CS Math Double Major, Advice Please

In summary, the individual is planning on getting a double major in Computer Science and Mathematics and is seeking recommendations for which math track to choose (pure, applied, or statistics) as well as elective courses. Depending on their career goals, the statistics track may be beneficial for data mining, while the applied math track may be more useful for financial services. Suggested elective courses include linear algebra, numerical methods, and advanced probability and statistics. These courses can be relevant for math-heavy coding and are also required for a statistics certification in some companies.
jokerthief
I was originally planning on being a CS major and a Math minor but after a little research, I found out that it's only about a semester more work to get a double major. Since I like Math and wanted to take more Math classes anyway, I'm going to get the double major. I'd like some suggestions on which math route to take. I plan on entering the work force as a computer scientist and I want to plan my math major to best suit that goal. I have two basic questions: Which math track should I choose (pure, applied, or statistics) and which electives do you recommend I take?

My goal is to educate myself to become the best computer scientist I can be. If that means taking the hardest route to the double major or even if it means taking a couple additional classes beyond the requirement, then that is fine with me. Here's the details of the three track requirements:

Mathematics Major/Minor Requirements
Mathematics Major
(College of Business, College of Liberal Studies, and College of Science and Allied Health)
38 credits
The following 7 courses are required:
• 207 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (5)
• 208 Calculus II (4)
• 225 Logic and Discrete Mathematics (4)
• 309 Linear Algebra with Differential Equations (4)
• 310 Calculus III: Multivariate Calculus (4)
• 407 Real Analysis I (4)
• 411 Abstract Algebra I (4)

Also 9 additional credits chosen from:
• 311 Number Theory (3)
• 317 Graph Theory (3)+
• 320 History of Mathematics (3)
• 331 Intro. to Modern Geometry (3)
• 341 Probability and Statistics (4)
• 353 Differential Equations (3)
• 371 Intro. to Numerical Methods (3)+
• 408 Real Analysis II (3)
• 410 Complex Analysis (3)
• 412 Abstract Algebra II (3)
• 413 Topics in Linear Algebra (3)
• 441 Mathematical Statistics I (3)
• 442 Mathematical Statistics II (3)
• 461 Mathematical Physics (3)^
• 480 Studies in Applied Mathematics (3)
• C-S 453 Intro to Theory of Computation(3)+
• PHY 470 Adv. Quantum Mechanics(4)

Mathematics Major with Applied Emphasis
39 credits
The following 7 courses are required:
• 207 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (5)
• 208 Calculus II (4)
• 225 Logic and Discrete Mathematics (4)
• 353 Differential Equations (3)
• 371 Intro. To Numerical Methods (3)
One of the following courses must be taken:
• 461 Mathematical Physics (3)

Also 9 additional credits chosen from:
• 408 Real Analysis II (3)
• 413 Topics in Linear Algebra (3)
• 448 Operations Research (3)
• 461 Mathematical Physics (3)
Three of the 9 additional credits may be met by completing one of the following courses:
• CHM 310 Physical Chemistry Theory II (3)
• C-S 453 Intro. To Theory of Computation (3)
• PHY 470 Adv. Quantum Mechanics (4)
• PHY 474 Adv. Computational Physics (4)

Mathematics Major with Emphasis in Statistics
39 credits
The following 10 courses are required:
• 207 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (5)*
• 208 Calculus II (4)
• 445 General Linear Models (3)
• 446 Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments

Also 6 additional credits chosen from:
• 305 Statistical Methods (3)
• 371 Intro. to Numerical Methods (3)
• 444 Introduction to Sampling (3)
• 447 Nonparametric Statistics (3)
• 448 Operations Research (3)

Physics news on Phys.org
jokerthief said:
I plan on entering the work force as a computer scientist and I want to plan my math major to best suit that goal. I have two basic questions: Which math track should I choose (pure, applied, or statistics) and which electives do you recommend I take?
Depends what kind of work you end up doing as a computer scientist. Statistics is a great route if you plan on going into data mining (think google and the like), where as applied math may be more practical if you plan on going the financial services route.

As for electives:

The stats route could be too much stats for data mining, so you can cram it into the Applied route by taking 341, 441 and 442. Linear algebra is also really important for a lot of the pattern recognition algorithms, so you may want to see what that course is all about.

If you go the stats route, numerical methods is a good option 'cause it's all about approximating equations so they can be translated to algorithm form. Nonparametric stats is another useful course. (Don't know what your statistical methods course covers-if it's all applied stats using some software-take that.)

Last edited:
I agree that numerical methods would be a good choice. When I took numerical analysis we covered things like the error involved in performing calculations with different data types, how to represent functions approximately for computation, how to solve various equations numerically, etc. I'm not sure what mathematical statistics entails, but we had a 2 semester series of advanced probability and advanced statistics based on multidimensional calc and set theory etc. Those would probably also be very relevant to any math-heavy coding you'd do in the real world.

I use my probability course all the time at work. Every salaried employee in the company is actually required to earn a statistics (six sigma) certification, and the majority of mid/upper level people have to teach stats and mentor everyone else on their projects as their full time job for part of their career.

Last edited:

What is a CS Math double major?

A CS Math double major is a degree program that combines the fields of computer science and mathematics. Students in this program will take courses in both subjects and gain a deep understanding of how they are interconnected.

What are the benefits of pursuing a CS Math double major?

There are several benefits to pursuing a CS Math double major. This combination of disciplines allows students to develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in both computer science and mathematics. This can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, software engineering, and more.

What should I consider before pursuing a CS Math double major?

Before committing to a CS Math double major, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. This program requires a strong aptitude for both computer science and mathematics, so it may not be the best fit for everyone. It is also important to carefully plan out your course schedule to ensure you are able to complete the requirements for both majors within a reasonable timeframe.

What tips do you have for successfully completing a CS Math double major?

To successfully complete a CS Math double major, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to communicate with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to fulfill all of the requirements for both majors. Additionally, don't be afraid to seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with any concepts or coursework.

What career opportunities are available for CS Math double majors?

CS Math double majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some popular options include software engineering, data analysis, financial analysis, and actuarial science. Graduates may also pursue graduate studies in fields such as computer science, mathematics, or data science.