky. However, the visibility and clarity of these objects may vary depending on factors such as light pollution, weather conditions, and the quality of the telescope itself.