Will Shooting Down Satellites Be Visible?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satelite
In summary, the conversation discusses the visibility and timing of a satellite being shot down. The participants express interest in watching the event and mention a previous forum thread discussing the satellite. The weather is also mentioned as a factor in the timing of the event. One person expresses a desire to find a reliable source for up-to-date information on the event.
Ms Music
If this happens, will this be easily visible?

Also, does anyone know of a website or something that will announce when it is going to happen? I would love to be able to be outside watching if it is going to be visible. Well, assuming my skies will be clear enough to see anything at all... :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
There's already a thread about this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=211328

As you might imagine, there's quite a bit of interest from folks on this forum.

Last I heard, the weather on the Pacific was getting too rough for them to take a shot. Might have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks Lisa. That thread seems to have a conspiracy flavor to it though about what the satelite IS. I am just looking for someplace on the internet that I can get up to the minute information on when it will be shot down. I would like to try to see it if it is possible.

Ah. No, I'm not privy to any such sites. I know what I know about the satelite from the mainstream news - it's well filtered for any actual information, then watered down, down, down :smile: !

1. What does it mean to shoot down a satellite?

Shooting down a satellite refers to intentionally destroying a satellite in orbit using a weapon or other means. This can be done for various reasons, such as national security or to remove space debris.

2. Will shooting down satellites be visible from Earth?

It depends on the altitude and location of the satellite being shot down. If the satellite is in low Earth orbit (LEO), it is possible for people on the ground to see the debris and resulting explosion. However, if the satellite is in geostationary orbit (GEO), it is unlikely to be visible from Earth.

3. How often do satellites get shot down?

Satellites are rarely shot down intentionally. The last known instance was in 2008 when the United States destroyed a malfunctioning spy satellite. However, there have been accidental collisions between satellites and space debris, resulting in their destruction.

4. What are the potential consequences of shooting down a satellite?

The consequences of shooting down a satellite can vary depending on the purpose and location of the satellite. If it is a civilian or commercial satellite, it could disrupt communication or navigation services. If it is a military satellite, it could lead to tensions between countries and potential retaliations.

5. Is there a legal framework for shooting down satellites?

There is currently no international law specifically addressing the shooting down of satellites. However, there are international agreements and guidelines in place, such as the Outer Space Treaty and the Space Debris Mitigation Guidelines, that aim to promote responsible behavior in space and prevent the creation of more debris.